Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So a few questions on my 04 Tiburon GT, obviously a 6th gear car.

1) When I drive on the highway, at exactly 65mph in 6th gear, the RPMs are extremely high at 3,000 RPMs. Is this a thing with everyone's Tib or is there something up with mine. Every other 6th speed car I've driven gets like 2k-2.5k RPMs at that speed. I didn't want to take it on a road trip where the speed limit was 85mph because that would be like 4k-4.5k!

2) This question is related to 1). So when I drive with my friend or most other people in a manual car, they can take turns in 2nd or even 1st gear and don't have to shift out of first until like 20-25mph and that is shifting at 2,200 RPMs. I don't know it just seems like when I drive this car I shift a LOT more compared to any other car. I shift at 2,200 RPMs for better gas mileage.

3) Gas mileage
I know gas mileage varies, but what do other 04 tib owners get in city driving? Mine is like 23mpg and I like to think I drive slower for better gas mileage. Does it only have low MPG because it is a v6?

4) Low RPMs
Okay so I asked a mechanic this same question and he wasn't very helpful and I was just looking for a knowledgeable answer:)
So obviously lower RPMs means better gas mileage, but is driving at like 1.5k RPMs bad for your car? Or even lower?

5) Radio
Okay haha sorry last question! So recently my radio stopped working. It's a Kenwood pandora stereo. And not just the stereo but also the clock and I can't put CDs in. My first thought was a fuse so I checked all of my 10, 15, and 20 fuses and none were out. Any ideas or a definite fuse to check?

Thank you all so so so much for your help. Any and all help is so much appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks!
-Cal

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,733 Posts
1) When I drive on the highway, at exactly 65mph in 6th gear, the RPMs are extremely high at 3,000 RPMs. Is this a thing with everyone's Tib or is there something up with mine.
I don't know what could possibly change the gear ratios, so I'd guess yours will be the same as everyone elses. It's been a while since I've driven one but I seem to remember thinking the gearing was pretty low on the 6 speed box. There didn't seem to be any difference between 6th gear on the 2.7 coup and 5th on the 2.0 version with the 5 speed box.

3) Gas mileage
I know gas mileage varies, but what do other 04 tib owners get in city driving? Mine is like 23mpg and I like to think I drive slower for better gas mileage. Does it only have low MPG because it is a v6
I'd say that sounds like pretty good city consumption for a 2.7. Especially if your talking about those little US gallons and not the bigger ones we have here in the UK.

5) Radio
Okay haha sorry last question! So recently my radio stopped working. It's a Kenwood pandora stereo. And not just the stereo but also the clock and I can't put CDs in. My first thought was a fuse so I checked all of my 10, 15, and 20 fuses and none were out. Any ideas or a definite fuse to check?
Did you check the 10A fuse inside the yellow plastic carrier? Make sure the carrier is push all the way in too.

Scottie.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Sounds like the 6sp in my Gen Coupe. It also has a 3.91 rear end ratio. 5th gear is 1:1. It's a turbo though and can develop a large engine load at low rpms which is not good.

I've found for best gas mileage low rpms when cruising is the best. If you can log the fuel injector duty cycle to see this.

First Gear Ratio :)1) 4.23
Second Gear Ratio :)1) 2.47
Third Gear Ratio :)1) 1.67
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.23
Fifth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.00
Sixth Gear Ratio :)1) 0.79
Reverse Ratio :)1) 3.99
Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) 3.91

In this spread sheet the last table labeled RPM can be modified and you can enter the gear ratios that are on any car to see the corresponding engine rpm.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2R9oQ1UwB-HUVNoZ214WGlNaFU/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the 6sp in my Gen Coupe. It also has a 3.91 rear end ratio. 5th gear is 1:1. It's a turbo though and can develop a large engine load at low rpms which is not good.

I've found for best gas mileage low rpms when cruising is the best. If you can log the fuel injector duty cycle to see this.

First Gear Ratio :)1) 4.23
Second Gear Ratio :)1) 2.47
Third Gear Ratio :)1) 1.67
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.23
Fifth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.00
Sixth Gear Ratio :)1) 0.79
Reverse Ratio :)1) 3.99
Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) 3.91

In this spread sheet the last table [FONT=&quot]labeled [FONT=&quot]RPM can be modified and you can enter [FONT=&quot]the[FONT=&quot] gear ratios that are on any car to see the corresponding rpm

Haha this all sounds very helpful, but if you could, work it like you were talking to a 13 year old haha:) Not very car savvy sorry. I mean I know the basics.

Thanks!
-Cal

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey everyone! So a few questions on my 04 Tiburon GT, obviously a 6th gear car.

1) When I drive on the highway, at exactly 65mph in 6th gear, the RPMs are extremely high at 3,000 RPMs. Is this a thing with everyone's Tib or is there something up with mine. Every other 6th speed car I've driven gets like 2k-2.5k RPMs at that speed. I didn't want to take it on a road trip where the speed limit was 85mph because that would be like 4k-4.5k!

2) This question is related to 1). So when I drive with my friend or most other people in a manual car, they can take turns in 2nd or even 1st gear and don't have to shift out of first until like 20-25mph and that is shifting at 2,200 RPMs. I don't know it just seems like when I drive this car I shift a LOT more compared to any other car. I shift at 2,200 RPMs for better gas mileage.

3) Gas mileage
I know gas mileage varies, but what do other 04 tib owners get in city driving? Mine is like 23mpg and I like to think I drive slower for better gas mileage. Does it only have low MPG because it is a v6?

4) Low RPMs
Okay so I asked a mechanic this same question and he wasn't very helpful and I was just looking for a knowledgeable answer:)
So obviously lower RPMs means better gas mileage, but is driving at like 1.5k RPMs bad for your car? Or even lower?

5) Radio

Thank you all so so so much for your help. Any and all help is so much appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks!
-Cal
1) the gear ratios are what they are. That must be normal like AS said.

2) sounds like the car's gearbox is set up for better acceleration, so you have to shift a lot- very close ratios

3) 23 for a V6 isn't bad. Mo' V's= less MPG's

4) if you are driving around at 1500 RPM, you're lugging the engine and that's bad. Cut it out. Don' be afraid of 3000 RPM. You need to open the thing up sometimes and redline it too to keep the engine running in peak form. Run at the RPMs that the engine and tranny are telling you they like. Don't shift and drive at the RPM that YOU like- the car will tell you what it wants, just listen. Your car is telling you it wants to driven, so do it.

5) Yeah sometimes there's a PITA fuse to get at in back of the radio. Double check your ground and power wires make sure they are hooked up before you dig back there for the carrier fuse AS mentioned

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,733 Posts
before you dig back there for the carrier fuse AS mentioned
The yellow fuse carrier is on the dash fusebox. But since the OP has an aftermarket stereo, there could be line fuses on the wiring behind the unit too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts