Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I’m starting this discussion as I am one of the growing number of people experiencing issues with highway driving assist. if anyone here is getting this error, please comment about that here. Seems to occur after updating the navigation and if you live in New York City or Los Angeles. May be happening in other places too. It is a software problem that is growing as more people update. YouTube Vid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup. I live in LA and can confirm that I have this problem too. I'm driving a 2020 Sonata Limited. On a side note, I love HDA. Even with this issue, it's still super useful for my long commute.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup. I live in LA and can confirm that I have this problem too. I'm driving a 2020 Sonata Limited. On a side note, I love HDA. Even with this issue, it's still super useful for my long commute.
Did you update your navigation?

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
22 Posts
Also live in LA and can confirm, HDA has errored out to me on the 10 and the 101 so far. On the April 2021 update as well

·
Registered
169 Posts
Also live in LA and can confirm, HDA has errored out to me on the 10 and the 101 so far. On the April 2021 update as well View attachment 457227
I have the 2021 Limited and have not seen this. Did you do the FULL update? There were two updates in the 2021 Update. November and April. If you pulled the USB after the first update, you did not get the April update!

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
22 Posts
I have the 2021 Limited and have not seen this. Did you do the FULL update? There were two updates in the 2021 Update. November and April. If you pulled the USB after the first update, you did not get the April update!
Funny enough, that actually did happen to me. I was wondering why my system looked different than others (icon wise) once I updated, and it turns out I was on V005. Popped the USB back in and it installed V006. Unfortunately however, the HDA error came up after I had already installed V006. It seems like it only comes up in certain parts of the freeway, everywhere else it has worked flawlessly. As soon as I left the 101 I re-enabled it again and it had no problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Funny enough, that actually did happen to me. I was wondering why my system looked different than others (icon wise) once I updated, and it turns out I was on V005. Popped the USB back in and it installed V006. Unfortunately however, the HDA error came up after I had already installed V006. It seems like it only comes up in certain parts of the freeway, everywhere else it has worked flawlessly. As soon as I left the 101 I re-enabled it again and it had no problems.
Then it obviously has something to do with the area. I live in WV and MD and have not seen this on any freeways in this area. My bet is it‘s some goofy regulation specific to the area that Hyundai had to accommodate. California and New York so far. No surprise there!

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
22 Posts
Then it obviously has something to do with the area. I live in WV and MD and have not seen this on any freeways in this area. My bet is it‘s some goofy regulation specific to the area that Hyundai had to accommodate. California and New York so far. No surprise there!
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Regardless though, HDA and any of the driver assist features in this car are amazing and work extremely well!

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s not an issue with running the update. I ran the update 4 times and bought 3 different USB drives trying to figure out if I was at fault. It’s a software problem. HDA used to work on the original radio version without erroring out for me in New York City. It still works flawlessly outside of NYC too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This update wasn't Hyundai's finest hour. HDA only works on Interstate's and relies on its feed from the connected servers. It's obviously not getting that feed in certain scenarios. When you push the button in the roof panel to get driving directions it's also connecting to the Hyundai server. It's started working intermittently for me after the update. Also in case anyone hasn't notice an entire sub page of convenience settings is missing.

I'd bet we'll be getting an update shortly that'll fix all of this. Especially with the HDA error that's involving dealers because it looks like a technical issue.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This update wasn't Hyundai's finest hour. HDA only works on Interstate's and relies on its feed from the connected servers. It's obviously not getting that feed in certain scenarios. When you push the button in the roof panel to get driving directions it's also connecting to the Hyundai server. It's started working intermittently for me after the update. Also in case anyone hasn't notice an entire sub page of convenience settings is missing.

I'd bet we'll be getting an update shortly that'll fix all of this. Especially with the HDA error that's involving dealers because it looks like a technical issue.
It looks to be a map issue and it’s been going on since the November 2020 update (Maybe Earlier). It happens in the same spots on the highways I take but who really knows what the issue is. Enough people going to the dealer might lead to a fix.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
849 Posts

Where are you getting that HDA requires a feed from the servers? I believe that it uses data from the navigation database. Which is why only map updates increase the quantity of roads that are HDA-enabled. As I personally witnessed for a highway near me that became HDA-enabled after one of the map updates.

·
Registered
169 Posts

HDA works on ALL roads and not just interstates. It does not rely on feed from servers. It uses the navigation database. When that database is updated, certain states (i.e. NY and CA) have declared certain freeways off limits.

·
Registered
190 Posts
HDA works on ALL roads and not just interstates. It does not rely on feed from servers. It uses the navigation database. When that database is updated, certain states (i.e. NY and CA) have declared certain freeways off limits.
Guess again...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Guess again...

This article only supports what I said. It does not use servers. And, HDA does work on roads that are not freeways, highways, etc. I use it all the time. As long as there are lane markers in a road, it will work.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you mixed up Lane Centering Assist (LCA) and HDA. HDA is only active on approved highways that have been added to Hyundai’s “approved” list of highways to work. HDA is only active when your “cruise” symbol changes to an “HDA” symbol. Steering assist will work on all roads but I can guarantee that you will not see an HDA symbol when not on a highway (State or Federal to be exact). When we get that HDA error, our auto steering and radar cruise still works, we just don’t get those added HDA benefits.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you mixed up Lane Centering Assist (LCA) and HDA. HDA is only active on approved highways that have been added to Hyundai’s “approved” list of highways to work. HDA is only active when your “cruise” symbol changes to an “HDA” symbol. Steering assist will work on all roads but I can guarantee that you will not see an HDA symbol when not on a highway (State or Federal to be exact). When we get that HDA error, our auto steering and radar cruise still works, we just don’t get those added HDA benefits.
The “other” added features are insignificant IMO. Yes, when on SCC, the speed will reduce to the speed limit - sometimes - but not always. And, reduced speed on turns can be turned off. Whether you see HDA or not, the car is still driving itself.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The “other” added features are insignificant IMO. Yes, when on SCC, the speed will reduce to the speed limit - sometimes - but not always. And, reduced speed on turns can be turned off. Whether you see HDA or not, the car is still driving itself.
I completely agree with that. The issue is that when I try to use it, I get an error message for HDA every time I try to turn it on in New York City on a highway. It’s a service message so it’s definitely not normal operation. Also, it keeps beeping and showing that message everytime you use the turn signal or put your hands on the wheel so it becomes very frustrating. A new car just shouldn’t be throwing service messages this early on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts