Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Elantra is making a high pitched noise between 0-30mph. Not sure if the wheel bearings are going bad, or if the sound is coming from the engine. It only makes the noise while we're moving.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Cook

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
... And the high pitch stops when you touch the brake pedal ???

If yes, time for front brake service..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll inspect the pads and rotors. My biggest concern is the wheel bearings.

Does Hyundai have a track record of bearing problems? Car has ~ 89K miles. Left front end was re-built last year about this time, right was not. Not sure if that makes a difference...which is why I'm here :thumbsup:

Also...it does not stop when i hit the brakes. The noise slows down as the car slows down. I also noticed my RPM guage "jumping" back and forth a little. Could the fuel pump be going out/having problems? Mileage is also crap now.

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
QUOTE (2001ElantraCook @ May 24 2010, 09:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325744
I'll inspect the pads and rotors. My biggest concern is the wheel bearings.
Wheel brgs will humm/growl as speed increases.. get it up to noise speed, and turn/lean the car 1 direction and then the other (weaving down the road shifting weight) and listen for sound to get louder or decrease

Does Hyundai have a track record of bearing problems?
All the time, problem is they not spec anykind of real lubricant for the ball/races.. I been taking and packing lube into the bearing via the groove between the 2 races into the bearings, then finish pressing hub through the bearing.. Mobil-1 Synthetic grease be the best to use..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.