Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tapped my bumper into a wooden box that covered my neighbors plant on their curb as I was pulling into my driveway. I was driving really slowly, just the wooden box had a sharp edge that cracked the bumper.

How can I go about fixing the crack? Is it possible that I can do it myself or will I have to go to an auto body shop? How expensive would it be? Also, is the body piece fiberglass?

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I recently tapped my bumper into a wooden box that covered my neighbors plant on their curb as I was pulling into my driveway. I was driving really slowly, just the wooden box had a sharp edge that cracked the bumper.

How can I go about fixing the crack? Is it possible that I can do it myself or will I have to go to an auto body shop? How expensive would it be? Also, is the body piece fiberglass?

Any advice is appreciated.

That would take some real skill with fiberglas. If you're handy you can do it and have a body shop paint it. If you have a body shop do it it will cost about the same as buying a new one and having it painted.

Reactions: Tanwey

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Will be cheaper to just replace it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If it were mine, I would try gluing it back together before going after a replacement piece or paying someone else to repair it. If you can figure out how to remove the bumper cover, you might be able to apply glue and tape it from behind, or just apply tape behind it and fill in the cracks with touch up paint and clear coat. Depending on your level of tolerance for a slight gash, it might be good enough, or it might be hardly noticeable. Worth a try before spending hundreds on a new bumper cover.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Plastic repair seems labor intensive to get right, and results may vary. Me, I'd want at least a used one repainted (and blended if necessary - black I'm told is the best color to avoid having to blend adjacent panels)

·
Registered
207 Posts
"Plastic" is a pretty generic term here. Most bumpers are made of a mix of PolyCarbonate (PC) and ABS plastic, polycarbonate being more flexible (and expensive) while ABS is cheaper but breakable (frail). Once broken, these materials can't really be glued back together.
Fiberglass is not a good replacement as it tends to warp in different weather and is more prone to UV damage.

As others said, it's pretty cheap to get a new one and get it painted, but if you're low on finances, you can try to bend the pieces back in shape and do some "bumper stitching" to prevent further expansion of the crack, and replace the bumper at a later time.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Body shop new part with paint to match + - 1,500 Can claim collision (if you have it on your policy) and pay the deductible if you want an ins claim

Age of vehicle may not warrant repairing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts