Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I won't complain about being screwed and hating hyundai - not a venting post.

61K miles. Check engine light comes on. My wife hundreds of miles from home. Turns out it is the high pressure fuel pump. No longer under warrantee.

$900 later, I am wondering what can we do for the new pump - or what did we do wrong? Can't really just get out of the car - don't really want to see this go bad again.

Any knowledgeable folks with ideas?

Some info - car is not generally driven around with gas light on, run seafoam per directions about every 8K-10K miles. We purchase gas from high traffic, hi turnover gas stations - so no real history with bad gas.

·
22,793 Posts
I honestly don't have a clue. I'm still trying to work that $900 figure past the area of my brain where my common sense resides. So far, it is an arduous task dislodging it from there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I honestly don't have a clue. I'm still trying to work that $900 figure past the area of my brain where my common sense resides. So far, it is an arduous task dislodging it from there.
Don't even get me started. That's a path I am trying to avoid traveling, That was in KC. The guy at my dealer here in suburban Chicago said the $ was about right for what they would charge. Dealer inflation and all.

Bottom line is, the best price I can find online is around $450 (if it's the pump I think it is) so that is not a cost I want to incur even if it's in my garage and I replace it myself.

·
22,793 Posts
Seafoam is a widely stocked fuel treatment that can be found in nearly every automotive parts store or any retail outlet with an automotive aisle or department. Fuel pumps fail. It happens. You would like to think this is one component (among others) that doesn't rear it's head and need replacement this soon.

I am not going to sing its praises nor discount its claims. Never used the stuff. Since Hyundai recommends Techron every XXXX miles, this is the ONLY after market product I will introduce into the fuel/engine areas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seafoam as an injector cleaner is something I have used (sparingly) in every volvo, toyota, this hyundai, kawasaki carb and fi motorcycle I've owned for easily a million combined miles.

I only added it to the post to say I have taken steps to keep the injectors clean. It is like techron in that sense. I also know many feel that modern quality gas (oxymoron?) with cleaners may make these kind of products obsolete anyway.

I doubt seafoam was the culprit here.

Back to the pump. Is this a common problem?

·
22,793 Posts
Back to the pump. Is this a common problem?
I wouldn't think so. Probably more of an anomaly. And an expensive one, at that. No different than my door handle having a small hairline crack in the underside of the plastic covering. And the transmission shifter not allowing the selector to enter the manual gate of the housing. Although, fortunately for me, it was covered.

If my fuel pump goes south, I have the 10/100,000 all-inclusive extended warranty to cover it. At $900, I'll only need to have $300 worth of more failures to recoup all my investment. Heaven forbid. ;)

So far, everything has been on the OEM warranty for replacements. I'm $1,200 in the hole, so to speak. But feeling good about that every time I read one of these posts from other owners having to open their wallets.

But I didn't want this thread to become about extended warranties. Just making a relieved observation if mine were to fail.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,805 Posts
List price is $593 for the pump. There are gaskets and such that need to go with it. Discount price is $441.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
List price is $593 for the pump. There are gaskets and such that need to go with it. Discount price is $441.
441 is what I found on line too. She just got home. Looks to me like it would have been an easy replacement in my garage. Oh well....

On the bright side, I just repaired our microwave for a $2 internal fuse :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Very rare for GDI pump to fail, but we have replace maybe 3,, 2 for sure, not sure if another tech in shop had 1..

GDI pump is expensive, add in intial diag when customer comes in and attendant writes ticket with Customer states MIL and no power..

1 - Diag time using GDS
2 - GDI pump
3 - O-ring for pump
4 - High Pressure delivery pipe (one time use)
5 - labor for pump and pipe

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't frequently drive until your fuel light comes on. Fuel in the tank keeps your fuel pump from overheating. Eventually heat will lead to its failure.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Don't frequently drive until your fuel light comes on. Fuel in the tank keeps your fuel pump from overheating. Eventually heat will lead to its failure.
I believe the high pressure pump is under the hood, not in the tank.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Pump in tank is a low pressure to supply the GDI high pressure pump on top of engine..

High pressure pump is regulated by duty cycled solenoid seen on pump body, and pressure sensor on fuel rail inputs to PCM the rail pressure

·
Registered
186 Posts
Seafoam is a widely stocked fuel treatment that can be found in nearly every automotive parts store or any retail outlet with an automotive aisle or department.

I am not going to sing its praises nor discount its claims. Never used the stuff. Since Hyundai recommends Techron every XXXX miles, this is the ONLY after market product I will introduce into the fuel/engine areas.
Thanks for the explanation, Rich. So... I'm vacationing in Cancun this July. I'll remember to wade out into the surf and check out the nearest coralhead for some Gumout carb cleaner.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yup. And look how easy it is to get to in the diagram. When she got home, I took the plastic cover off, started laughing, and grabbed a beer. Woulda saved hundreds on this job if the car was home....

THROTTLE BODY & INJECTOR (2.4L-THETA2). Fits: Hyundai | Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts

Did you look at the High Pressure pipe between the pump and fuel rail ??

That part is actually torqued in place the first time it used,, as soon as taken apart, the pipe is scrap.. You sure you have right tools to get in at rail to torque the fitting ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts