Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here, my girls family has had an 08 elantra 2.0 new since 2008 and I've been doing the work. I recently did the timing belt ( July) with beck arnley oem parts. 65000 miles. I repleced belt, idler, and tensioner.

Right after I did it there was a mild hum at idle. It somewhat did this before the belt so I assumed it was just the new belt in plus the very mild hum it already had.

Recently it is humming very loud and high Pitched. It gets louder with higher rpm. If I take the cover of and move the needle on the tensioner while it's running it quiets down a little but it's an auto tensioner and doesn't stay right where it needs to be AND even when it is at the ideal spot it still hums.

I brought it to hyundai and they wanted 300 just to look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! She is starting to get mad at me about it.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take the cover off and run the engine and with a bright light see if the tensioner or idler vibrates. Could be a bad part or incorrect installation.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Maybe you can loosen the tension on the t-belt and see if that helps. Do you know where the arrow goes on the tensioner when using the allen key? Get this one right, and proceed to the others if still there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies! If I slide the arrow to the white marks on the tensioner it goes away, but will not stay there. It will be good for a little while but start humming again.

I removed the tensioner and idler that's it and torqued them with a brand new kobalt tq wrench. I'm going to try to adjust it with the Allen wrench but I'm pretty sure I need to back off the bolt first.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If it's like my car, there's no hydraulic tensioner, you just make the pulley tight, and bolt it down. If you get the belt too tight, it will hum like that. I'd be taking off the upper cover and adjusting the tension until it quiets down.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
but I'm pretty sure I need to back off the bolt first.
Yes, that's the only way to adjust it. Make sure engine is OFF.
Align timing marks, Loosen tensioner bolt, Move arrow to the middle, COUNTERCLOCKWISE ONLY with allen key, tighten bolt, manually turn the crank over twice, check arrow is in middle, if not repeat.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I installed a Bech Arnley kit a few weeks ago and it's quiet.

Shouldn't matter but I had the manufacturer logo readable from the passenger side, no travel direction was indicated on belt though.

Auto tensioner was lined up like HMA website said to.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If it's like my car, there's no hydraulic tensioner, you just make the pulley tight, and bolt it down. If you get the belt too tight, it will hum like that. I'd be taking off the upper cover and adjusting the tension until it quiets down.
it's not like your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't get the Hyundai site to work. I called Hyundai and they said it was for employees only. It asks you to accept the terms but it doesn't show you terms to accept, tried on multiple computers.

I just can't seem to get it to stay put. I get it tightened a little and then it makes the noise later on. I should have never touched the car!!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I can't get the Hyundai site to work. I called Hyundai and they said it was for employees only. It asks you to accept the terms but it doesn't show you terms to accept, tried on multiple computers.

I just can't seem to get it to stay put. I get it tightened a little and then it makes the noise later on. I should have never touched the car!!
Must use IE web browser for this site

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts