1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night; BANG. CLUNK.

Pool of gear oil on garage floor.

Examine rear differential...
Massive hole in the back of the rear diff case.

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T - 101,940 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Something inside appears to have been very unhappy. As to why...Would not be fair to guestimate on a root cause from a photograph...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts

Now that's "going out with a bang" . Were you a 10/100k warranty owner ? Did you tow or do any off road use or ever change the diff fluid ?
A few yrs back someone posted pics of the same unfortunate event.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that's "going out with a bang" . Were you a 10/100k warranty owner ? Did you tow or do any off road use or ever change the diff fluid ?
A few yrs back someone posted pics of the same unfortunate event.
Quite literally! Unfortunately not a 10/100k owner; I'm the second owner. Tow an 18' boat but fully weighted at 3000# (towing capacity 3500#). Diff fuild changed at 75k, currently at 101,950.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Quite literally! Unfortunately not a 10/100k owner; I'm the second owner. Tow an 18' boat but fully weighted at 3000# (towing capacity 3500#). Diff fuild changed at 75k, currently at 101,950.
I wouldn't be surprised if towing contributed to the demise of the unit - esp if you were pulling the boat out of the water . A lot of these part time AWD diff units are pretty compact - to save room and weight and once you get any amount of play in the diff gears - bad things can happen. No tell tale clicks or humming from the rear ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't be surprised if towing contributed to the demise of the unit - esp if you were pulling the boat out of the water . A lot of these part time AWD diff units are pretty compact - to save room and weight and once you get any amount of play in the diff gears - bad things can happen. No tell tale clicks or humming from the rear ?
Would always lock up the rear AWD lock system prior to pulling out of water. No humming, clicking, or noises coming from the rear. Even after the failure drove fine (fwd only) with no noise from the rear...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Would always lock up the rear AWD lock system prior to pulling out of water. No humming, clicking, or noises coming from the rear. Even after the failure drove fine (fwd only) with no noise from the rear...
I would often hear a clunk from those big pickups when they go into gear and pull a boat out of the water, the older the pickup usually the louder the clunk - coming from the differential but trucks have comparatively big heavy diff gears that can tolerate a lot of play . Not the case with our Hyundais - there are several types of gears crammed into that diff unit and some are spinning constantly in concert with the rear wheels. Were you on dry pavement when it blew ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would often hear a clunk from those big pickups when they go into gear and pull a boat out of the water, the older the pickup usually the louder the clunk - coming from the differential but trucks have comparatively big heavy diff gears that can tolerate a lot of play . Not the case with our Hyundais - there are several types of gears crammed into that diff unit and some are spinning constantly in concert with the rear wheels. Were you on dry pavement when it blew ?
I would always engage the parking break on the launch prior to engaging/ disengaging the gears. This aids in reducing the stress on the gear's teeth when shifting.

No. Snow, wet, ice covered. Wife took a left turn and mid turn BANG.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I would always engage the parking break on the launch prior to engaging/ disengaging the gears. This aids in reducing the stress on the gear's teeth when shifting.

No. Snow, wet, ice covered. Wife took a left turn and mid turn BANG.
makes sense - awd likely was activated owing to wheel slippage, brake torque vectoring applying power to the rear wheel where the side/pinion gear in the diff probably went bang. Either a defect or simply wear taking it's toll.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Any chance this thing was driven for an extended period of time in AWD lock? That feature is not intended to be used on non slippery surfaces. Doing so would not be immediately fatal but it would contribute to premature wear. If the component gets submerged when loading / unloading the boat....May have been some water entry.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts

That didn't happen just by sitting in your garage.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Any chance this thing was driven for an extended period of time in AWD lock? That feature is not intended to be used on non slippery surfaces. Doing so would not be immediately fatal but it would contribute to premature wear. If the component gets submerged when loading / unloading the boat....May have been some water entry.
have you ever compared the diameter of the front half shafts with those on the rear ? Shafts and other driveline components can experience stress over time, sometimes resulting in failure, which is why I inquired about towing and pulling a boat out of the water, in AWD lock with equal torque distribution the front shafts are not the issue - but those rear shafts are pretty skinny, reflecting that the AWD SFS is designed for mostly FWD operation. Some may say it's not the shaft that failed but the rear diff gears are usually designed with matching torque specs and that rear transfer unit is pretty compact.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/QUOTE]
No never driven more than the length of a snowy alley way in AWD lock. Never submerged (that I know of). Pretty particular about which lakes and launches I drop in at.

That didn't happen just by sitting in your garage.
Turning out of alley, BANG! CLUNK! Turn around, park in garage. Pool of gear oil. Hole in Diff.
have you ever compared the diameter of the front half shafts with those on the rear ? Shafts and other driveline components can experience stress over time, sometimes resulting in failure, which is why I inquired about towing and pulling a boat out of the water, in AWD lock with equal torque distribution the front shafts are not the issue - but those rear shafts are pretty skinny, reflecting that the AWD SFS is designed for mostly FWD operation. Some may say it's not the shaft that failed but the rear diff gears are usually designed with matching torque specs and that rear transfer unit is pretty compact.
Have not compared the front half from the back half. Very compact. Definitely a rear diff transfer unit failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No never driven more than the length of a snowy alley way in AWD lock. Never submerged (that I know of). Pretty particular about which lakes and launches I drop in at.

Turning out of alley, BANG! CLUNK! Turn around, park in garage. Pool of gear oil. Hole in Diff.

Have not compared the front half from the back half. Very compact. Definitely a rear diff transfer unit failure.
Have you brought the car in yet to get it checked out? If not, can you take a pic inside of the hole? I'm interested to see what actually broke inside.

Just FYI, there is a used diff on ebay right now for $340.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Have you brought the car in yet to get it checked out?
why - so someone can tell him there is a hole blown in the rear diff and AWD no longer is operational ? Hyundai doesn't look at your car for free - plus he didn't even get a MIL , lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts