Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my favorite cars are the Audi RS4 and RS5. One of the cool things about them is that their mirrors have this brushed/matte silver metal on it.

I think this looks 50x better than chrome. I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if there's a way to make the chrome grills, chrome side spears, chrome door handles, and chrome rear trunk lid bar to be matte silver? How can this be done? Replace it all? Some sort of vinyl?

Does anyone know if someone sells some products like this

·
Registered
854 Posts
U could paint it to look close but you won't get an exact match for one is painted and one is brushed aluminum.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (jambaj0e @ Nov 18 2010, 09:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372717
How about sanding down all the chrome and buffing it?
the chrome could chip off, not a good idea, though saying that I just noticed my first chip one my chrome molding on the hood.

·
Registered
41 Posts
[I think this looks 50x better than chrome. I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if there's a way to make the chrome grills, chrome side spears, chrome door handles, and chrome rear trunk lid bar to be matte silver? How can this be done? Replace it all? Some sort of vinyl?

[/quote]

At the SEMA show this year, a big trend was wrapping cars in matte finish vinyl. Even close up, it was undistinguishable from paint. They had demos where you could watch the wrap applied with a heat gun and a small squeegee.

Meguiars and 3M make vinyl wraps in matte silver. I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (bsdjax @ Nov 19 2010, 06:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373241
[I think this looks 50x better than chrome. I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if there's a way to make the chrome grills, chrome side spears, chrome door handles, and chrome rear trunk lid bar to be matte silver? How can this be done? Replace it all? Some sort of vinyl?

At the SEMA show this year, a big trend was wrapping cars in matte finish vinyl. Even close up, it was undistinguishable from paint. They had demos where you could watch the wrap applied with a heat gun and a small squeegee.

Meguiars and 3M make vinyl wraps in matte silver. I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well.

Someone told me that vinyl wraps in the long term will be bad for the paint and the metal because due to the prolonged exposure to the sun, it glue will combine w/ the paint and may cause rust, too.

Is that true? I'm actually thinking about getting a matte black vinyl over the roof of the car to give that panaroma moonroof look in my White Pearl Turbo SE

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You can chemically treat chrome to accept primer. Just google it and it is fully explained. I once used 2-part epoxy paint to repaint a rubbery plastic bumper on a '77 Mercury Capri II. It looked very similar to the Audi mirror, and never needed to be painted again. So, chemicals + primer + 2-part epoxy paint= possible solution.
FYI: Chrome doesn't sand very well. You can bead blast it, but that can lead to the flaking that somebody else already mentioned. Sand blasting can cause paint prepping problems also. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (jambaj0e @ Nov 20 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373459
Someone told me that vinyl wraps in the long term will be bad for the paint and the metal because due to the prolonged exposure to the sun, it glue will combine w/ the paint and may cause rust, too.

Is that true? I'm actually thinking about getting a matte black vinyl over the roof of the car to give that panaroma moonroof look in my White Pearl Turbo SE

Go to www.wraptiva.com. Maguiars specializes in paint care of course, and they claim their wrap is safe for auto finishes. They have a "retail" kit that's designed for small areas and can be installed by amateurs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (bsdjax @ Nov 21 2010, 10:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373586
Go to www.wraptiva.com. Maguiars specializes in paint care of course, and they claim their wrap is safe for auto finishes. They have a "retail" kit that's designed for small areas and can be installed by amateurs.

Say, you think the Wraptivo's Textured collection would work for the wood inlays on the dash and door? I did the textured brush aluminum look and the carbon fiber grey and white look

Wraptivo

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Scott2011 @ Nov 20 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373460
You can chemically treat chrome to accept primer. Just google it and it is fully explained. I once used 2-part epoxy paint to repaint a rubbery plastic bumper on a '77 Mercury Capri II. It looked very similar to the Audi mirror, and never needed to be painted again. So, chemicals + primer + 2-part epoxy paint= possible solution.
FYI: Chrome doesn't sand very well. You can bead blast it, but that can lead to the flaking that somebody else already mentioned. Sand blasting can cause paint prepping problems also. Good luck.

Hmm, that sounds pretty cool. Gonna ask my friend at the body shop about this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts