Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of May I bought a 2011 SE. It has almost 51K on it now. I still have 17.1 left on the loan, but I'm itching to get a 2.0t (I should've got a new one from the beginning and I knew I'd eventually want to change my mind).

I'm pretty sure I overpaid for this car (16.6k + taxes fees etc) but whatever, that's a moot point right now. There's a dealership 3 hours from me that does "bottom-line" pricing stuff, and it's 21k for a turbo SE w/o nav (I don't need nav).

2013 Hyundai Sonata at Ciocca Hyundai in Quakertown

In any case, would it be stupid to trade up so soon? I'm not sure what a dealer would actually pay for a trade in. I know I'd be losing money.

Also, when does Hyundai do their model-year end clearance? That may be the best time for me. What about warranty work? Do you have to take it to the original dealer?

Someone talk me out of this, tell me how stupid I am and how much of a difference there isn't between the 2.4 and the 2.0

·
Registered
323 Posts
Honestly, it depends on what they give you on the trade in. When the 2014s hit the lot, they will be more willing to move on the 13s. I can't tell you the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.0, as I've only driven the turbo. I love the turbo, but mileage isn't very good in the city. Warranty work can be done at any dealership, regardless of purchase.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That price includes all incentives so the chances of you getting that price is slim That price also doesn't include the cost of closing

·
Registered
564 Posts
At the end of May I bought a 2011 SE. It has almost 51K on it now. I still have 17.1 left on the loan, but I'm itching to get a 2.0t (I should've got a new one from the beginning and I knew I'd eventually want to change my mind).

I'm pretty sure I overpaid for this car (16.6k + taxes fees etc) but whatever, that's a moot point right now. There's a dealership 3 hours from me that does "bottom-line" pricing stuff, and it's 21k for a turbo SE w/o nav (I don't need nav).

2013 Hyundai Sonata at Ciocca Hyundai in Quakertown

In any case, would it be stupid to trade up so soon? I'm not sure what a dealer would actually pay for a trade in. I know I'd be losing money.

Also, when does Hyundai do their model-year end clearance? That may be the best time for me. What about warranty work? Do you have to take it to the original dealer?

Someone talk me out of this, tell me how stupid I am and how much of a difference there isn't between the 2.4 and the 2.0
There is a dealer about 1 hour from you that also does the "low price" gimmick. Certainly closer than driving to PA?

Fitzgerald Auto Malls Hyundai Sonata 2013

You can take the car to any Hyundai dealer in the United States for factory warranty service. If you do any dealer specific upsells (tires for life, etc.), then you would have to go back to the selling dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a dealer about 1 hour from you that also does the "low price" gimmick. Certainly closer than driving to PA?

Fitzgerald Auto Malls Hyundai Sonata 2013

You can take the car to any Hyundai dealer in the United States for factory warranty service. If you do any dealer specific upsells (tires for life, etc.), then you would have to go back to the selling dealer.
Fitzgerald's price was real, I bought from them before. Problem was it was a piece of crap impala that blew the tranny after i had it for 10k, which set me back 2600 dollars, and they did one **** of a job covering up the hundreds of dings on it that showed up after the first car wash. To **** with them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Fitzgerald's price was real, I bought from them before. Problem was it was a piece of crap impala that blew the tranny after i had it for 10k, which set me back 2600 dollars, and they did one **** of a job covering up the hundreds of dings on it that showed up after the first car wash. To **** with them.
I had a 2006 Impala. The tranny wasn't one of its strong points...actually the car didn't have many strong points aside from the fuel economy and relative comfort. :D

You could always go to Fitzgerald for the car and elsewhere for service.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Financially, it would be a bad decision. You will lose thousands.
+1 This is financial suicide. Unless you have $$ to put down towards the new one, keep riding. You are not missing that much to go broke just for 74 more hp.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Turbo makes a big difference. Not that its necessary, but its a significant difference when passing and when loaded down. That said, my 2.4 does fine in 90% of all situations. Only when I have the whole family and luggage loaded and need to merge quickly does the little 2.4 strain a bit. The Turbo feels more like a V8. Lots of torque right off the start. The non turbo has to spool up a second and downshift. Turbo is more fun but not necessary. IMO, a no brainer to go Turbo for the small price increase and with the great Hyundai warranty. In my area, they only want another $700 or so for a turbo these days. MPG will suffer though, as you will be more likely to put your foot in it all the time!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I drove a 2011 2.4 Sonata, and didnt like the lack of low end power for city driving. After driving it, I knew I had to at least test drive the 2.0T. Needless to say, I bought the 2.0T. Hands down the better motor. Got all the options I wanted (fully loaded) and paid a reasonable amount for it. Definitely happy I did all of my research and was able to find the exact car I wanted!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
if you are regretting that you missed out on 74 hp....might was well as skip the sonata turbo and go get the mustang gt, hemi challenger, etc.

the turbo in city driving is pointless. so, you get to the next stop light a second quicker than i would have in my 2.4. i've had my 2.4 loaded couple of times with 4 adults and trunk packed to the max. no problem on the highways...up and around denver area...and down thru the smoky mountains to get to atlanta.

since you have the SE already...i'd be wise and keep my financial portfolio in shape before i would throw it all to he** for 74hp.

but, to each their own, and you asked for opinions.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have a 2013 SE with the 2.4 and frankly, I don't see why you "must" have a turbo. I did some pretty dicey driving recently and it was not lacking for power in my estimation. I've had turbos in the past and they are "neat" at first but eventually it fades in the background under normal conditions.

Unless there is something you can't live with, I would just hang onto it and be happy. The SE is a good compromise in that it has sportier handling than does the Limited and can be ordered with most of the same options.

But if you are bound and determined to get a turbo, you need to check around and see what the dealers will do for you. You might get lucky. What you have going for you right now is the $2,000 rebate on the 2013's. I was in the military (only need a DD214) so I got an extra $500 for a total of $2,500 off the MRSP before any other negotiations took place.

I'd leave well enough alone but know the numbers. And remember that two transactions will happen. You will buy his car and he will buy yours. Don't get wrapped around the axle with "trade-ins" or you will never know what you got for your current car. You want to deal in "real dollars."

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
At the end of May I bought a 2011 SE. It has almost 51K on it now. I still have 17.1
I also bought an 11 SE in May of this year however it was a CPO with 35K and I paid $17K but I financed $18K after trade-in and down... I also wanted a 2.0T however I was rushed in getting a car, as my car broke down, so I didn't have time to look hard and got this one cause it was a good deal... KBB on it was $20K... I'll give it a year and I'm going to look at the numbers on trading it in for a 13 this time next year when the 15's are hitting the lots cause I just don't believe in buying a new car when a CPO is just as good with a better price IMO... Good luck with your choice as you are in the same boat as me pretty much... lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You got the better deal lol. Our prices were close but mine had 14k more miles. I felt the need to get rid of my impala. So many thigns went wrong, and after a brand new paint job, it started getting chipped and I'm like NOPE I'M DONE WITH THIS CRAP LUCK.

A week later some jerk rammed a cart or something into the side of my sexy sonata. I still ahven't fixed that. Was going to put that chrome molding over it, since it's at the bottom lip of the door, but that arrived defective. Might just get that cheap carbonfiber-print that on vinyl or something. Woudln't look so bad against my gray

http://dtgautos.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1958

·
Registered
107 Posts
I still have 17.1 left on the loan
I'm pretty sure I overpaid for this car (16.6k + taxes fees etc)
Please forgive the admittedly nosy question, but assuming $16,600 + $1000 in tax + a few hundred in fees, you're talking almost exactly $18,000.

And after more than 2 years, you still have $17,100 on your car loan?

How? I mean, I just don't understand how you could have paid off barely $1000 of that debt.

Unless, of course, when you purchased your 2011 Sonata SE, you traded in another car, on which you owed more than the car's trade-in value. And that difference (between its trade-in value and what you still owed on it) was "rolled into" your '11 Sonata SE's financing. (In which case, you've already hosed yourself once, and it would seem especially foolish to do it to yourself again, simply in search of a little extra horsepower.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wait what, where are you getting that I've had this car for over two years?
My mistake. When I read "At the end of May I bought a 2011 SE," I misinterpreted it as indicating that in May of 2011, you purchased a Sonata SE. Whereas I should have understood you were talking about buying a used 2011 SE in May of 2013.

Although I still maintain that it'd be a foolish move financially (and arguably in other ways) to replace the car with a Sonata Turbo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts