Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Accent DOHC. The car died out and wouldn't take a boost. The battery light came on, I changed it today and it's still on. I tested the alternator at AutoZone and it shows FAIL LOW REGULATOR. I tested it with a multimeter and the batteries at 12V but when I turn it on it drops and doesn't come back up. I'm gonna change it but I'd like to know if anyone can give me a walk through or maybe pics.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know about this particular car, but generally speaking:

1) disconnect neg battery cable
2) turn serpentine belt tensioner with a 1/2" drive breaker bar, and slip belt off alt
3) disconnect the wiring connections at the alt, usually one pos batt cable and one other connector
4) remove alt mounting bolts and remove alt
5) rinse and repeat

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (RoosterSauce @ Oct 15 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363787

2) turn serpentine belt tensioner with a 1/2" drive breaker bar, and slip belt off alt
3) disconnect the wiring connections at the alt, usually one pos batt cable and one other connector
5) rinse and repeat
Before you attempt to turn the tensioner/adjustment bolt to move the alternator to loosen the belt, you need to loosen the alternator - there are a couple of bolts that lock it into place and 1 lock bolt on the belt adjustment mechanism itself. In the attached pic, the 2 bolts on the left as well as the bolt to the right side of the adjusting bolt need to be loosened, then you can loosen the belt with the adjusting bolt, remove the belt & then remove the bolts holding the alternator to pull it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (RoosterSauce @ Oct 15 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363787

5) rinse and repeat
Yea, you don't know this particular car.

Doesn't have a serpentine belt. Thus there is no auto tensioner,and a 1/2" drive breaker bar isn't needed at all.

12 and 13MM wrenches is all you need.

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (RoosterSauce @ Oct 18 2010, 12:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364239
No auto tensioner!? I guess that's how they keep the price so low. :grin:
IMHO, better design. If one belt breaks you don't loose everything :thumbsup: Unless it throws the other belt off :whistling:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It's a weird wedge type setup ; classic Hyundai.

Once the nut is off the square head bolt can be backed off, tap or pry on the end where the nut came off, the long square head bolt will move and alternator can be pryed upwards .

Takes quite a bit of force, alt is corroded into place sometimes. Good luck watch your knuckles---cheers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's a weird wedge type setup ; classic Hyundai.

Once the nut is off the square head bolt can be backed off, tap or pry on the end where the nut came off, the long square head bolt will move and alternator can be pryed upwards .

Takes quite a bit of force, alt is corroded into place sometimes. Good luck watch your knuckles---cheers.
I had to do this today, and struggled with that bolt for a bit. I found the easiest way to remove the square head bolt was to grab the edges of the square head with a pair of channel locks, and twist and pull at the same time, and was able to remove that bolt fairly easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts