Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have passed my break-in period and am now driving at higher speeds. The rpms are very high. JyRO posted rpms for his Rio and they appear to be very close so here is what they are:

60 mph = 3,000 rpm
65 mph = 3,250 rpm
70 mph = 3,500 rpm
75 mph = 3,750 rpm
80 mph = 4,000 rpm

This really concerns me because I have never had a car that ran so high on the highway, I mean thats where your supposed to get better mpg not worse. Do you guys think it will give me worse mpg? What is everyone else experiencing with this? It truly does feel like I need to shift to 6th, but there isn't a 6th!

Anyone have any ideas on how to possibly lower the rpms?

I am so concerned that I am thinking about going to the dealership with this and see what they say.

It is a 2010 M/T and from what others were saying they were supposed to have fixed this for the 2010.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I get 550km out of a tank where most of my commute is doing 80mph. I dunno what that mileage is, don't care - it still kicks the arse off anything my coworkers drive and costs me roughly 33 bucks to fill up. As for it running high, I don't even notice it... not when my stereo's sitting at 22 :)

I guess if you really care that much you could pay them to change the synchros and tune it for the later cars (your car might be a 2010, but it might actually be a 2009.5, one of those weird 'tweener models that have some features from the new model year but not all) but I wouldn't worry about it too much personally.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think they changed gear ratio only on the blue trim for the 2010.

I have a 2006 Accent and when I hit the highway for the first time I was very surprised by the high RPM ! Fortunately it doesn't seem to affect gas milleage as I can easily do 5.8L/100km in summer on highway going at a steady speed (70MPH).

So,
1. Shift in 5th gear, maintain the speed
2. Turn on the radio and make it loud
3. Enjoy the ride ;-)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
it sounds like the trans with the revised 5th gear ratio is randomly installed into accents.

I thought all blue models recieved the new trans, but I think burnitwithfire's is a GS with the revised gearing, and we have all sorts of 2010 owners with all models that do not have the revised gears.

my mistake burnitwithfire's is a canadian base L model, which I think is the same as the US Blue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i have the 5spd blue 2010 and get around 3000 at 70. I just went to 16" wheels/tires and i think it has come a little further down. will check tonight.

one thing i have noticed is that my scanguage II reads higher rpms than my dash needle reads. I even adjusted the scan guage for the larger tires so the speed on the sGII matches gps. Speedo on dash of course reads low by about 4% now.

I will check to see what rpms i have from needle and scanguage II tonight on way home and report back.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would not worry too much.

Yeah it is high, however the engine is a well built 4 cylinder, it is designed to run at higher rpms. In addition, the engine does get quieter at 3k rpm the more you drive it (least it has for me).

Granted, I wish I had the new 5th gear because the lower RPM's do help mileage (and top speed :whistling: ), however being able to pass easy without downshifting can be nice too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2011 GL has the new gears. It's at 3000rpm at 70mph.

And I still want a higher gear. I don't mind downshifting to climb a steep hill if it means an extra mpg the rest of the time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A 6th gear would be nice, but you get what you pay for. It's a tiny little engine and it likes to spin fast. Put huge tall tires on it if you want to lower your RPM, though it won;t be reflected on the speedo.

·
Registered
339 Posts
well in 5th on the highway running 70mph per my newly adjusted to gps scan gauge (due to larger tires) I was right around 2950 rpm. 60mph was about 2450 or so....

i remember i had a 1989 plymouth reliant with 4spd auto and 2.2 litre motor. it turned 3000 at 6omph.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies yall!

I am just concerned about the miles per gallon at the 70-75mph area. It says on the tag 28-40mpg on highway and I want to be on the higher end... thats why one of the main reasons I bought this car. I just don't understand how I could get good gas mileage if I'm at 75mph with 3750rpms. Does anyone think it is possible?

With my job, I work in different areas, sometimes more highway, sometimes none. But I will continue watching my mpg and see what happens.

I almost want to just drive using a full tank of gas on the highway on my day off, but unfortunately have other things to do.

·
Registered
268 Posts
With my modifications (headers, exhaust, throttle body coolant bypass, slightly larger tires, and k&n intake) I run about 38 mpg at 60 mph (~2850 k rpm) and about 33 mpg at 75 mph with 89 octane.

I imagine yours should be similar once broken in fully and the ecu adjusted properly to your driving.

It would still be nice to have the new 5th gear, I could probably break 40 =)

·
Registered
339 Posts
now as far as gas mileage, those numbers they put on the sticker used to be based on speeds of 55mph. A couple years ago all the manufacturers were forced to change to real world values and par tof that is higher speed at 65mph.

I can get 36mpg at 65 all day but as you go faster, you lose mpgs due to air resistance etc......

Most cars get their best mpg right after overdirve lock-up which is around 45mph or so.....

I am lucky to get 33mpg at 75 and even 70.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My RPM's at various speeds:

55mph 2250RPM
60mph 2500RPM
65mph 2750RPM
70mph 3000RPM

This is all in 5th gear. It seems for every 5mph faster I gain 250rpm's.

In 50/50 city/highway I've been getting between 30 and 33 mpg, and I drive with a heavy foot so I'm happy with those numbers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very interesting thread. I do not understand how some of the 2010 models have different rpms than those of the same year. It just doesn't make sense; inconsistency. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the car, but this is rubbing me a bit.
Well, 3rd tank of gas and the results are in.... 32mpg, now that is with half of the tank being after 1200 miles so I was going between 55-60mph on the highway and the other half 65-70 on highway. City as well throughout the tank.

I am reasonable happy with 32, but I have a gut feeling it is going to be lower with my next tank. I'm going to wait for that tank, I'm leaving Sunday for week for work.

Some of you did not write if you have a M/T or Auto, this is important info, so I would appreciate if you let us know

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I was on a trip in New-Brunswick last summer I could go at 80mph with no problem. I ran through an entire tank of gaz and did 31mpg.
I can do 41mpg going at 73mph (~3650rpm) . But that's 100% highway (or so).

Edit : I have the manual transmission. I think automatic is 500rpm lower for the same speed compared to a manual version.

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (Cruzin10 @ Oct 20 2010, 10:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365045
Very interesting thread. I do not understand how some of the 2010 models have different rpms than those of the same year. It just doesn't make sense; inconsistency. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the car, but this is rubbing me a bit.
Well, 3rd tank of gas and the results are in.... 32mpg, now that is with half of the tank being after 1200 miles so I was going between 55-60mph on the highway and the other half 65-70 on highway. City as well throughout the tank.

I am reasonable happy with 32, but I have a gut feeling it is going to be lower with my next tank. I'm going to wait for that tank, I'm leaving Sunday for week for work.

Some of you did not write if you have a M/T or Auto, this is important info, so I would appreciate if you let us know
Cruzin10 - I have determined that all the vehicles with lower rpm combined with a manual trans, these are the BLUE Accents. Or Canadia's version of the BLUE.

The rest of the manual transmissions have the rpm as posted in the first post.

And ... my auto transmission rpm is a bit lower than the BLUE's rpm. However, I don't think the auto / slushbox is as efficient as a clutch so I think the BLUE is more efficient than the auto trans.

For MPG:
Manual - Good
Auto - Better
BLUE - Best

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like running 3500 rpm @ 70 mph. There is no need to downshift to pass or go up hill, and the short gears are nice and sporty. That means more to me than a bit of noise and perhaps couple MPG's on the highway. The only acceptable fix for me would be a 6th gear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts