Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So the weather has been a bit cool lately and I find that the Red Sled is making a bit more noise than usual. :mad:

Nothing mechanical, just the pops and groans from the plastics being subjected to very cold temps then moving around as the car turns/hits bumps/etc...

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed a new sound when the car is cold.

When gaining speed from taking off, there is an audible "hissing" from the instrument panel. :confused: Upon further investgation, it seems to be coming from the gauge needles themselves. I would venture to guess its just the motors being cold and needing to warm up.

However, the hiss seems to have worsened. I still hear it at the end of my hour drive to work when the car is completely warmed up (I keep my heat on high all the time so its like sauna in there).

Just curious---anyone notice this from their cars?

My hope is to avoid a pricey cluster repair/replacement. Im out of B2B warranty so the cost would be on me. So it could turn into a Sled replacement

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could the noise be something transferring from the steering column? I wonder if changing the position of the "tilt" wheel might change the noise somewhat. Just a random thought. I haven't encountered this noise.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too, especially after seeing the posts regarding steering column issues.

I will try to adjust the wheel on the way home. I keep mine high but maybe lowering it could help.

Maybe Ill post up a video to illustrate....never done it before but seems simple.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have been meaning to post inquiring about the very low hiss that apparently is coming from the speakers on the dash, and bouncing off the windshield, of course. It occurs with the audio system "off", and remains the same when it is turned "on" at zero volume.

My guess is that there is some power amp that is on when ever the PTS system is in any state but fully "off", perhaps in service of BlueLink, phone and other like functions. The dealer has twice stated this is normal (CND). (Here: 2013, Limited: PTS/Non-Nav, "Dimensions" Audio, BlueLink). The power amps I have installed (or had installed) in the past, defaulted to no audio output, until they sensed input signal, and likewise, shut down without input.

I don't know what audio/nav/BlueLink you have, or if you have upgraded. If you can hear your hiss with the HVAC fan running on high, then I doubt it is this (though it does sound, at least at first, like it may be coming from the cluster), as here, it is very low, but certainly audible, that is when the interior is otherwise quiet. Now, if it were to get louder, perhaps with age.... Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestions Pete.

Mine just seems to happen independent of the audio or HVAC system.

I am sure its not my radio/Bluelink because I have a base 2011 SE so no dimension system and I am pre-BlueLink

Actually, its loud enough to be heard over the music and I play mine LOUD!

Just priced out some gauge clusters on eBay...not too expensive to buy but the programming at the dealer is the X-factor.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Good suggestions Pete.

Mine just seems to happen independent of the audio or HVAC system.

I am sure its not my radio/Bluelink because I have a base 2011 SE so no dimension system and I am pre-BlueLink

Actually, its loud enough to be heard over the music and I play mine LOUD!

Just priced out some gauge clusters on eBay...not too expensive to buy but the programming at the dealer is the X-factor.
Does the hiss go away at all? Meaning if you maintained speed and RPM, does the sound go away? What about key on, no motor no anything else. Does the sound exist?

And to me, hiss means a capacitor versus motor sweep. Usually.

·
Registered
343 Posts
To the OP, I've been hearing something like this recently too. I thought it might have something to do with cold or slipping belts because I only hear it during acceleration. When cruising there's no sound at all.

One other consideration I had (but possibly unfounded) is related to oil flow. I have not been using OEM filters for my oil changes and I remember a thread about some strange noises that could come from the car if you don't. Like I said, completely unfounded, but might be worth checking.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the hiss go away at all? Meaning if you maintained speed and RPM, does the sound go away? What about key on, no motor no anything else. Does the sound exist?

And to me, hiss means a capacitor versus motor sweep. Usually.
Im thinking that is the issue as well. Basically its the needles.

The sound only occurs when the Sled is moving, and stops pretty much above 30mph or 2.1K RPM. And when the interior is cold, like today (-14F FTMFL!)

Otherwise the car is silent.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Im thinking that is the issue as well. Basically its the needles.

The sound only occurs when the Sled is moving, and stops pretty much above 30mph or 2.1K RPM. And when the interior is cold, like today (-14F FTMFL!)

Otherwise the car is silent.
So if motor on, no MPH = no hiss. MPH > 0 and MPH < 30 hiss? Yeah...motor on the MPH sweep dial. That McSucks as I bet dollars to doughnuts that you cant just buy the motor.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To the OP, I've been hearing something like this recently too. I thought it might have something to do with cold or slipping belts because I only hear it during acceleration. When cruising there's no sound at all.

One other consideration I had (but possibly unfounded) is related to oil flow. I have not been using OEM filters for my oil changes and I remember a thread about some strange noises that could come from the car if you don't. Like I said, completely unfounded, but might be worth checking.
I dont think your noise is related to the oil filter. Although, as many have cautioned, using non-OEM filters will lead to weird things happening. The main culprit that seems to be reported is light knocking possibly due to oil starvation.

I would venture to guess you could have something going on with your steering column or possibly a loose vacuum hose somewhere under the dash board (if the YF even uses them). Or some type of air/liquid leakage underhood. Are there any accompanying smells that you have noticed....gasoline (fumes), antifreeze (sweet-ish), tire air (would smell like sour rubber)??

With today being so cold, the noise is more persistent than ever. Also, I noticed that Sonata's dont heat up very fast when the temp is -14! My temp gauge only went to the mark immediately above 1/4 today...never has the Sled run this cool!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
With today being so cold, the noise is more persistent than ever. Also, I noticed that Sonata's dont heat up very fast when the temp is -14! My temp gauge only went to the mark immediately above 1/4 today...never has the Sled run this cool!
Do you have the upgraded coolant neck and thermostat? I say that only because you say you have a '11. For a good run of '11s have a coolant neck that allows to much coolant to back flow the system.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would probably say I don't since I have never had the system serviced (other than my own swapping out of the factory stuff with Zerex G05). Wonder if that is something that I should check into and if the powertrain warranty would take care of it?

At the same time, the car still makes plenty of cabin heat. Just takes about 5 minutes longer than a "normal" cold day. I am not really complaining since the seat heaters pretty much make up for any heat being lost.

Like I said, its really cold right now. As long as she starts and gets me back home, I happy!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I would probably say I don't since I have never had the system serviced (other than my own swapping out of the factory stuff with Zerex G05). Wonder if that is something that I should check into and if the powertrain warranty would take care of it?

At the same time, the car still makes plenty of cabin heat. Just takes about 5 minutes longer than a "normal" cold day. I am not really complaining since the seat heaters pretty much make up for any heat being lost.

Like I said, its really cold right now. As long as she starts and gets me back home, I happy!
I took the Sonata out when we were -9 (unlike your -14) and I got full heat in about 6-8 minutes. While you feel the heat (prior to the change) the gauge didn't show good temp.

My dealer would NOT change anything unless it threw a code even though they agreed it was not heating up correctly. I went to another dealer and bought the parts and did it myself and used OEM coolant.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep thats what I figured. I'm lucky (knocks on wood) that I have never had a check engine light in almost 84K.

If I ask nicely, could you PM the part number for that neck? I will probably delay it until spring time (too cold to think about any "wet work").

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yep thats what I figured. I'm lucky (knocks on wood) that I have never had a check engine light in almost 84K.

If I ask nicely, could you PM the part number for that neck? I will probably delay it until spring time (too cold to think about any "wet work").
Let me see if I still have them. Its been a year or two since I did it. If I did what I was supposed to do Ill have the purchase invoice in a folder at home.

And yeah, its a little messy even with the radiator drained (highly recommended). So cold + liquid = no thanks. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would venture to guess you could have something going on with your steering column or possibly a loose vacuum hose somewhere under the dash board (if the YF even uses them). Or some type of air/liquid leakage underhood. Are there any accompanying smells that you have noticed....gasoline (fumes), antifreeze (sweet-ish), tire air (would smell like sour rubber)??[ /QUOTE]

No odd smells (other than the left-over fragrance of pizza when my kids ask me to bring one home). I was reading through the thread and the coolant/thermostat thing sounds interesting. I never have the hiss in warmer weather. I'll pass it off for now as a minor nuisance, but if anyone has any other thoughts I'll be glad to entertain them!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on this...

So we had some really cold temps yesterday. The noise was really loud on the drive home and I figured I would see if I could investigate it a bit.

Simple experiment performed: Come to complete stop, turn off all sound-generating items (radio, heat, etc), then accelerate while listening for the hiss.

Results point to my RPM gauge as the culprit. I mean, it sounded like I had a python in the car with me! Also, the sound does not stop once the interior warms up. I heard it all throughout the drive. Interestingly, it is only audible as the needle rises from the left side of the dial (taking off from stop or starting engine) or when acceleration is applied (RPMs increase from 1.8K to whatever).

So I am sure that I will need to investigate how to fix the instrument panel. If I am lucky, I may be able to just replace the stepper motor and not have to get a new IP and have it programmed.

If I am lucky...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
So if you're sitting there in 'park' and rev the engine, you can hear the sound increase with the rpm's?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So.. I know this thread is old but I wanted to capture all of the previous suggestions. I am now experiencing a Hissing type noise that also sounds like high pitched thin metal on metal so not sure. I started hearing it yesterday and in phoenix it was ~55ºF (cold for us lol). I always use the auto setting on my HVAC and have had no issues. However, when I set it to say 75º it begins. I tested the following scenarios to narrow down the cause but am not familiar enough with HVAC to know where it is coming from and maybe some of you pros can help out.
When temp is set to hi, no matter the mode (defrost/vent/floor/any combo of these) it seems to be gone UNTIL the cabin heats up and the air temp coming from the vent isn't the hottest it can be.
When temp is set to anything less and the interior temp is close to it(not needing hottest heat but a cooler air flow out of the vents) it begins with the noise.
I set driver to hi and passenger to low and it goes away(same if I do the same but switch sides).

When engine is off and ignition is on (two clicks without pressing brake pedal) no matter the setting, no noise and all HVAC settings work.
The sound seems to be coming from the dash behind the radio/HVAC controls but because of the nature of the sound, it is deceiving as to where specifically it is coming from.
I will check after work, once I hear it in cabin, if I can hear the noise outside of the car too, but so far, only inside(yesterday I rolled down windows while driving and didn't hear it).

My guess is it happens when some type of temperature blending is happening where it is on anything other than just full heat. I "tested" the AC by setting it to low and it blows cold, however, it is cold outside so....that could just be outside temps coming in.

Anyone have any other ideas or things to test before I have to pay dealership or someone to diagnose it, and me not have to pull the dash apart?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Also, no odors/smells. Car is driving the same as it has been (needs EWG re-adjusted due to the cold).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts