Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the mirror out on ebay for $250 new in the box, but perhaps the wiring and everything aren't just "automagically" in place. I'd like to add the homelink features to the wife's new Sonata, but $250 seems a little steep, especially if it requires wiring.

Has anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cant imagine the wiring being too hard. I wired up the antenna for my viper alarm right in the middle of the windshield by the rearview, and it was fairly easy to route the antenna wire up there. Since most of the time everything is built into those homelink mirrors, im assuming it will just use a 12v and a ground you could route it right down to the fusebox.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not rednecking the wiring on a new car. :) If the connector is there, and it's just a push/click kind of thing - great. If not - not fooling with it.

Was kind of curious about the backup camera in the same manner....camera is cheap, but dealer wanted another $2500 or something for the model with the mirror and the camera.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 23 2010, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374089
Not rednecking the wiring on a new car. :) If the connector is there, and it's just a push/click kind of thing - great. If not - not fooling with it.

Was kind of curious about the backup camera in the same manner....camera is cheap, but dealer wanted another $2500 or something for the model with the mirror and the camera.
It is a simple 3 wire connection and the directions make it almost fool proof. They tell and show you where to mount the ground wire and they also show you which 2 wires to tap into. They even give you the scotch-loc connector which pinch the wire to allow you to make the connection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the mirror comes with the connectors and instructions to splice, it's not just a push/plug connector?

Assuming you have done this? Yeah - it can't be any crazy hard connection - a wire to the GPS for the compass, and power leads for the homelink - but I don't want to shred the headliner fishing for wires either.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 23 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374100
So the mirror comes with the connectors and instructions to splice, it's not just a push/plug connector?

Assuming you have done this? Yeah - it can't be any crazy hard connection - a wire to the GPS for the compass, and power leads for the homelink - but I don't want to shred the headliner fishing for wires either.
Yes it is a very easy connection. No wiring to the GPS the compass it is self contained to the mirror. You only connect ground, a constant power line and an ignition power line. And the wires tuck behind the headliner you do not need to lower or remove it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Someone posted detailed instructions from the actual manual with pictures of how to install the Homelink mirror. The thread is only a couple months old, so you should be able to find it with a search.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Nov 23 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374109
Someone posted detailed instructions from the actual manual with pictures of how to install the Homelink mirror. The thread is only a couple months old, so you should be able to find it with a search.
Might be a good sticky - I didn't see it with initial searches, but will look again.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 23 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374100

I stand corrected. I installed it on my 2010 Tucson not on the 2011 Sonata. From what I have read Homelink mirror thread It will be plug and play. a few inches off the mirror there is a plug which extends the harness. I needed to use this to run the wires across the headliner, down the A pillar and to the fuse box. This is not the case with the 2011 Sonata. They have the plug in the headliner, so you only need to remove the sun glasses holder assembly and plug it in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 23 2010, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374117
I stand corrected. I installed it on my 2010 Tucson not on the 2011 Sonata. From what I have read Homelink mirror thread It will be plug and play. a few inches off the mirror there is a plug which extends the harness. I needed to use this to run the wires across the headliner, down the A pillar and to the fuse box. This is not the case with the 2011 Sonata. They have the plug in the headliner, so you only need to remove the sun glasses holder assembly and plug it in.
This was more what I expected - thank you very much for sharing.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I can help you install this if you want if you are not comfortable with the wiring aspect. That's assuming your location is near what my avatar looks like. :D I have done this on my wifes Rav, my MR2. Once you access the wiring in the lighting panel its a 15 minute job.

I got mine off of ebay from sales-at-dnd-enterprises. He sells some brand new, some used. Both of mine were used but looked brand new. If you dont see something you like, email him as he is very accommodating.

Here is a link to one of his auctions http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-G...=item27b6c092d6 . Both of mine arrived at the house and were installed before the charges hit my cc.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It us easy to add, you just tap three wires. I bought one for my truck and never installed it, then when I got the Sonata I bought one with a screen for backup. I still have the old one, never installed. It's the homelink with autodim, no compass or temp. I will sell it for $140 shipped.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I had the dealer add this to my 2011 GLS. I watched the tech do the install. I was maybe 40 feet away, so I couldn't see exact detail, but it took him only 4 or 5 minutes from when he removed the standard mirror to when he backed the car out to calibrate the compass. I would say it is a do it yourself project. They installed it for free since I bought it as an accessory during the vehicle purchase. I did see the instructions. It clearly said to use the supplied wire taps to splice into the existing wires in that location. The instructions were marked for my exact year and model. I paid $240.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Contradicting posts here - someone says theres a plug there, someone says there isn't. Is there a plug for the mirror, or is it a splice job?

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 24 2010, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374482
Contradicting posts here - someone says theres a plug there, someone says there isn't. Is there a plug for the mirror, or is it a splice job?
I installed an auto dim mirror with backup LCD camera display, there is NOT a connector (empty/spare/unused) up where the eye glasses holder is, for my GLS model with no sunroof. It is a splice job for me.
:57:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree with Hancydan. There is no plug. I installed an autodimming/homelink mirror that I had previously installed in the Mazda 6 that I traded for the Sonata GLS. I had initially run the cables to the fusebox but trying to work there was a pain. I got onto HMAService and found the wire harness in the roof, took out the sunglass holder and within 15 minutes had the mirror up and operational with my garage door.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts