Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to make the locking horn signal to setup on lover volume level ? Its kinda loud during middle of the night. I had toyota before they have beeps, also my wife has a mitsubishi outlander and it does a quiet horn signal when locking doors using keyless. i would really love to have this feature if its possible. any has any ideas ? thnx for any advice

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the horn will only honk if you press the 'lock' button twice within something like 5 seconds. Even if you only press it once, the system will still arm provided the turn signals flash once...the honk is only meant as a confirmation that the doors locked.

·
Registered
338 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 29 2010, 02:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337034

Correct me if I'm wrong but the horn will only honk if you press the 'lock' button twice within something like 5 seconds. Even if you only press it once, the system will still arm provided the turn signals flash once...the honk is only meant as a confirmation that the doors locked.
You'r dead correct!

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Good neighbour award... I wish you lived on my street!

If you're not sure the doors locked, you can simply wait a few seconds before pressing the remote a second time. That way the horn won't honk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 29 2010, 02:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337034

the honk from my experiense is a confirmation that all doors are closed properly, [as I'm bit suprised that 2010 santa fe's doors are not easy to close at all, sometimes I have to close em with more power, slam the door to close em at first time, and I really dont like that coz its a new car and i dont wanna destroy it right away. (my dad has a theory that each car that closes the doors easly and quietly is well build car, it looks like there's something on his theory))

so for me to have a confirmation honk that all is locked and closed properly is important.

so none has any idea how to make this horn signal quietly ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (petrocelly @ Jun 29 2010, 11:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337328
so none has any idea how to make this horn signal quietly ?
Try replacing the horn with an aftermarket horn. They've probably got 8 or 10 different ones at your local Auto Zone. All aftermarket horns have the sp listed on the back. Your stock horn is probably about 90dB. Around 60dB should be enough to reassure you without waking the neighbors. If you can't find a horn quiet enough, you can get an air horn with a plastic trumpet, and drill some small holes near the base. This will decrease your volume, but it will also change the pitch. As long as you keep it in the key of F-Major, no one will think it's out of place (this is the key of all North American automobile horns).

Down side is, your horn won't be very loud, but how often do you really use it anyway?

And lastly, if all this sounds like too much trouble, goto the junkyard and get one off of a 2nd generation Elantra, the wires should match up, and I'm pretty sure those old Elantra's hold the world record for the weakest horn ever.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jun 30 2010, 12:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337332
Try replacing the horn with an aftermarket horn. They've probably got 8 or 10 different ones at your local Auto Zone. All aftermarket horns have the sp listed on the back. Your stock horn is probably about 90dB. Around 60dB should be enough to reassure you without waking the neighbors. If you can't find a horn quiet enough, you can get an air horn with a plastic trumpet, and drill some small holes near the base. This will decrease your volume, but it will also change the pitch. As long as you keep it in the key of F-Major, no one will think it's out of place (this is the key of all North American automobile horns).

Down side is, your horn won't be very loud, but how often do you really use it anyway?

And lastly, if all this sounds like too much trouble, goto the junkyard and get one off of a 2nd generation Elantra, the wires should match up, and I'm pretty sure those old Elantra's hold the world record for the weakest horn ever.

Good luck.

hmm that would be interesting, i will play with it , will keep u posted thnx again for reply

·
Registered
87 Posts
No prob, petrocelly. I got to play with the horn a lot in my 2000 Elantra. I found that driving a smaller car, people tended to want to be in front of me. They didn't want to go faster than me, they just wanted to be in front of me. After I wired up four air horns rated for 120dB each, this became less of a problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
^ :laughing: ^

Oh, that was you?
I think you've honked at me a few times. :blush:
(Actually, truth be told, I have a compelling need to be in front of tractor trailers, not small cars.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Completely understandable. I, like your calico have a need to bite the heads off of kittens.

But seriously, I went from a 1 and a 1/2 ton bucket truck to an Elantra Wagon, and noticed an immediate difference. It's almost as if people think "There's no way this station wagon could possibly be faster than my 50-ton, illegally loaded coal truck! I'd better cut them off and almost cause them to rear-end me before they slow me down." Nobody seemed to think that my 17000lb. F-450 with its custom made 1/2" solid steel front bumper and its pushbar made from a 3/4" Union Carbide steam pipe was something they wanted to be in front of when it was barreling down I-26 at 85MPH. Weird, huh?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ears, apparently, are tasty. :p

Hey - is that Rolling Rock in your avatar? My husband used to manage the timberland here in PA of the brewery.

So now you have me curious - what was the homemade pushbar for? A plow truck?

I have to confess the reason I feel the need to be in front of a big TT is that once I was looking for an overhead sign for my turn (got confusing directions from my in-law in a unfamiliar city so I was already frazzled) and the height of the TT blocked the sign and caused me to miss my turn without realizing it. 1 hour later, I gave up finding my destination.
I don't think I was hugging the TT's bumper, I was a few car lengths back; and if I'd held back anymore, the cars behind me would be really **** - the TT was going barely the speed limit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Nittany Lioness @ Jun 30 2010, 09:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337417
Ears, apparently, are tasty. :p

Hey - is that Rolling Rock in your avatar? My husband used to manage the timberland here in PA of the brewery.

So now you have me curious - what was the homemade pushbar for? A plow truck?
1>Yes, I have the Rolling Rock Quality Pledge tattooed on my right bicep, as well as on my heart, though she left a nasty scar on the latter when she left me for New Jersey, and soiled her beautiful glass-lined tanks with Iron City, but as it always is with true love, in the end, I don't care where she's been, I simply long to taste her on my lips.

2>A 1.5 ton truck with a pushbar is like a pistol in the nightstand. You hope you never need it, but when you do, you're awfully glad you had it. If there were a red smiley face with horns, it would be inserted right here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Will he do? >>> :devil:
He was in the smilies list here, at the ready for the naughty like y'self.

*Sigh* I lament the exodus of those homegrown staple businesses too.
I was so angry, then depressed, when my Philly's "Tastykake" moved to .... Maryland. Gah, I say - Gah!.
I've yet to recover.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jun 29 2010, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337332
That would depend a lot on where the OP is driving. There are still cities in Europe and Middle East where the horn is typically being operated at about the same duty cycle as the accelerator pedal. :w00t:

Problem with the "get a weaker horn" concept is that it's the ONE time you really need it that you really want it heard clearly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Jun 30 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337441
That would depend a lot on where the OP is driving. There are still cities in Europe and Middle East where the horn is typically being operated at about the same duty cycle as the accelerator pedal. :w00t:

Problem with the "get a weaker horn" concept is that it's the ONE time you really need it that you really want it heard clearly.
I still had the stock horn on my Elantra. The Air horns were wired to a rocker switch (yeah, that's right, a rocker) on the dash on my fog light blank. If he wanted, he could just wire up his stock horn to another button for assholery in traffic (or for legitimate uses like going through 1-lane tunnels or something, as well, I suppose).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts