Hyundai Forums banner

holy moses coupler

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tripplec 
#1 ·
i had the truck at the dealer to check on some hesitation from the transmission and after checking it was determined that the eco mode was having a hard time downshifting because the coupler was not disengaging or something.
So faulty coupler...
That part is $1800Cad!!!!
what the heck is it made of?
Luckily I have extended warranty and it was covered.
The part prices of autos is ridiculous.
Rant over.

#2 ·
At that price it's probably the all-wheel drive coupler at the front of the rear differential. Yours must be AWD since you live in Canada. Your aftermarket warranty just paid for itself.

#3 ·
From 2010 onwards Hyundai went with a different coupler. I am not sure of the difference between what the 2009 and earlier used. But the number of failure spiked a lot for the newer build. They function the same from what I understand but the part or make is different.

You lucked out on that call going to the dealer on it!!!

#6 ·
I didnt want a repeat of the 2010 SF that cost me a transmission.
I started to feel that it was not smooth switching and hesitated shifting up or down.

This is my second SF and it will probably be the last one. I am disapointed with the quality of these vehicles considering what they cost at the time when they were new. Poor control quality,

#7 ·
I hear you and I opted for a Highlander for myself last year in the Winter. My daughter has taken a liking to my SF and expect she'll be keeping it. It was my 09 4x4 Compass North Edition or the SF. LOL
My wife and I both upgraded to newer vehicle. The 2nd Gen Highland is full time 4WD which is what i wanted. The new series has gone to a coupler as well as others and AWD type.

A driveline component like that should be robust. They exist but cost cutbacks to poorer model parts were used. Whether that has change in either SF or Sorento (same power train) I don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.