Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2011 Sonata and live in the North East. I'm wanting to get winter tires, but I dont want to keep switching out tires ever spring and winter... The question I have that I hope someone can help me with is about wheels. I can get some cheap wheels from a 08 Honda Accord that has 17in wheels. After searching a million websites trying to find the bolt pattern of both Honda and Hyundai wheels I found out they were the same and would fit. I got the Honda wheels and did a test fit this evening only to find out the hole in the center of the Honda wheel is to small to fit over the axle end on the Sonata that allows it to set flush up against the rotor. My question is, is it possible to modify the Honda wheel so it will fit? The backspacing looks to be about the same on both factory wheels. Funny thing is that I called 4 different dealerships trying to find out what the factory specs on the "factory" wheels are and all they could tell me is the part number of the wheel. Strange they wouldn't have that kind of info. in their service manuals. Also, anyone know if they make just plain steelies that would fit the sonata? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
QUOTE (ZiGGYia @ Nov 21 2010, 04:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373658
So, I have a 2011 Sonata and live in the North East. I'm wanting to get winter tires, but I dont want to keep switching out tires ever spring and winter... The question I have that I hope someone can help me with is about wheels. I can get some cheap wheels from a 08 Honda Accord that has 17in wheels. After searching a million websites trying to find the bolt pattern of both Honda and Hyundai wheels I found out they were the same and would fit. I got the Honda wheels and did a test fit this evening only to find out the hole in the center of the Honda wheel is to small to fit over the axle end on the Sonata that allows it to set flush up against the rotor. My question is, is it possible to modify the Honda wheel so it will fit? The backspacing looks to be about the same on both factory wheels. Funny thing is that I called 4 different dealerships trying to find out what the factory specs on the "factory" wheels are and all they could tell me is the part number of the wheel. Strange they wouldn't have that kind of info. in their service manuals. Also, anyone know if they make just plain steelies that would fit the sonata? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,

Wayne
Call someplace like "The Tire Rack", or America's Tire. They are in the business of knowing such things. Just google and get the 800 number. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't have a answer for how to make the Honda wheels work if they can. But Hyundai does sell steel 16" wheels in Canada. I'm sure the northern US state dealers can get them too as you guys get a lot of snow also. Another option would be to look for wheels off of the last gen Soanta on ebay or at the scrap yard. They are the same size and everything as the 11 Sonata. www.fastwheels.ca click on application guide if you want to see what other cars offer a direct swap with the Sonata.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wheels are one thing I wouldn't F*ck with! if you decide to modify the center of the wheels and the structure or balance of the wheel is compromised, then you are just going to be a hazard on the highway. It's not worth getting into an accident to try and get off cheap on wheels. I am sure you can find some take-off 16" steel rims on one of the Sonata forums like this one, or some tire websites.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (armycop @ Nov 21 2010, 11:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373714
Wheels are one thing I wouldn't F*ck with! if you decide to modify the center of the wheels and the structure or balance of the wheel is compromised, then you are just going to be a hazard on the highway. It's not worth getting into an accident to try and get off cheap on wheels. I am sure you can find some take-off 16" steel rims on one of the Sonata forums like this one, or some tire websites.
Yeah that's what I was thinking just wanted to get some input...

·
Registered
854 Posts
U might just need a hub ring. Google it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 22 2010, 12:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373869
U might just need a hub ring. Google it.

Hub ring wont work if the hyundai hub is already too big for the honda wheels. (Rings would work in the opposite situation however).

You can definitely have the Honda wheels machined to accept the larger hub but for what that would cost in both money and time you might be better off just getting GLS steelies. I believe that the NF steelies will also fit (2006-2010 Sonata) our cars. Be aware that if you buy a set used and they have to be shipped, UPS *WILL* try to bend the rims. Make sure the seller/shipper packs them in enough packing material or you will end up with bent rims.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah I had an 04 accord with aftermarket 18's. The bolt pattern on the sonata and accords are the same but if the hubs don't match then you are out of luck. Aftermarket wheels are built big and you just buy the appropriate hub ring. If the hole is too small then you have to have the wheels machined and I can imagine that is probably not worth it, unless you happen to have a CNC machine...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just post a "Looking for Sonata steel wheels" on this board and I'm sure someone will want to sell you their wheels for cheap. There has to be someone on this board that wants to upgrade their wheels and get rid of their steel wheels.

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (xm8 @ Dec 3 2010, 06:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376603
Just post a "Looking for Sonata steel wheels" on this board and I'm sure someone will want to sell you their wheels for cheap. There has to be someone on this board that wants to upgrade their wheels and get rid of their steel wheels.
Tirerack has alloy wheels starting at $85 each and steel wheels at $55 each. Set of hubcaps $35. I am going with a set of alloy wheels from them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't forget you still need to purchase 4 tires with those tirerack steel wheels and hubcaps. Will it be cheaper than a used set of YF steel wheels with tires?

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (ZiGGYia @ Nov 21 2010, 08:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373658

Thanks,

Wayne
To the best of my knowledge, Honda's hub center is 64.1 mm. My 2007 Sonata uses a 67.1 mm hub center and I think the 2011 is the same. Perhaps with that information you can call around to machine shops to ask if they can enlarge the hole to that size and what they'll charge.

On the subject of offset (backspacing), 2003+ Honda Accords used a 55 mm offset. I'm pretty sure the Sonata's offset is 46mm. That means the Honda rim will sit about 9mm, or a third of an inch more to the inside of the wheel well than your current rims. If it is possible and cost effective to drill out the hub center and the offset bothers you, you can always consider wheel spacers to fill in the gap. But that would of course increase your total cost.

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (xm8 @ Dec 5 2010, 09:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377230
Don't forget you still need to purchase 4 tires with those tirerack steel wheels and hubcaps. Will it be cheaper than a used set of YF steel wheels with tires?
Checked at dealer, YF steel wheels were over $200. Alloy wheels at Tirerack went down to $79. I placed my order yesterday with tires. Should be here Monday.

·
Registered
277 Posts
where do you live?
I am in north central PA, and have a set of 16 alloys w tires.

I am getting 19s, so i may be best just selling these.

i have 300 highway miles on the car, so they are pretty much brand new.

email or pm me if interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts