Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I just want to share my experience so far.

I traded in a 2010 Genesis V6 3.8 for a 2013 Santa Fe AWD 2.0T Limited and I love it.. with the exceptions of... Fuel consumption.

I know that this topic has been talked about several times before.. and I don't feel this is getting the attention it should. The US has some kind of Fuel reimbursement for this issue.. but here in Canada we out of luck??

*I Got my Santa Fe Nov 6 2013 and have had to fill up 5 times already. On average I'm burning 14.5ltr/100km! This is nowhere near the posted consumption data. I reset my trip each fill up and at my best .. i reset it an 403km .. worst was 389km to a full tank!

*The fuel Indicator seems erratic.. it will show full for the first 120km the i can almost watch it reduce 2 more bricks in 5 mins while driving on the highway (110km Max) Or.. on my third tank.. i watched a brick disappear after driving no more then 15km (normal driving)

My V6 3.8 Gen would average at lease 490-520km to a tank!

I know that turbos are a little harder on fuel.. but not this bad.. it a 4cyl!!!! How can this be??

Are other Santa Fe owners having the same issues??

*Not to mention My Vehicle is only 3 weeks old and its already back at the dealer for excessive wind noise on the passenger door and the reverse beeping sensors are not working..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hello,

I traded in a 2010 Genesis V6 3.8 for a 2013 Santa Fe AWD 2.0T Limited and I love it.. with the exceptions of... Fuel consumption.

I know that this topic has been talked about several times before.. and I don't feel this is getting the attention it should. The US has some kind of Fuel reimbursement for this issue.. but here in Canada we out of luck??

*I Got my Santa Fe Nov 6 2013 and have had to fill up 5 times already. On average I'm burning 14.5ltr/100km! This is nowhere near the posted consumption data. I reset my trip each fill up and at my best .. i reset it an 403km .. worst was 389km to a full tank!

*The fuel Indicator seems erratic.. it will show full for the first 120km the i can almost watch it reduce 2 more bricks in 5 mins while driving on the highway (110km Max) Or.. on my third tank.. i watched a brick disappear after driving no more then 15km (normal driving)

I know that turbos are a little harder on fuel.. but not this bad.. it a 4cyl!!!! How can this be??

*Not to mention My Vehicle is only 3 weeks old and its already back at the dealer for excessive wind noise on the passenger door and the reverse beeping sensors are not working..
There was a recall on the reverse sensor.

Also, saying I have filled my tank up 5 times means nothing, every day you can drive differently, every trip can be a different distance. Cold weather has a negative effect.
Also try filling your tank, then recording your mileage, then when it's time to fuel up again record your mileage and how much fuel you used. Then compare. the sensor could be misleading. But mine shows full for almost the first 100km I drive. Also, the empty fuel signal comes up about 100-150km to empty. The best I have had on a tank was 8.8km/100km all highway driving 120km/hour and the worst was 13.1km/100km all city and hard on the pedal. the car was new and I had fun.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The fuel gauge will be a little "off" until you've reached about 5-6,000 km - then you'll see a small improvement...
I also the have the 2.0T SE AWD, and live in Southern Ontario - and I average 11.2 L/100... on a full tank, it shows 535km to empty...

Regarding the fuel reimbursment program - it does not exclude Canada, in fact my wife is eligible for that program with her 2012 Elanata. It was also available for the 2012 Santa Fe, but you would have had to have purchase it before November of 2012 to be eligible for it.... after that, the new figures were posted, so after that... you can't get the rebates.

I came from a 2005 Jeep Gr Cherokee - and this SFS is amazing on fuel if you ask me. It will get better as I mentioned... but keep in mind, it is a CUV, and it's running on 4 cyl - there is a ceiling to fuel milage with this combo.

PS - also make sure you're driving with the ECO off...
Enjoy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drive city only and my average is around 12.5 l/100 Km, it shows around 475 on a full tank. Yours is a little bit high. I used to drive a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder so for me this looks great average :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
The vehicle is still new, allow it to break in. I did a 1200km trip at around 8000kms of ownership and since then i get and extra 100kms or so from a tank of fuel in town. It is also winter, fuel mileage drops quite a bit when its cold weather you let it idle or not.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The use of eco button and subsequent decrease in gas mileage could fall into what is sometimes termed the "cobra effect" denoting unintended consequences.

Ditto with respect to mpg and the employment of the turbo 4 in the 2013 sport which is lighter than the 2012 Sante Fe which utilized a V6 engine - according to EPA figures the 2012 yields better gas mileage than the 2013 2.0T . And it looks like those who choose the larger heavier V6 powered LWB model are seeing better fuel economy than those of us driving the 2.0T Sport. Maybe another example of the "Cobra Effect " ?

On the bright side gas prices in the US at least continue to fall - hope it's the same for you folks in Canada.

Here is link to examples of the "Cobra Effect "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hope you guys up North aren't using the dash computer to figure you MPG/KmL . I pay no attention to it hardly at all now. Figure it the old fashion way .. pen and paper. That is the ONLY way you will know your true mileage. Mine has not gotten better as the miles rack up.
I am, however, seeing better MPG as the miles add up and at my first oil change switched to Mobile 1, maybe that has helped also.
All that said I am "living" with the MPG I am getting and hopping to see it get better as I add more miles to my SFS.
I had hope that the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder would do better than my 2010 3.5 V6 even though the 2013 is a turbo. Not so, it is running 2-3 MPG less.
Don't bother with the ECO button, leave it off. I started getting better miles to the gallon when I turned it off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The use of eco button and subsequent decrease in gas mileage could fall into what is sometimes termed the "cobra effect" denoting unintended consequences.
What do you mean about the Eco button and a decrease in gas mileage? I have been tracking my gas mileage for almost 6 months with Eco mode on and off, and so far, I haven't been able to draw any meaningful conclusions. I can't say with any degree of certainty that it improves gas mileage (which is not a ringing endorsement of using Eco mode in the first place). Are you saying it actually decreases gas mileage? If so, what do you base that on? Also if so, why would an optimally tuned engine (which is what Eco mode is) lead to worse gas mileage?

·
Registered
759 Posts
There must at least 4-5 threads on the ECO button alone, and it's poor performance both for "lag" and fuel consumption.
Most have us agree it's probably a feature meant for highway driving, but not the city at all.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mine has not gotten better as the miles rack up.

I am, however, seeing better MPG as the miles add up and at my first oil change switched to Mobile 1, maybe that has helped also.
I`m confused..:confused:....Are you, or are you not, seeing better MPG as the miles add up?

With mine, I noticed an improvement at around 4,000 - 5,000 miles...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
What do you mean about the Eco button and a decrease in gas mileage? I have been tracking my gas mileage for almost 6 months with Eco mode on and off, and so far, I haven't been able to draw any meaningful conclusions. I can't say with any degree of certainty that it improves gas mileage (which is not a ringing endorsement of using Eco mode in the first place). Are you saying it actually decreases gas mileage? If so, what do you base that on? Also if so, why would an optimally tuned engine (which is what Eco mode is) lead to worse gas mileage?
Well this is what I alluded to by the "cobra effect" . Many on here including myself find that the use of ECO mode has a negative impact on vehicle driveability - in terms of smoothness and of course responsiveness and this can result in heavier use of throttle and therefore reduction in mpgs.

And IMO it's arguable whether ECO mode yields an optimally tuned engine , I guess that would depend on how you defined optimal tune.

The original poster made a comment regards one of the intended benefits of using a 4 cylinder engine is enhanced fuel efficiency but like some others have commented they were surprised disappointed or even angered to find out that's not necessarily the case with Hyundai's 2.0T implementation in the SFS when compared to Hyundai's former and current V6 offering as well as competing 4 cylinder offerings.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Well I have a little over 1100 miles on my Santa Fe now and I have been getting between 20-21 mpg and about 320-340 miles on a tank. I miss going 400+ miles a tank with my Sonata, but this car does have a smaller gas tank on it compared to the Sonata.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello,

I had a V6 Genesis and while I don't have AWD, I get about the same gas mileage in the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My experience has been that the 2.0T (vs V6) will get better MPGs when driven conservatively and 65 MPH or less because the turbo is not being pounded. If you drive your cars aggressively, MPGs will roughly be the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have tried with the eco button on ..(only on hwy) and off all together.. and I've been extremely gentle in regards to the turbo... but still averaging about 14.5/100km... this is bad! I love the car and all the features but the fuel consumption is killing me! I almost want to give the truck back or trade it in for the 2.4l :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have tried with the eco button on ..(only on hwy) and off all together.. and I've been extremely gentle in regards to the turbo... but still averaging about 14.5/100km... this is bad! I love the car and all the features but the fuel consumption is killing me! I almost want to give the truck back or trade it in for the 2.4l :(
I'm usually around 11.3, it was in the 10s when it was warmer and that is using AC.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 2 cents....
I bailed on the ECO mode, hated it. I have 16,000kms on mine. Drive city only. When I fill up I stop at first click on the pump.

IMO horrible mileage, and I'm not that lead footed. Seems to be always about 14L/100km and seeing around 350kms give or take on the trip odometer. I was hoping more for the low 500's as far as km's driven off a tank. I guess I'd only see that on some kinda summer vacation on the freeway.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I`m confused..:confused:....Are you, or are you not, seeing better MPG as the miles add up?

With mine, I noticed an improvement at around 4,000 - 5,000 miles...
Yes Cheers, with the ECO off AND the miles racking up my MPG has gotten better. Not earth shattering amount but it is better by 1-2 MPG in town. Highway is about the same, maybe a 1+ better. Right now I believe the odometer is showing 5200+/- after 7 months ownership.
I feared retirement might make our miles pile up. Guess we are just home bodies!!!:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've changed my driving habits drastically, and drive aroud like ive got a bunch of new born babies in the car with me and I'm still less then 400km to a tank 14.1lt/100km. So far, in just 24days... I've spent $373.58 for driving 2097km.... this thing is going to kill me!!!

As much as I love this car, part of me wants to bring it back (if that is an option) or trade it in for another... I cant help but feeling I got a lemon...

1 - 20 of 181 Posts