Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says....How big of a USB Thumb drive will the Sonata recognize? I have a 8GB,but would like a bigger one....

I know they make them as big as 128GB!!! Does anyone know if a 32GB/64GB or bigger will work??

How big of one are you guys using? Just curious....

Thanks!!
Scotty B

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know how much of a difference there is between a thumb drive and a microsd card in a usb card reader (maybe someone can comment on that?), but I loaded a bunch of music on a 16gb microsd card, put it in a usb card reader, and it didn't work too well. It would start playing the music initially, but when I tried to skip songs, I'd get an error and I'd have to pull the reader out of the usb and reinsert it. I didn't mess around with it too much because I'm planning on getting the ipod cable and using my iphone, and for now the bluetooth streaming from the iphone is fine.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I use a 16GB USB thumb drive, works fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A lot would be dependent on whether the USB port in the car is USB 2.0 compliant. If it is, then they are required to be compatible with all USB 2.0 devices. This is most likely software related which would require a code fix from Hyundai (or their partner). I would contact the Dealer with the issue.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (joecd04475 @ May 17 2010, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323704
I don't know how much of a difference there is between a thumb drive and a microsd card in a usb card reader (maybe someone can comment on that?), but I loaded a bunch of music on a 16gb microsd card, put it in a usb card reader, and it didn't work too well. It would start playing the music initially, but when I tried to skip songs, I'd get an error and I'd have to pull the reader out of the usb and reinsert it. I didn't mess around with it too much because I'm planning on getting the ipod cable and using my iphone, and for now the bluetooth streaming from the iphone is fine.

Make sure that your folder names are begin with unique names. For example: Eric Clapton, and Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapman...
I had to rename to Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapmen (two spaces between Eric and Clapton)
Many users had similar issues.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I want to know if a USB external hard drive will work in the car. I asked in another thread, but never got any responses.

If so, I think it would be awesome to get a 2.5" 160 GB drive and load my entire library on there. Even if I had to rename all the folders to make them "Hyundai compatible", I would, and then I would just find a way to mount the drive semi-permanently into the car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I stated this previously. If they are using a USB port they are required to be compliant with USB standards. Therefore, the port itself will support anything you plug into it. From there, the OS that Hyundai is using has to be programmed to support the different devices. Most likely, they are using a Linux distribution. It is probably heavily scaled back and there may be limited drive support. The good news is this can all be updated by Hyundai or the vendor that designed the system.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 18 2010, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323953
I stated this previously. If they are using a USB port they are required to be compliant with USB standards. Therefore, the port itself will support anything you plug into it. From there, the OS that Hyundai is using has to be programmed to support the different devices. Most likely, they are using a Linux distribution. It is probably heavily scaled back and there may be limited drive support. The good news is this can all be updated by Hyundai or the vendor that designed the system.
You are correct, USB is a universal standard, but that doesnt mean the software has to recognize it.

So, I still dont have the answer of whether or not it will actually work! Someone has to know! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ May 17 2010, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323775
Make sure that your folder names are begin with unique names. For example: Eric Clapton, and Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapman...
I had to rename to Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapmen (two spaces between Eric and Clapton)
Many users had similar issues.
I renamed a bunch of the folders, and it works much better. Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am sure you could use a bigger one, the only issue is that with 128 gb there are so many songs that it would be a pain in the rear to find what you are looking for. I have an 80 gb ipod and I hate using it with the Sonata system because it takes forever to scroll to the artist I want.

Wish Hyundai had Sync system :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is one reason I think I am holding off until next year to purchase. Companies do not need the a system as significant as MyFord Touch to be competitive, but they need something that is almost as usable. If you look at the differentiation car companies can offer, there are very few things except warranty, safety, and user interfaces. For safety, all cars are pretty close or can modified to be. No domestic company can provide what Hyundai and Kia are offering. I don't know why though. User interface is hands down in Ford's lap. They have the best interface available and it is only getting better. All other companies are not even where Ford was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 18 2010, 09:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323953
It may let you plug it in, but it may not support it.

My BMW works with USB flash drives, but not with USB hard drives (Talking 2.5" that don't require external power too)

I know I'm repeating the same thing you are saying, but just want people to not make the assumption that if it works with one thing it will work with others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good News: You can run an external hard drive through your USB which means in theory you could have a MASSIVE music collection at your fingertips - I hooked a 320GB drive up and it worked flawlessly...once you format it correctly...your hyundai will not work with NTFS...must be FAT formatted.

Bad News: You car has a 2000 folder and 6000 file limitation....which means your menu will only read 2000 folders and 6000 files before it just stops reporting them. The folder limit is not a big deal for me but the file limit is. Alphabetically my music collection stops reporting at around L cuz that is where I hit the 6000 file mark...yes...I have that many songs.

While I understand that this will be fine for 99% of people it's a tad frustrating. So all this disccusion of mass storage and having massive music collections at your disposal is moot. The reality is that the average song is 4MB and your limit is 6000 so you really can't use more than 24GB of music....obviously if your files are extremely large this equation changes....

Sooo tragic too...the 320GB drive fits nicely in the compartment right above the USB port....

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (scrody @ Jun 9 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331337
Good News: You can run an external hard drive through your USB which means in theory you could have a MASSIVE music collection at your fingertips - I hooked a 320GB drive up and it worked flawlessly...once you format it correctly...your hyundai will not work with NTFS...must be FAT formatted.

Bad News: You car has a 2000 folder and 6000 file limitation....which means your menu will only read 2000 folders and 6000 files before it just stops reporting them. The folder limit is not a big deal for me but the file limit is. Alphabetically my music collection stops reporting at around L cuz that is where I hit the 6000 file mark...yes...I have that many songs.

While I understand that this will be fine for 99% of people it's a tad frustrating. So all this disccusion of mass storage and having massive music collections at your disposal is moot. The reality is that the average song is 4MB and your limit is 6000 so you really can't use more than 24GB of music....obviously if your files are extremely large this equation changes....

Sooo tragic too...the 320GB drive fits nicely in the compartment right above the USB port....
Thanks for the confirmation. This is the type of response I was looking for, although Im not happy about your actual answer! :)

Assuming 12 songs per CD, 6000 songs is like having a 500 disc CD changer in the car. While it would be nice to have an entire music collection, having immediate access to 500 CDs, especilly if they were compilation CDs with only the good songs should give you enough music to rotate through for a very long time.

If you are truly nuts about music, you could probably get a couple different 32 GB flash drives, and have 6000 songs on one, 6000 on another, etc, and just rotate them. That wouldnt be too bad IMO.

Anyway, thanks again for the response! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
No problem. 6000 is a lot of songs for sure....it's just the organizing that I now have to do in order to get my 6000 favorites....I'm thinking of just splitting my collection over a couple drives as you suggested so I don't have to bother re-organizing....laziness wins again! :grin:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't have the car manual in front of me at the moment but it does have a section in it that has the limitations for the USB use. I would recommend giving it a once over as there are some safety notes in on how your system can be damaged if not followed that I wasn't aware of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts