Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2002 Hyundai Elantra only one yr old.there is a horrible foul odour in my car.So bad that the odour can be smeeled outside of the car i bought my car to dealer they said that there's a mold in the air conditioner.And told me that you have to install the cabin filter which costs about $180.If anyone else has ever experienced this,please lead me in the right direction,please help!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi Winnie...
I am feeling that you are new to this forum.....Welcome To The Forum...
As there is a foul odour in ur car...you can buy the cabin filter and install it yourself.
As if the dealer will install it he will also take the installation charges.
bye

Originally posted by winnie@Jul 26 2004, 02:20 PM
I have 2002 Hyundai Elantra only one yr old.there is a horrible foul odour in my car.So bad that the odour can be smeeled outside of the car i bought my car to dealer they said that there's a mold in the air conditioner.And told me that you have to install the cabin filter which costs about $180.If anyone else has ever experienced this,please lead me in the right direction,please help!!
[snapback]424[/snapback]​

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by winnie@Jul 26 2004, 02:20 PM
[snapback]424[/snapback]​

Hi. I too experienced the moldy smell in my 2002 Hyundai Elantra. I brought It in 4 times and they just put in some sort of perfume to mask the stench. They told me the same thing about replacing a filter however I only had 8,000kms on my vehicle at the time. I refused to pay for a new filter and did not have it replaced. Finally they cleaned some sort of coil in my a/c and the smell went away. Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by MissCanadianChic@Jul 30 2004, 06:13 PM
Hi. I too experienced the moldy smell in my 2002 Hyundai Elantra. I brought It in 4 times and they just put in some sort of perfume to mask the stench. They told me the same thing about replacing a filter however I only had 8,000kms on my vehicle at the time. I refused to pay for a new filter and did not have it replaced. Finally they cleaned some sort of coil in my a/c and the smell went away. Good luck with your problem.
[snapback]617[/snapback]​

Hi,

Does the odor occur when you turn on your Air conditioner? Or is it always present?

I live in Florida and mold in the HVAC is a common occurrence on all brands of cars. It often happens when owners consistently run their air-conditioning in the “closed air” mode. Moisture can build up on the internal components. When the car is shut down and allowed to sit, mold can rapidly grow in the hot wet environment. One solution is to get in the habit of switching you’re A/C to the external air mode (At least 5 minutes before you arrive at your destination). This allows fresh air to dry the internal systems.

If your odor is not related to your HVAC system., you may have a leak in the car that has allowed water to seep into a door or body panel. Mold can form & you get a constant odor.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've had an intense moldy smell in our 2001 elantra for 1 1/2 years. We've taken it to the dealer repeatedly and they first blamed it on the AC unit. Tried a purge and it still smelled moldy. Then they finally found a LOT of water in the spare wheel well. They blamed it on the trunk seals. They replaced them about 6 months ago. We thought it was getting better but to our horror we opened the trunk last week and found it FILLED with water. The side panels of the car were also filled with water. What we realized was that since we hadn't driven the car for 3 weeks it had allowed it to fill up to the top of the spare tire reservoir. We also realized that every time we had driven the car down to the bottom of our very steep hill and stepped on the brake, that all of the water in the wheel well had splooshed forward under the back seats and under the carpet. Voila the moldy smell! We do park our car outside on a slight slant with the back end sloping down. We put a few drops of red food coloring in the gutters and poured some water into it. We watched it run down the gutters around the trunk and at the very bottom middle, underneath that plastic thing it leaked into the spare wheel well. A red bloom of dye.
The car is at the dealer and I haven't heard what they've done or found underneath the carpet and seats.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If the Dealers have had a look at all of your cars and have narrowed it down to the A/C filter, then you may need to replace the filter if neccesary, meaning that you can't clean it because it is too mouldy and smelly.

What is actually causing the smell is the mould doesn't actually gather on the filter, it actually gathers on the Evaporator fins and may transfer some mould to your filter.
To properly clean your evaporator, the A/C refridgerant is going to have to be recovered, your filter and evaporator are going to have to be removed and evaporator cleaned, filter may need to be replaced it's up to you.
Evaporator O-Rings will need replacement and then your A/C system will need the refirdgerant recharged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (davenjerani @ Dec 30 2004, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=4207
We've had an intense moldy smell in our 2001 elantra for 1 1/2 years. We've taken it to the dealer repeatedly and they first blamed it on the AC unit. Tried a purge and it still smelled moldy. Then they finally found a LOT of water in the spare wheel well. They blamed it on the trunk seals. They replaced them about 6 months ago. We thought it was getting better but to our horror we opened the trunk last week and found it FILLED with water. The side panels of the car were also filled with water. What we realized was that since we hadn't driven the car for 3 weeks it had allowed it to fill up to the top of the spare tire reservoir. We also realized that every time we had driven the car down to the bottom of our very steep hill and stepped on the brake, that all of the water in the wheel well had splooshed forward under the back seats and under the carpet. Voila the moldy smell! We do park our car outside on a slight slant with the back end sloping down. We put a few drops of red food coloring in the gutters and poured some water into it. We watched it run down the gutters around the trunk and at the very bottom middle, underneath that plastic thing it leaked into the spare wheel well. A red bloom of dye.
The car is at the dealer and I haven't heard what they've done or found underneath the carpet and seats.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone else had a simillar problem. My finace's 2002 elantra is having a problem with a water leak somewhere. she says that after a rain she can hear water sloshing around in the car. I haven't checked the trunk yet...just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I have got under the car and made sure that the AC drain line was unobstructed, and blew compressed air up through it to make sure it was flowing fine.

Luke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts