Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed my 2 weeks old car is making some hissing noise when accelerating. It sounds like air leak, or air movement. It is only noticeable when the window is open, and only happen at 2000rpm or higher.

Anyone has the same issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Err how come I can't edit my message?

Anyways, the noise comes when it hits 2000 rpm, OR when I hard press the pedal. I can only hear it when the car is moving, not when it is in neutral.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Could be valve noise...I find the engine is loud, especially when cold. Is it even when it's warm?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After paying more attention... the noise comes definitely from the right side... so I supposed it can be from the exhaust as well.

The bad thing is I cannot hear it if I just step on the pedal in neutral, so I cannot exactly pin down at where. I don't even know if it always make that noise because I can only hear it when the audio system is off.

The engine is also loud when cold (< 10C), but was fine after 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
So next time you go out for a drive, just keep the radio off man.. ;)

The engine is more on the right side...just sayin'.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you mean a sound that sounds like an exhaust leak, it's a 1.8L thing. The GTs do it, the sedans do it and I've heard a coupe do it. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You mean the hissing noise that sounds like air leaking is actually a characteristic of the engine? First time I heard such noise on any car.

I also heard that air strike siren-like sound yesterday. This engine is really making all kinds of funny noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the siren-like sound when starting the engine? If yes this is normal.
Yes, that was what I meant by the siren like sound. I just found that sound funny.

But that was not my original concern. My original concern is some noise that sounds like air leaking, when I step on the gas pedal at 2000 rpm or higher. I tried to record a clip, but it couldn't record the noise. I guess I will find a better recorder and try again.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The jet-like sund on start up is normal. A lot of people have noted hearing that sound. It's not damaging anything, so don't worry about it.

The other noise is just the stock exhaust system. Mine does it as well. The way I would describe it is like a metallic buzz when the throttle is pressed. I believe it's just the engine sound resonating in the exhaust system. Again, nothing to worry about. You'll hear it more with the windows down/stereo off and especially next to a curb or in an underground parking garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i recently bought my 2017 Elantra GL early last July, and have already put on 33000km(52800miles) and today when I pulled away from the light slowly engine was warm, a lot of noise coming from the air vents. The radio is turned off and the fan is off as well. Side note also have a whistling issue on my passenger right side mirror.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So i recently bought my 2017 Elantra GL early last July, and have already put on 33000km(52800miles) and today when I pulled away from the light slowly engine was warm, a lot of noise coming from the air vents. The radio is turned off and the fan is off as well. Side note also have a whistling issue on my passenger right side mirror.
Something is wrong with your math, just saying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the car is under warranty bring it to the dealer. Engine issues are covered. If it is not and you have a good mechanic, have him/her take a look. It may be normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts