Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I go to start my 06 sonata and i get the worst start and rough idle i've ever seen on a car..

sounds like the engine is choking for fuel or oxygen..

I stopped and restarted it several times but the same result.. It sat overnight between a successful start and then this.. This is the V6 version..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe a mass airflow sensor issue?

no codes were showing when it was running but I'll run the OBDII scan against it later today

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Did you refuel it recently? Maybe got some bad gas which would get worse after sitting for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gas was maybe a week old..

I I braved it and let it idle for about a minute and eventually it coughed and spluttered to life. There was a foul smell of gas but no leaks. I let it run for half hour and it ran fine. Nothing on the observed sensors.. I guess some bad fuel..

If it comes back it'll go into the dealer..

Crisis averted for now

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Might want to check fuel filter also. Could have caused problem or got damaged from bad gas.

Might want to keep a bottle of "Dri-Gas" around JIC it happens again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is checking the fuel filter a DIY thing or into the dealer..

Many thanks for the recommendation :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Skip the MAF, not something we replace on our end.

Fuel filter, pass, we dont have fuel filter problems..

I'd be more interested in hooking up to GDS and see what is hiding in the PCM for DTC....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sbr711

if you tell me what you want to see I can try pull it.. I assume using an OBDII reader?

I've driven it for 20 miles later this evening and all seems fine.. We'll see in the morning after it sat in the driveway for 10 hours

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jazzhands @ Aug 6 2010, 01:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347501
sbr711

if you tell me what you want to see I can try pull it.. I assume using an OBDII reader?

I've driven it for 20 miles later this evening and all seems fine.. We'll see in the morning after it sat in the driveway for 10 hours
Scan it, and post the "P" codes as displayed on your reader screen... I aint worried about descriptions, I know what most of them are from working with them all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts