Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if there is a post about this, I did try to do a search didn't come across anything.

What's the highest miles someone has on there hybrid?

I am asking as I do a lot of driving and wonder what 2011/12's have done ( unless a 2013 owner really did a lot of driving ).

Also for anyone with high miles what's the biggest repair to date?

Thanks

· Registered
403 Posts
I'm at around 86/87k on my '11. I think there were a couple people ahead of me...

Biggest repair...
HPCU replacement or Transmission replacement. Each were a couple thousand. I don't feel like digging up the repair receipts. Both under warranty. If you count labor cost, it would have to be the HPCU, it was in the shop on and off for over 20 days to diagnose and repair just that issue.

· Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmmm thanks for the replies so far, hope more see this and give some input.

I do about 40-50,000km's a year so I want to know how long it can last without massive repairs.

Even though it's a Toyota my buddy has a 2003 Prius with about 570,000 km's and his biggest repair was $2,000.

My goal is to get 4-5 years out of the car then trade it in for an upgrade ( own it in 4 years ).

· Registered
403 Posts
Reviving an old thread...
Sold my 2011 at 100k in 2015 and I'm currently at 61k with my 2015.
2015 has had 0 repairs except due to roadkill... insurance paid for those. Except for oil change, tires, wipers, fluids etc.
Since they don't make the YF anymore.... I'm going to miss this first generation of HSH the next time I change cars!

· Registered
1,335 Posts
Glad to hear Reg! I have been lucky too since we got the "check charging system" issue fixed. Only issue in past year or so was I kept getting the evap leak code but it was repaired free under a service campaign listed here:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/543346-service-campaign-948-a.html

My 2011 is still running great, but now mostly my son uses it for school and work since he is back from the USMC. So now I get to share the Odyssey with my wife and we are putting more mileage on it than I would like but it is what it is. Insurance is too high in NY to get another vehicle at this point. The hybrid hopefully will last a few more years without any major problems.

· Registered
1,335 Posts
I have Geico for years now but also check around each year to be sure that I am getting a good rate and Geico is still the best in my situation. As an example of what I mean, we now pay around $2100 every year for 2 vehicles, ('11 Sonata hybrid and '15 Honda Odyssey) with full coverage, and that's with my son added who is 20 years old now as an additional driver. It was about $800 cheaper per year before adding him as an additional driver. I recently looked into the price increase if he were to get a new Honda Civic, and it was an additional $2300 annually just for him, so that's out of the question for now.

· Registered
540 Posts
Reviving an old thread...
Sold my 2011 at 100k in 2015 and I'm currently at 61k with my 2015.
2015 has had 0 repairs except due to roadkill... insurance paid for those. Except for oil change, tires, wipers, fluids etc.
Since they don't make the YF anymore.... I'm going to miss this first generation of HSH the next time I change cars!
I'm with you, Reg. No complaints at all about my 2011. I'm at 184K now and expect to be around 190K when I trade it in this summer.

· Registered
403 Posts
I'm with you, Reg. No complaints at all about my 2011. I'm at 184K now and expect to be around 190K when I trade it in this summer.
What's your next car; going with another HSH?
Maybe the newer members can chime in... I'm not impressed with the newest HSH compared to it's competition anymore. YF HSH was 40mpg when the competitive hybrids were 35mpg. Especially for highway drivers like myself. The newer HSH are not much improved (in mpg) when the competition is now closer to 50mpg (Accord Hybrid). It still seems like a great car but I just don't think the HSH improved as much as its competition did.
I might go EV (Model 3, Bolt, Ionic, Leaf...).

· Registered
540 Posts
What's your next car; going with another HSH?
Maybe the newer members can chime in... I'm not impressed with the newest HSH compared to it's competition anymore. YF HSH was 40mpg when the competitive hybrids were 35mpg. Especially for highway drivers like myself. The newer HSH are not much improved (in mpg) when the competition is now closer to 50mpg (Accord Hybrid). It still seems like a great car but I just don't think the HSH improved as much as its competition did.
I might go EV (Model 3, Bolt, Ionic, Leaf...).
I'm all over the place with deciding on my next car. I like the Optima hybrid and the Santa Fe Sport, but the mid life crisis in me wants a Wrangler. They couldn't be more opposite.

· Registered
631 Posts
I don't know if I could go back to a non-Hybrid. Gas prices here are a touch under $3.00 right now and I like being able to go 600+ miles per tank of gas. Got 650 on the last one when it was down to one bar on the gauge. It looks like more manufacturers will be offering hybrid SUVs in the next few years.

I just have not had good luck with Chrysler/Dodge brands over the years. I retried Ford on a 2012 Fusion and while it was pretty good it still lagged my 1999 Accord in some aspects.

Here's the 2017 IIHS report on the Wrangler: 2017 Jeep Wrangler

You can select other manufacturers and models on that page. They rate the Sonata but not the Hybrid version separately. The Sonata, Santa Fe and Optima are "Top Safety Picks" for whatever that's worth. The Wrangler 2-door is rated poorer than the 4-door.

· Registered
789 Posts
My '14 just went over 70K miles. That's with driving about 20K miles each year. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with the car because the powertrain warranty will end in about 18 months. Part of me wants to get another car but... I like seeing my loan balance get closer to zero. I really don't want another $25k+ car loan in the near future. It's nice to see people going well over 100K without many expensive repairs.

I need a mid-size car like this until my kids are older but would like something sportier. I've thought about getting a Camry or Maxima if I get rid of the Sonata but they won't provide me with the MPG that the hybrid does. Plus I'll drive more aggressive if the car is faster so the mileage will go down event more. There is no fun in driving the HSH fast :) Realistically, if I was going to replace my car I think I'd get a 2.0T Sonata. The main reason is because of the warranty. The other manufactures have shorter warranties than Hyundai/Kia.

· Registered
540 Posts
I don't know if I could go back to a non-Hybrid. Gas prices here are a touch under $3.00 right now and I like being able to go 600+ miles per tank of gas. Got 650 on the last one when it was down to one bar on the gauge. It looks like more manufacturers will be offering hybrid SUVs in the next few years.

I just have not had good luck with Chrysler/Dodge brands over the years. I retried Ford on a 2012 Fusion and while it was pretty good it still lagged my 1999 Accord in some aspects.

Here's the 2017 IIHS report on the Wrangler: 2017 Jeep Wrangler

You can select other manufacturers and models on that page. They rate the Sonata but not the Hybrid version separately. The Sonata, Santa Fe and Optima are "Top Safety Picks" for whatever that's worth. The Wrangler 2-door is rated poorer than the 4-door.
There's no way I could justify buying a Jeep Wrangler except for the fact that I've always wanted one. It defies everything I've posted here about MPG and hypermiling over the last seven years. I'll make my decision by August when I officially retire my HSH.

· Registered
631 Posts
There's no way I could justify buying a Jeep Wrangler except for the fact that I've always wanted one. It defies everything I've posted here about MPG and hypermiling over the last seven years. I'll make my decision by August when I officially retire my HSH.
That's the perfect reason. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Seeing several names of friends, former classmates and similarly-aged neighbors in obituaries has made me loosen up the spending to do things I really do not need to do but have always wanted to. It's quite refreshing, actually. :laugh:

· Registered
403 Posts
My '14 just went over 70K miles. That's with driving about 20K miles each year. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do with the car because the powertrain warranty will end in about 18 months. Part of me wants to get another car but... I like seeing my loan balance get closer to zero. I really don't want another $25k+ car loan in the near future. It's nice to see people going well over 100K without many expensive repairs.

I need a mid-size car like this until my kids are older but would like something sportier. I've thought about getting a Camry or Maxima if I get rid of the Sonata but they won't provide me with the MPG that the hybrid does. Plus I'll drive more aggressive if the car is faster so the mileage will go down event more. There is no fun in driving the HSH fast :) Realistically, if I was going to replace my car I think I'd get a 2.0T Sonata. The main reason is because of the warranty. The other manufactures have shorter warranties than Hyundai/Kia.

The 2.0T is really nice! My brother's last 2 cars were a 2008 V6 Sonata and a 2014 2.0T Sonata (compared to my 2007 2.4I4 Sonata and 2011/2015 Sonata Hybrids). It's similar car (which is good!) but significantly faster! I don't like the 'Sport' Trim's suspension though... it's supposed to be better. Don't want to go 'sporty' and 'eco' with something like the Model 3??? :) I'm probably jumping on that bandwagon... my invitation should come in several months.

I've always been kinda upset that the Optima Hybrid got better standards/options vs the Sonata Hybrid (don't know if it still does). Right after I bought the 11 Hybrid Premium, they released the Optima hybrid with a cooled glove box, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, folding mirrors, AND auto level headlamps. It was less expensive!!! Sonata looked a lot nicer though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.