Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sonata GLS that with or without the AC on still blows hot air through the vents at all times. I have 110k miles on the car and it will not be covered so just trying to see what it could be myself before bringing it into a shop.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I get Ice Cold Air, and it can get rather toasty out here. If you do not want hot air blowing in, when the A/C is Off, press the

recirculate button. However I would take it in for the $19.95 diagnostic service at Pep Boys! Sounds like a compressor or a major component.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (billyknep @ Jun 29 2010, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337293
I have a 2006 Sonata GLS that with or without the AC on still blows hot air through the vents at all times. I have 110k miles on the car and it will not be covered so just trying to see what it could be myself before bringing it into a shop.

Any ideas?
I had a car once were the air temperature control got stuck on heat, no matter what position it was in from cold to hot. It might be as simple as a vacuum hose came loose or developed a leak or the actual controller might have failed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (billyknep @ Jun 30 2010, 03:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337374
The hot air comes through even with the AC and heat off.
How do you turn the heat off, by adjusting the air temperature control. All it does is control how much outside/cabin/AC air is taken in versus air that has been heated by heater core. If that is stuck on heat then no matter what you do, heat will always come out of whatever vents you have selected, regardless of whether or not the AC is on.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
You need to check a few things: A. whether the hot air coming in is hot OUTSIDE air, or B. is the air HEATED by the system....

Keep the AC on, turn the temp knob to the coldest position.

A. Check late night, when the outside temp. is low (if that ever happens these days). If it's cool outside and hot air comes in (when the engine has been working for a while and is hot) -- than obviously your HEATER IS STUCK ON, producing heat, no matter what the AC is doing...

B. Test it during a hot day, you just started the car the first time, engine still cold, and it's hot outside -- and already hot air is coming in, obviously the hot air is outside air, not produced by your heater. Your AC is not functioning.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Jun 30 2010, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337459
Either way, if you have your AC on, and the temp. control is at the coldest -- your AC system is not working properly. Test A. tells you the AC is shot and doing nothing. Test B. tells you your HEATER is stuck on the ON position, even though your AC might be functioning OK....
Not necessarily, if the air temperature control is stuck on heat, then running the AC with the temperature control on the coldest setting will still produce heat and does not mean the AC is not working, since the air will be coming from the heater core, not from the AC even though it is running. Also, I've never had the outside air temperature feel as hot as when the heat is fully on, even when it is hot outside, which can reach over 100 degrees at times. In fact, I rarely use AC during in town driving to lessen load on engine, save gas, etc. and the vent air has at best been warm, never hot. The movement of the air does cool it slightly and may feel warm but not hot like when the heat is on.

My old Saturn's engine used to warm up considerably up mountain passes in the summer time. To cool down the engine while minimizing impact to me and passengers, I used to turn heat all the way on and set the vent to the defrost setting to get air up and out of the car as fast as possible through slightly cracked windows. The defrost setting also means the second fan was running as well as the AC compressor, this in no way caused any cool/cold air to come out of the vents.

IMHO, whenever HOT air is coming out of the vents regardless of the settings of ANY of the climate controls, the air diverter is stuck on the heater core. I guess the diverter could be physically stuck by an obstruction, but more than likely the air temperature control has failed or that the vacuum hoses are leaking/broken/disconnected not allowing the air diverter to move to stop getting all the air from the heater core.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I actually EDITED my text after I posted it, but still BEFORE you posted yours... Yes, as you can read on my edited text, the AC could be functioning, while the HEATER is on.... This is actually what's happening in a cold winter, when you turn the defrost on to DRY the inside warm air, clear the windows from fogging. The air comes in warm -- but dry.

Using my 2 tests can distinguish better between a failing AC and a stuck HEATING system.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Is the A/C Fan coming on. Is the A/C Belt damaged. Is the compressor kicking in. Have you looked at fuses. There used to be

a little window where you could see if there was Freon in the system. When you saw all those bubbles was that good or bad though?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Jun 30 2010, 01:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337529
I actually EDITED my text after I posted it, but still BEFORE you posted yours... Yes, as you can read on my edited text, the AC could be functioning, while the HEATER is on.... This is actually what's happening in a cold winter, when you turn the defrost on to DRY the inside warm air, clear the windows from fogging. The air comes in warm -- but dry.

Using my 2 tests can distinguish better between a failing AC and a stuck HEATING system.
As 2 independent tests, you are correct. I, mistakenly, read into your post that these test were run consecutively, and was pointing out that test B was inconclusive until heating system was working properly again. My apologies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it has been a long time, but just got around to getting it checked out. I took it to my local Pepboys for the 24.99 evaluation. They told me it was working but wasn't sure how long. I got in the car to drive home and it wasn't working.

They are saying it is the "Blend Door" is stuck. They said they don't fix those parts. I called Hyundai and they said that you cannot just replace the blend door and that they usually only break if the car is in an accident (wasn't) and that it could be the controls.

Guess I have to bring it into pepboys. I'd love to be able to fix this myself just don't know what to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Leaves in Climate control Filter

Hi Not Hot air from Vent,s but hot air from me re the above ,
I recently had service on my 2016 Elantra GT Oil change etc The people showed me a pile of Leaves in that Compartment behind glove box , quite a pile larger than would ever get though the vent by wipers ! no evidence of nests eaten away filter etc just leaves , I had this filter replaced 5 k ago at that time found a small nest , can be expected being as new car I thought,
There are No leaves around my property they are cleaned a bagged , a few Chip Monks are running around but as mentioned Those leaves were too big to go through any vents and nothing on floor of car ! , have inspected and found no other way but to have been put there ? anyone else had same trouble please thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts