Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking some help on this one. I have a 2006 santa fe that I recently hit a big pot hole filled with water. This caused my battery light to come one. All seemed fine until I started to get decreased electrical power (lights, wipers, no dash, etc.. I was barely able to make it home, then the truck died completely. I allowed every thing to dry and it started back up a few hours later. I tried to start it again this morning and the battery lights are back on and the engine started but with weak electrical again.

I am not really a mechanic but can do some things. Does anyone have some things I can try before I have to take it to a mechanic? I dont really have much money so I will like to try to fix it myself if I can.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
forget battery an alternator for a minute here. if the puddle was the initial trigger of the problem (a big if) then you've probably got some wiring problem such as broken insulation. battery should be sealed and alternator isn't usually affected by water - unless there is something wrong with it to begin with.

start tracing out the main cables from the alternator and the battery. visual check should always be your first go-to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the voltage and it was low. The pushed the RPM's to 2000 and got little change in voltage. I guess it is the alternator , I will bite the bullet and take it to a my mechanic

·
Registered
843 Posts
The battery voltage should be at some 12.5 volts when engine not running.
It should reach 14.0...14.4 volts with engine running.
So, ernboas, what voltages did you measure?
If you are lucky it only is slipping of the tention belt which drives the alternator.
Then voltage should reach a higher level like maybe 13 or 13.5 volts when revving up.
Then the problem will go away in a day or two, when it dries out.
But when voltage doesn't rise much higher at revving, it doesn't look good.
I had a similar problem with my alternator when water got in.
It fried the voltage regulator and a number of output diodes inside it. So voltage only dropped. So the alternator defenitely is not very waterproof, as I myself expected it to be.
Because you're mechanic probably could hardly repair it you then would need a new alternator.
When you have an older 95 amps alternator type the newer ones are 110 amps, but come with a smaller drive wheel to enhance idle performance. So then you probably also would need the bit shorter belt which would be sold with it, but to some extra costs..

Good luck,
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts