Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I thought that I would reach out to the experience of this group to determine the point at which the Sonata alternator should be rebuilt to prevent an on-the-road failure. It has been my experience that the brushes / slip rings wear out and are simple enough to replace once the alternator has been removed. My previous vehicles required an alternator rebuild / replacement at 140,000 and 156,000 miles, respectively. I currently own two Sonata NF models, once of which is getting close to this mileage.

Would the group be able to respond to this thread with the mileages of their alternator failures? This would be a big help for those of us looking to perform some "preventive maintenance".

:)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
My last alternator failure was at 256k miles.... 400 miles from home. Of course it's difficult to factor in when belts are too tight, ruining the bearings, or getting it oil soaked and simply gunking it to death. I don't recommend any preventative maintenance at all considering when it does fail the engine will continue to run off the battery for hours if you turn off non essential needs, thereby creating enough safety to get home in most cases.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Probably the best preventative maintenance you can do is to buy a replacement alternator. Then if it fails 400 miles from home, like jsinton, you'll have a ready replacement in the trunk. With my luck, if I did that the **** thing would fail whilst driving past a dealer.

My old Dodge Dart used to chew up and spit out starters so I put a spare in the trunk. It went to the bone yard with that starter in the trunk. :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Better off with Hyundai re-man, single parts is almost as much as alternator, and it still used at that.

NF with V6, make sure the left hand cam cover not leak oil out and foul the alternaotr over time.

I have a TOYOTA Re-Man alternator with over 260,000+ mile on it..

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
CONFESSION: I ride around with two spare alternators in my trunk, and the tools necessary to change them, along with most other electrical spare parts. I also have Premium AAA coverage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello again.

From the data provided (including my own experience with my previous two cars), the alternators have failed at about the following mileages:

This is somewhat of a broad range, from 138k on the low end to 256k on the high end. I noticed that 256k appears to be off by itself, perhaps the upper end of the range is more likely at 175k. If we remove the 256k (consider it to be an outlier), the average would be 153,000 miles or 245,000 kms.

That is what I was looking for. :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello All.

My '08 Sonata 2.4l has 240,000kms on it now, so I figured that I would pull the alternator apart to see what condition everything is in. The Sonata Denso alternator seems to be constructed very similarly to the NipponDenso alternator on my Kawasaki motorcycle, which I have a service manual for. :grin2: As a result, I was able to compare the wear on the Sonata brushes and slip rings with the service limits described for the Kawasaki alternator. The results were that the brushes have a fair bit of running left in them - it will be ~330,000kms before they need to be changed out. A replacement set of brushes has been acquired for $10CDN and thrown in the toolbox. The slip rings are at the service limit described for the Kawasaki, but there appears to be lots of copper remaining below that. I consulted with a local alternator rebuilder and he advised that with a new set of brushes that the alternator would likely run another 100,000-200,000kms before the slip rings wore out.

It seems that rebuilding one's alternator is becoming very rare these days. The only shop in my area that provides internal alternator parts it the same one that performs the rebuilding of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts