Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is kinda a minor and silly point, but the glasses compartment in the car can get fairly hot.

The >30c (86f) temperatures we've been having kept my glasses nice and toasty. The black metal frame was fairly hot to the touch. My best guess in terms of how hot the glasses got was about 40-50c (100-122f). I think the main reason for the high temps is because the all black top on the sunroof models absorbs quite a bit of heat.

Does anyone have similar experiences or opposite experiences on the coloured roof models?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,840 Posts
I use to keep some prescription sunglasses in mine on the Gen Coupe. it delaminated the tint on the glasses in spots.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Don't have Elantra, but do have Sonata. The glasses holder gets real hot and I have no sunroof, blue paint. There was another thread where someone was working out a way to try insulating better between the glasses holder and the roof to help a bit. I have resorted to just storing them on the dash with a sun visor across the windshield. Mine are also not laminated or prescription, so its ok for me. I do not recommend leaving any prescription/laminated glasses in a car in AZ at all. If further north, they'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There's no need to insulate the glasses holder. Insulation just slows the transfer of heat.

You need to wrap your sunglasses holder with aluminum foil to create a radiant barrier instead. This will reflect the heat away from your sunglasses holder.

I did this last year with my 2013 EGT and it felt like it brought the temperature down by 10-20 degrees up there in the summer. I just removed the sunglasses holder from the roof, wrapped the housing where the sunglasses sat with radiant barrier (fancy aluminum foil that doesn't tear), then screwed the holder back in place. Radiant barrier needs to only exist between the shell of the holder, and the roof of the car. It does not need to be visible at all when the work is completed.

Another option you have is to leave the glasses holder open whenever you park your car out in the sun ;-)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess this issue is a lot more common than I thought. I haven't had similar issues with the other vehicles, but they didn't have a dark roof.

I might give your suggestion a shot, CyprusCorner. I gave the slot a shot with an IR thermometer and it's reading about 57c (135f). It's definitely quite toasty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know this is kinda a minor and silly point, but the glasses compartment in the car can get fairly hot.

The >30c (86f) temperatures we've been having kept my glasses nice and toasty. The black metal frame was fairly hot to the touch. My best guess in terms of how hot the glasses got was about 40-50c (100-122f). I think the main reason for the high temps is because the all black top on the sunroof models absorbs quite a bit of heat.

Does anyone have similar experiences or opposite experiences on the coloured roof models?
I use a sunshade in the front windshield. Which keeps the internal temps around 20 degrees lower than without it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a sunshade in the front windshield. Which keeps the internal temps around 20 degrees lower than without it.
Thanks for the tip. Those shades are definitely a life saver.

I do have a front windshield sunshade as well, but it seems the heat is radiating directly on top of the roof where the compartment is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This isn't exclusive to Hyundai. I've had many cars with sunglass holders and they are all the same thing. I think my old Silverado was the only vehicle I had that had a gap and some form of insulation between the holder and the roof. Still warmed them up though.

The only suggestion I have is to definitely get a windshield shade and crack your windows if you are comfortable with it. Getting rain visors for the doors helps with this. Letting air circulate and not just be trapped and bake all day helps with cabin temps.

Also, when you get into a hot car, roll all your windows down, turn your AirCon on the highest setting on fresh air setting. Once the air coming out of the vents is cool, roll your windows up and once the cabin starts to feel cool, turn on the recirculate.

Reactions: justink

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't even bother with the sunglass holder anymore - for the models with the electronic parking brake, the open compartment where the manual brake would go is just big enough for my sunglasses, and they don't get nearly as hot. Than again - I have small clip ons.

Also - as far as cooling the car, if you are going to turn on the AC and then drive right away, lower only the back windows with the AC on full blast - this will push all the air out the back as you are moving forward and the air flows from front to back - it will cool the car faster. Try it - it really works! If you are going to sit for a few minutes then put down all the windows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a pair of sunglasses snap off my face a few weeks back. At first, I was a bit annoyed and upset cause I've had the sunglasses for a little over a year and I keep good care of them, but then I started to put the pieces together. These pair stay exclusively in the GT's sunglass holder, and the summer heat right now has been in the mid 20s, so I figured the car is even worse.

Hard lesson learned...don't leave sunglasses or anything valuable in your car in the summer heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts