Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a four-day road trip and I've figured out how to sleep comfortably in my 2015 Sonata. I just need to figure out how to get a fan running at night to keep the air flowing so I don't wake up to a swampy mess from all the condensation.

So I'm wondering how I can keep a third-party fan running while the engine is off. I assume it won't draw enough power to drain my battery, right?

Something like this item on Amazon: B07BC2CYDD. I can't post links yet, but if you search on that item it will show up.

I'll be charging my laptop and phone off an inverter during the day while I'm driving, so I don't expect to need any additional power at night other than the fan.

Has anyone tried this before?

·
Registered
258 Posts
crack your windows maybe? even in ACC mode the car will warn you about too much power being drawn from the battery with just the radio on. I'M not sure of a way to effectively pull this off utilizing the car's resources. might i suggest a USB battery/power pack and a small USB-powered fan instead? both are much cheaper all together than a battery replacement haha. i get you, i like sleeping with a fan as well. have fun on your trip!

fan suggestion:

power pack suggestion:

2nd power pack find, since you're camping - why not try a solar powered power pack?:

·
Registered
110 Posts
On my 2017, the USB port is ON with the key off so a small USB fan drawing minimal power could work.

Frank 2017 Sonata SE with over 19K miles

·
Registered
258 Posts
On my 2017, the USB port is ON with the key off so a small USB fan drawing minimal power could work.

on for how long though? accessory circuits do typically stay alive after the engine is stopped but the moment you open the door it stops. the two circuits i know for sure that stay alive in practically every car with one 24/7 without engine start is OBD circuits and for our hyundais, BlueLink. accessory circuits aren't meant to run 24/7 without help from the car actually running. then again i haven't studied hyundai and other KDM cars as much as i have JDM.

let us know though, i'm interested. i'd check for myself but my lady has the car at the moment lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
On my 2017 Sonata it stays on with key out and door open. I have not waited for more than 30 seconds and maybe it goes off with the same timer as the headlights that shut off after several minutes. On some cars the cigarette lighters (or 12V aux sockets) are controlled by a relay and what Chrysler did to keep the socket ON all the time was to replace the relay with a relay with a always closed contact. I have read in the minivan forum where people identified the relay, took the cover off, and then soldered a jumper across the normally open contact.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
You better find out how many amps that fan draws. It will drain the battery if used long enough. Best to get a second battery to use as the power source and a dual battery charge set up.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Unless you exchange air with the outside, all the inside fans will do little. You need a blower to exchange air from the inside/outside. Otherwise, you have no choice but to keep the windows open.

Anything that draws on the car battery will kill it. So, you will need either another battery, or a lithium jumpstarter for morning starts. Everytime you run a car battery dead, you shorten its life drastically.

Skip the fan, get some window weather visors, and leave them cracked open.

https://www.weathertech.com/hyundai/2015/sonata/side-window-deflectors/sonata-engine/standard/

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Would have to agree on all the above... mainly, your windows will steam up. But I bet every state has a law against sleeping in cars overnight. Unless you find some 24 hour Walmart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Unless you exchange air with the outside, all the inside fans will do little. You need a blower to exchange air from the inside/outside. Otherwise, you have no choice but to keep the windows open.
That's the plan. I've got some window socks made of black mesh that cover the window so you can keep it rolled down without people being able to see inside. I thought two windows opened up a couple inches with a fan added to the mix would exchange the air enough to keep it comfortable.

Ultimately, I've decided to go with teezythakidd's suggestion to use a USB-powered fan with a 10,000 mAh rechargeable battery pack. I assume that's enough to keep a small fan going all night, and then I can just recharge it while I'm driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Now I've just got to figure out how to mount the fan near the window opening.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would have to agree on all the above... mainly, your windows will steam up. But I bet every state has a law against sleeping in cars overnight. Unless you find some 24 hour Walmart.

Walmart is a great place to overnight. 24-hour security, video cameras, on-site facilities and food. There are only a few Walmarts that don't allow people to overnight in their vehicles (mainly the ones around major tourist attractions like the Grand Canyon). All the other ones are fine with it.

But I'm personally going to be staying in the car lot at major truck stops like Loves, TA and Pilot. All the features of Walmart with the added bonus of clean showers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts