Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, attached a photo of what happens when the wiring harness for the trailer hitch in 2012 VC catches fire (after a very rainy day and driving through some usual puddles of water on the road) .

This was likely due to some electric box (near/inside the rear bumper) in the wiring harness not being waterproof, taking some moisture/water, and catching fire (there is even a recall for this kind of incident). You can see the charred box hanging on the bumper in the photo. Luckily our neighbors were just coming home, literally at midnight, and woke us up. I was able to keep the fire from spreading until the fire department arrived.

This ended up being a total loss.We liked our 2012 VC, so our new one will be a used 2010 VC GLS AWD. I even get to keep (w/o having to sell them) the new Blizzak DMV-1s that I bought a few days before the fire :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
da*n, that sucks. surprised the gas tank didn't erupt, or did it? is that a factory trailer kit? i have an aftermarket (e-trailer) one and i know there is a 'box' (relay) that i tucked in the bumper....maybe an inspection is in order.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
da*n, that sucks. surprised the gas tank didn't erupt, or did it? is that a factory trailer kit? i have an aftermarket (e-trailer) one and i know there is a 'box' (relay) that i tucked in the bumper....maybe an inspection is in order.....
This did not luckily spread to the gas tank or the interior.

The hitch and harness was installed by the dealer, as a part of the deal when I bought the car new. I have no idea whether the dealer used aftermarket or OEM parts.

The recalled (aftermarket) harness is this one:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/10/recall-aftermarket-tow-package-wiring-harnesses-for-hyundai-and-kia-vehicles-mdash-fire-hazard/index.htm

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Dang Seppo, sorry to hear that. Especially because I might have the same part on my VC. Crawling around with a flashlight I couldn't find any part number on my wiring harness; at least not without ripping it all out. :unsure:

Funny thing though... Consumer Reports says it was "sold as an aftermarket product (not through Hyundai)" and that the recall applies only up to 2011 model year. By all accounts this shouldn't have happened to you.

Edit: I remember this recall from my Santa Fe. When I asked the dealer they said Hyundai Canada is not recalling them up here. Nice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang Seppo, sorry to hear that. Especially because I might have the same part on my VC. Crawling around with a flashlight I couldn't find any part number on my wiring harness; at least not without ripping it all out. :unsure:

Funny thing though... Consumer Reports says it was "sold as an aftermarket product (not through Hyundai)" and that the recall applies only up to 2011 model year. By all accounts this shouldn't have happened to you.

Edit: I remember this recall from my Santa Fe. When I asked the dealer they said Hyundai Canada is not recalling them up here. Nice.
I tried to look at the part but it was burned too bad to read any markings. The invoice says that the 'FP-number' is 007EJ-86602. Attached please find a few more photos of the part. Hope this helps.

This was installed in July 2012. Interestingly I remember that the dealership did not initially have the wiring harness when they got the hitch. Then a bit later they called me that they found a harness in their parts bin and told me to come in have the hitch installed...and here we are today. I am just speculating if they found some old new harness that should have been recalled/discarded, that was not installed previously for a reason, but they had forgotten about it at that point...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Thanks for posting the extra pics, Seppo. It appears that I've got the same control module in my VC. We bought ours in Ottawa in August, right after you. I suspect this is not just a case of grabbing an old part, but rather failing to extend the recall far enough.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Wow what a mess, glad no one was hurt.

Good thing truck was parked in garage, would have been a lot worse.

Fuse or fusible links should have protected the wiring from igniting, you would think.
Most of those kits have a electronic module that converts a two or three taillight system down to a single running/brake light trailer setup.

Maybe it was the cheap China harness, instead of the good China harness; either way it was out if your control.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting the extra pics, Seppo. It appears that I've got the same control module in my VC. We bought ours in Ottawa in August, right after you. I suspect this is not just a case of grabbing an old part, but rather failing to extend the recall far enough.
@don67 It might be worth it to take the car to some third party, e.g. trailer dealer, and get a whole new harness. A few hundred bucks for the peace of mind...

@santa Yep, the thought of what would have happened if the car had been parked in the garage has crossed my mind. Better not go there, we would be talking about destruction at whole different level in that case...

I got a new used car today, a 2010 VC GLS AWD w/ 75k kms on it, i.e. a bit more than the burned one at 40k kms. But now I have a sunroof, dual air, and leather seats :) All in all me and my wife liked the first VC a lot so we decided to stick with the model. And by getting a bit older used one we will end up solidly on the black after we get the check from the insurance company. All's well in the end.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
All's well in the end.
Glad to hear that your insurance company is treating you well.

Why are they writing off a 2012 Veracruz over such minor damage? From this angle it doesn't look like anything more than a $3,000 fender-bender.

Do you know if they intend to go after the maker of the wiring module?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear that your insurance company is treating you well.

Why are they writing off a 2012 Veracruz over such minor damage? From this angle it doesn't look like anything more than a $3,000 fender-bender.

Do you know if they intend to go after the maker of the wiring module?
The insurance corp claimed smoke damage in the interior, a smell that they can not guarantee that they can remove. The fire did not get inside, but some heavy smoke got in.

They did not indicate any interest in going after anyone on this one. If I hear anything, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am VERY interested in this thread. Ottawa (Orleans) Hyundai Veracruz owner - bought at Pathway. I just had the VERY SAME THING happen to my Veracruz in my driveway - Aug 12/2014. Luckily, my neighbours noticed it very early and got me and we caught it BEFORE any fire (although very heavy/putrid smoke).

Just googled the problem and discovered your previous conversation. I would be interested in sharing more info as the vehicle is just now at the dealer and my insurer is involved... no doubt a ping-pong match between them is about to ensue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts