Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's a question. In my Jeep Commander, the Homelink was automatically disabled if the vehicle security system was engaged, this would prevent someone from breaking into the vehicle and opening the garage door (assuming the vehicle was parked outside). The question is, is there a way to make the Sonata do that? It seems like a serious oversight that they didn't take that into consideration.

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (codejockey @ Apr 26 2010, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317060
Okay, here's a question. In my Jeep Commander, the Homelink was automatically disabled if the vehicle security system was engaged, this would prevent someone from breaking into the vehicle and opening the garage door (assuming the vehicle was parked outside). The question is, is there a way to make the Sonata do that? It seems like a serious oversight that they didn't take that into consideration.
Is it not turning off, are you able to use the homelink devise to open the gargae door with the vehicle off and the security on?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Insaneone @ Apr 26 2010, 05:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317092
Is it not turning off, are you able to use the homelink devise to open the gargae door with the vehicle off and the security on?
Yes, I am. I tested it the other night. I turned my car off, opened the door and closed it (to simulate getting out of the car in case it keeps track of that), then I armed the alarm (factory alarm) with the remote. I verified the red light on the dash was blinking, and then I hit the homelink button, and my garage door opened right up. Just to ensure that the alarm was armed I opened my door and it started honking as expected.

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (codejockey @ Apr 27 2010, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317297
Yes, I am. I tested it the other night. I turned my car off, opened the door and closed it (to simulate getting out of the car in case it keeps track of that), then I armed the alarm (factory alarm) with the remote. I verified the red light on the dash was blinking, and then I hit the homelink button, and my garage door opened right up. Just to ensure that the alarm was armed I opened my door and it started honking as expected.
I can see why you would have an issue with that. Break a window, hit the garage door opener and easy access into the house. Someone on this site will have a good explaination or maybe a fix. I don't, sorry.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Good information here! If I had a homelink I'd get out my wirecutters. Sounds like someone at Hyundai was asleep at the switch.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (codejockey @ Apr 26 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317060
Perhaps yours is wired wrong, but my Homelink Rear View Mirror only comes on when the Ignition switch is on.

You mention you verified the Alarm was on by looking at the LED on the Dash. Since it flashes all the time, what did you see?

Of course I know the answer to that part. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 27 2010, 01:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317357
Perhaps yours is wired wrong, but my Homelink Rear View Mirror only comes on when the Ignition switch is on.

You mention you verified the Alarm was on by looking at the LED on the Dash. Since it flashes all the time, what did you see?

Of course I know the answer to that part. :thumbsup:
Well, perhaps I was wrong, but I thought it only flashed when armed. I'll verify that this evening. And I did verify that the keys were out of the ignition when I did the test. My commander specifically mentions in the owner's manual that the homelink is disabled when the security system is enabled but there was no mention of that whatsoever in the owner's manual for the sonata.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know the homelink buttons on my 2009 SE work fine without the key in the ignition.

Maybe you could find the power wire under the dash and hook it up to something that only has power when the key is on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, sure enough that light does flash all the time (kind of sill really, but no matter). I might look at changing the power wire to be switched for that if I get really inclined But I think that is a severe oversight on the design side.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Are you sure the homelink buttons aren't operating on the residual power just like the power windows that can be operated for a period of time (one minute?) after the car is shut off?

Maybe they assumed that if you made use of the homelink features that you would actually be parking the car in a garage. Seems like a reasonable assumption to me. If I were going to break into a house it would not be by smashing a car window parked in the front and going in through the garage all while being the most visible to passersby and neighbours. My garage has a steel door and lock and is just as secure as the front door.

My car doesn't have the homelink feature but if it did I would not be programming it anyway unless my car was actually being parked in the garage.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Seems like my Homelink has continuous Power going to it. Of course I had a Garage too, but with no opener. I have left that $25

Garage as it was engulfed with Red Roaches. I didn't even know they made that Color Roach, but after seeing the flying ones in Miami

that are the size of your hand, hiss, and have faces, anything is possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (rallyman @ Apr 28 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317622
Are you sure the homelink buttons aren't operating on the residual power just like the power windows that can be operated for a period of time (one minute?) after the car is shut off?
Well, I could go park in the garage, but my wife parks in there, and I don't like the cramped parking with two vehicles + motorcycle, work bench, fridge, etc. So, I typically park in the driveway. I like the homelink though, because the quickest way in/out is through the garage. I might just reset it though to prevent that as being an entry way. I did verify this morning that it wasn't simply residual power. I got in it after being off all night, and it worked w/out me putting the key in the ignition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts