Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to install hitch on my 09 Santa Fe and I've doing some reading on here about the install
First thing is I'm going to chase out the threads and pray they are still ok
Secondly I've attached a pic of some wiring I found underneath
Does this mean I have the factory tow prep package or do they all come with this ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Yeah but someones taken the covers off the plugs and its all messed up it appears.

Curt has the harness and hitch which is what I used when I got mine. My buddy chased out the threads as well with a hard tapping ended bold before bolting it up. LTD's come tow ready with harness. A signature is easier to read in my case !!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a Curt hitch and the T connector . I took the Fe to a machine shop to get threads cleaned out and they said they were iffy so the opened them up to a 7/16" fine thread now.They said there was lots a meat there to tap.
Hopefully that will be fine.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Buy a Hyundai OE harness and plug it in ... Remove them 2 caps and run plug in OE harness

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You'll then need a set of 5 or 6 grade 7/16 bolts to match the new threads. You won't find them in a hardware store!! Screws and bolt around our stores are mostly cheap white metal. Look at the head of the bolt for the grade markings.

PS: SBR711 Those caps are already off in the photo with crude in the pins. They'll need cleaning out but still the best way to connect. I would not go to the tail lights and tap into them.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Trip and SBR, do either of you fine gentlemen know of a source for the mating connectors? If somebody wanted to change the turn signal bulbs for high intensity LED's, this would be an excellent point to connect load resistors to prevent hyperflashing.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Of hand not but I have seen the loading resistors on various sites that sell LED's but I am resistant to using them. Another connection and heat source.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll then need a set of 5 or 6 grade 7/16 bolts to match the new threads. You won't find them in a hardware store!! Screws and bolt around our stores are mostly cheap white metal. Look at the head of the bolt for the grade markings.

PS: SBR711 Those caps are already off in the photo with crude in the pins. They'll need cleaning out but still the best way to connect. I would not go to the tail lights and tap into them.

I bought grade 8 bolts so I should have it covered.
As for wiring I'm just gonna use the T connector that I bought

What should I torque them to ?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Its in the CURT instructions paper but you could go more Ft/Lbs within reason. Surprisingly its not as high as you'd think. I put a CURT on my Highlander and went a fair bit more as it seemed too loose.

Shops don't torque them anyway. They just use their air gun, wack wack wack and done!! LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its in the CURT instructions paper but you could go more Ft/Lbs within reason. Surprisingly its not as high as you'd think. I put a CURT on my Highlander and went a fair bit more as it seemed too loose.

Shops don't torque them anyway. They just use their air gun, wack wack wack and done!! LOL
lol
Instructions say 48 so I guess I will go with that

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Yeah and as for powering the covertor for the trailer lights you'd need independant source of 12V. Those plugs underneath are an entirely different circuit for the purpose designed an has the 12V and ground there. By far the best solution. auto light circuits aren't build for more amps. You'd get away with one set of bulbs but that may be it.

48 lbs is puney torque IMO I bet I can leverage that with a 1/4" ratchet!! LOL Use the supplied collar washers provided!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah and as for powering the covertor for the trailer lights you'd need independant source of 12V. Those plugs underneath are an entirely different circuit for the purpose designed an has the 12V and ground there. By far the best solution. auto light circuits aren't build for more amps. You'd get away with one set of bulbs but that may be it.

48 lbs is puney torque IMO I bet I can leverage that with a 1/4" ratchet!! LOL Use the supplied collar washers provided!!
I put them on at 50 ft/lbs with supplied washers and loctite

With this T connector i thought it was a simple matter of unplugging vehicle connector and putting supplied plug in line.
Ground it and Bob's ur uncle.
Thats what instructions say and the last one i did was the same.
What do you mean " powering the converter" ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw
Do you know if because my Fe has those wiring plugs underneath at the back if it has trailer towing prep package or do all Santa fe's have that wiring ?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Converters are normally powered from a independent 12V source which directs the current to the trailer lighting. It doesn't use power from the brake or running lights of the vehicles which are easily overloaded !! Curt converters are either 5 or 7 amp for trailer (spec's on their website and its higher than other manufacturers converters).

As for the under the vehicle plugs. LTD's have them since they are tow rated at 3500lbs and have the tow package built in. Unless there is an option for others its not their.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Converters are normally powered from a independent 12V source which directs the current to the trailer lighting. It doesn't use power from the brake or running lights of the vehicles which are easily overloaded !! Curt converters are either 5 or 7 amp for trailer (spec's on their website and its higher than other manufacturers converters).

As for the under the vehicle plugs. LTD's have them since they are tow rated at 3500lbs and have the tow package built in. Unless there is an option for others its not their.
Well thats good
Glad it has towing package

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The picture reflects harness as received from Hyundai off the truck.. what you think is corroded terminals is "WEATHERPAC" plugs in connector body due to not having terminaled wires in the connector.. unplug them caps !!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree. Still looks like it has the caps on it. I bought this when I did mine...
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R34H1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
Seems to be working fine...not sure how it will hold up compared to OEM.

·
Registered
244 Posts
duster - The harness that you provided a link to looks more like a generic item that you need to splice into the system.

The link below from Curt is the one I had bought for my Santa Fe and it simply plugs into those two connectors behind the rear wheel. No need to ground or add any other connections. Just plug it in and then use some zip ties to keep it in place. I also bought a mount that straps to the hitch to make accessing the end of the 4 pin connector easy.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56152

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts