Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting either the Hella or Sick Speed dual horn kit to up my honking power. I swear no one can hear my stock horn.

If I got the dual horn kit do you think I could get away without running a relay kit?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think you will be able to do it without a relay. I am going to replace my daughter's horns out with a set of Hella hi/low horns @ 131 decibels as soon as we get back from vacation. As long as her new headlights with LED's built in arrive. That way I only have to take the bumper off once. If a relay is needed, it's really simple to do and a very short run of wires too as close as the 12v source is locted.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you will be able to do it without a relay. I am going to replace my daughter's horns out with a set of Hella hi/low horns @ 131 decibels as soon as we get back from vacation. As long as her new headlights with LED's built in arrive. That way I only have to take the bumper off once. If a relay is needed, it's really simple to do and a very short run of wires too as close as the 12v source is locted.
How do you know if you end up requiring a relay? The Sick Speed horn kit is half the price of the Hella and the reviews say they are very comparable based on my google search, they also come in a wide range of colors. But its only 118db for the output..

What Hella kit are you look at?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm using DUAL SUPER TONE 139DB UNIVERSAL HORN COMPACT extremely HELLA LOUD RED. As far as needing a relay. I look at the gauge of the wire connected to the horn. If it is 16-18 gauge, then I won't use a relay 20 gauge or less, I would consider a relay. If you hold your horn long enough without a relay and thin wire connected to it, if you're lucky ,your fuse will blow. If not, it could burn up your wiring or possibly start an electrical fire. I hope that helps.

If you decide not to use a relay and your wire is thin, please add a fuse to your connection and save yourself from damage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the hella Supertones and installed it with the relay. It came with one so figured why not. Took a spade clip and cut one end of it to inset into the stock horn plug.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1375319087.290023.jpg

Got a roll of 14ga wire, ~20 ft IIRC, from autozone and used that for the install. Also went to the hardware store for galvanized steel straps to make a bracket for the horns. The middle is bolted to the stock horn location and then evenly spaced the horns out.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1375319125.454672.jpg

Ended up taking it all out about a week later to paint the strap black as well as painting the horns white with plastidip

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1375319404.953054.jpg .

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, I love the sound of it! dIt's dfinitely a better piece of mine knowing I can be heard.
I have noticed something funny tho, sometimes and it's random, but I'll hit the horn and it sets off my passport 9500 saying laser but then it goes away. . Has anyone else experienced this?
Another thing that I don't mind but I'm sure my neighbors do..is when double-locking the car and hearing that confirming honk..I try not to do it past midnight..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks, I love the sound of it! dIt's dfinitely a better piece of mine knowing I can be heard.
I have noticed something funny tho, sometimes and it's random, but I'll hit the horn and it sets off my passport 9500 saying laser but then it goes away. . Has anyone else experienced this?
Another thing that I don't mind but I'm sure my neighbors do..is when double-locking the car and hearing that confirming honk..I try not to do it past midnight..

Thanks for the info. :laughing: on the double lock beep!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
106 Posts
I'm interested in this as well, but I'm curious. I see the hack you did with the spade connectors, but has anyone managed to actually find the plug connector anywhere to purchase?

It looks like this - SOMEONE must sell them somewhere. Buying an entire wiring harness and cutting it off seems silly when I only need ONE.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright ordering the hella horns today, who knows when I will get them installed though, summer is always so busy for me, I still have my interior torn apart from my stereo install!

·
Banned
998 Posts
I put hellas on my both Elantras (XD and HD). The horn ALREADY uses a relay so no need to add another one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got my Hella Horns in the mail the other day, looking in the grill area, I have no idea where to mount them :(

I could easily mount them behind the fog lights, but i really wanted to be able to see them like in the above picture.

Anyone else plan on doing this mod?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested in this as well, but I'm curious. I see the hack you did with the spade connectors, but has anyone managed to actually find the plug connector anywhere to purchase?

It looks like this - SOMEONE must sell them somewhere. Buying an entire wiring harness and cutting it off seems silly when I only need ONE.

You can get it off shark racing but its $60, for $60 I would rather hack up the stock wires haha!

·
Banned
998 Posts
Simply, take a spade connector, trim to to fit the connector (female). Repeat for the other connector.
Then, use a heat shrink tube to wrap each of the connectors, add another layer (see the distance between them) and finally put them together into a larger shrink tube. This way you get your connector.
In addition, one might use hot glue gun to seal/harder the connector. Plug it and happy honking.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well I got my Hella Horns in the mail the other day, looking in the grill area, I have no idea where to mount them :(

I could easily mount them behind the fog lights, but i really wanted to be able to see them like in the above picture.

Anyone else plan on doing this mod?
I am, but I am going to try the stock location. I don't care if it's seen, just heard. Loud and Clear!

As for the connector, as long as you connect it in a way that is weather tight, you should have no worries with warranty. If something happens to your horn circuit and they find that your splice is the cause, your warranty will not cover that event. Your warranty is still valid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
jamina1 and cbzdel, any progress on the horn install? If you need any, I can mail some of the galvanized steel straps that I used to mount the horns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts