Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing these forums for a week (and Sonatas for 3 months), and just created an account! I can't decide which trim I want. I keep going back and forth between GLS, SE, and Limited. Hopefully you guys can help me decide because I have some concerns over the seats in the limited.....

I have heard some negative things about the leather seats on the limited, and I was wanting to hear from all of you about your experiences, particularly those who have owned it for many months already.

How are the leather seats holding up? Any tears, markings or scratches? (pictures would be appreciated) How do you compare the leather to other cars. I only sat in one for about 30 seconds so I haven't really been able to develop a full impression.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I only have 2,500 miles on my car so I don't have a lot of "wear and tear" time on the seats but so far I haven't noticed any quality issues. I do have to say, yes these seats are not ones you would mistake for being in a Lexus but then again we aren't paying Lexus prices either. These seats could be a little softer but they don't bother me enough to want to trade the car. We just went on a 1,000 mile round trip and did not have any problems staying comfortable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine are doing OK, but only got 1000 miles. The leather is cheap and the seats are hard. The seats in my 2001 Ford Sporttrac (also leather) are night and day better - and that's a truck! With that said, I wanted a little higher end than a GLS, and my backside couldn't take the ride of a SE since this car is my DD, so I went with the Limited. So far, so good, but the seats leave a tremendous amt to be desired. Probably my biggest complaint so far.

·
Registered
854 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that some dealers install leather by their local upholstery people, so not all leather will be the same if it was installed by the dealer. I'm assuming all limited's though with factory leather should hold up the same.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There are not much to write home about. They are just ordinary. However, leather seats in general keep progressing towards the cheaper side anyway. People keep expecting soft pliable leather seats and manufacturers just are not providing those anymore.

Sit in one and its clear what you are getting. It cracks me up about complaints about the seat as they are right in front of your face. You see what you get.

As for wear (which is the OP's question), I only have 1200 miles and mine are fine. No wrinkles, sags or scratches...yet. :whistling:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
These leather seats are the cheapest quality I ever had in any of my cars, my 2008 sonata had better quality seats, then my 04 altima had insanely good leather. Heck my 93 olds cutlass leather was by far the best so I agree.

I work in a shop so i get to see all different cars. I would rate Nissan / Infinity leather really up there. High end Mercedes is good, same with Audi and BMW. But the thickness and feel of the Nissan/infinity is by far my favorite. Really not a fan of chevy or ford leather. unless its on high end like a corvette

BTW the dealer swapped out my pass seat under warranty because the leather really started to bunch up on it on the bottom cushion. it was to the point where you could feel that material folding over it self. The seat it self sees any activity so if anything should be better than the drivers seat. yet my driver seat is in like perfect condition... Dealer originally stated the seat it self had to be re pulled.... that wasint it. if anything i think they went cheap on the foam and its not applying enough pressure to the leather.

my to cents on it.

EDIT: i prefer to have crappy leather than outstanding cloth. Im one of those people who hate that grabbing feeling cloth gives you. Ive had leather in all of my cars for that reason.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Leather is cheap, as expected, and only the 'dimpled' areas are leather; rest is vinyl. Also typical of this price range. And yes, seats have the softness of a park bench, especially the rear ones. Finally, seats are one area you're NOT going to know if they're comfortable (for YOU) until you take a long trip. The seats on my M3 are hard, but are the best I've ever had, and I've had a few nice cars. BUT they're perfectly shaped, and have all knds of adjustments. Bottom line is it doesn't matter if the seats are hard, but HOW they're shaped. And without proper adjustments, if hard, they're not going to make a lot of folks happy :grin:.

Finally, I honestly don't want soft leather anymore. Feels nice, sure, but looks like crap very quickly. It creases, stretches, wrinkles, bunches up, etc. And it's also easily damaged. So I'm fine with thick leather, rather than soft, but you're not going to get neither on a Sonata. Haven't taken my typical 800-mile, 2-day trip to see my daughter on the Sonata (winter conditions), but I suspect my butt won't be happy. We'll see. My 2 daughters complained about the hard seat on a 200-mile trip, so that wasn't good news. I sat back there, and man, it's hard as a rock indeed. Fronts are definitely better. Seems like family trips are out on this car, but I might 'torture' my kids once to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My car has about 4K miles... purchased in April. Seats are very firm, and the leather is not as soft as other cars I have had. No wear issues at this point.
FWIW, my previous experience with Hyundai leather in a Santa Fe was similar. Hard and stiff, but lasted well. Traded it at about 80K miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The leather in my S2K is far superior to that in my Sonata. But still, I prefer the leather in my Limited to what is in the GLS and SE.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I personally prefer the SE seats over the Limited all leather seats. I've always had cloth seats in my cars & I am really impressed with the quality & look of the SE seats. Probably since it's a step up from the plain cloth that I'm used to. I'm sure they will wear over time, but they are easy to clean & seem pretty durable in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Those who aren't a fan can always get katzkin put in for under $2k. Can even personalize it and all too.

·
Registered
717 Posts
First off the person with the S2K should be kicked in the nuts. Why post a $35K+ car in with a $25K sedan? Sure my 2010 M3 seats are nicer and **** the car is faster too but that doesn't mean you can compare it to a Sonata. Please compare cars and its parts to equal cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is with the attitude on this forum? "Kicked in the nuts"???? I've seen a lot of sour posts around here. What gives? Have a lot of members had their corn flakes p*ssed in lately? Gesh!

As for the comparison, those are the cars I own period. Both have leather and I provided an anecdotal comment. For what its worth, the S2000 wasn't $35K back in 2003 either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try some leather conditioner I applied Lexol right after purchasing which helped soften the leather. Now into sixth month with 4000 miles on seats still look great, very happy with them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys lets not get :eek:fftopic: here. Let's focus on the Sonata leather and not get into personal attacks, ok?

I understand that the leather is cheap and the look, feel, and firmness are all subjective to personal preference. I'm just worried because if I decide to buy the upper end Sonata, I want it to be my car that lasts for 8-10 years. If after 3 years the seats begin to tear, deteriorate, discolor, wrinkle, and all sorts of other stuff I will NOT be pleased! :mad:

I know it isn't possible to predict 3 years into the future with only 6 months of history, but if there were even just a couple people in here talking about the deterioration of their leather seats ALREADY... well then I don't think I would be able to go with the Limited in good conscience..

Gosh, such difficult decisions. GLS provides everything I need really, but the extra features on the SE and Limited really make me wanna go the extra mile. (honestly the push start is one of the features I am craving the most) But I have seen the thread here on the SE seats tearing up, and I have low expectations about these leather ones... I actually did see one picture of a Limited seat with torn leather... but maybe that is just an isolated incident.... Would Hyundai replace the leather seats while still under warranty if they were damaged under normal conditions?

·
Registered
589 Posts
For those concerned about leather durability on this car, you shouldn't be worried IMO. Thick leather on hard seats will last the longest due to less stretching on leather and seams, less prone to damage, and takes longer to dehydrate. Once dehydrated, anything is going to crack. Even coated automotive leather needs conditioning, and here is where many owners fail to do so. Condition your seats a few times a year and they should last looking like new for a long time. This is especially important in hot climates. Yes, many will say their seats look perfect after a year or two without any care, but once they're dry enough, will start cracking; no question about that. For about $10 a year for a premium conditioner, it's cheap insurance folks.

My main beef with the Sonata seats is the cheap-looking stamped pattern (dimples), but it's not horrible. And at least looks different. It's still the best choice. I wanted the SE, but the seats looked horribly cheap IMO, and the interior somber (no choices there). Plus my daughter complained of no rear vents, so that clinched the choice. Good day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts