Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anybody used high mileage oil on 2.4L Sonata? What are its benefits and when is the right time to switch from conventional? Which one is good: Valvoline Maxlife vs Mobil Super 5000?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
regardless of mileage, (whether it be 50,000 or 200,000), IMO, if the engine is running fine there is no need to switch to a HM Oil. If it ain't broke don't fix it works in this case. If I had to make the change I like the Maxlife.

·
Registered
882 Posts
full synthetic oil is always the best choice, provide the best protection for your engine, no matter how many mileages and years of the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
if you wanna compare these two, Valvoline Maxlife is better it's synthetic blend. But I would go for full synthetic

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I ran plain old Castrol GTX 5/30 in my Toyota to 355,000 when couple valve seat burnt... clean as a whistle inside when I tore it apart, but I was consistant with my 3-5000 mile oil change also, mine didnt really know what city drive is, it was a highway most of it' life

Doing Mobil-1 Synthetic 5/30 in current ride since 98,000, working 214, today I think it is

·
Registered
39 Posts
The missus Honda minivan has 172K miles and my Sonata has 186K miles. I noticed a few months ago they both started using about 3/4 quart or more oil between changes .... both cars oil r changed at 3000K. After some reading I changed the PVC valves for both engines and started using the high mileage oil. After some time the PCV valves become gunked up and stick.... a new valve allows the blowby to get sucked back in the crankcase which cuts down on oil loss. The high mileage oil is not snake oil but oil with additives that addresses issues with older engines like seals and ring seal. While my oil consumption has not totally stopped, I've noticed a marked reduction in oil consumption. Weather the noticeable lower oil consumption was from the new PCV valves or the high mileage oil I cannot say but now I can go on a long trip with either auto and not worry about checking the oil level at every gas fill up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have anybody used high mileage oil on 2.4L Sonata? What are its benefits and when is the right time to switch from conventional? Which one is good: Valvoline Maxlife vs Mobil Super 5000?
I have a 2009 NF with 2.4L I4. I've used everything from Peak conventional to Castrol GTX synblend to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Change intervals are now at 6-8K miles. At almost 100K miles no oil consumption/leaking (knock on wood). I think this engine is pretty easy on the oil although depends, of course, on usage/driving style.

As to the two products you mentioned, both are high quality motor oils. I would not hesitate to use either although MaxLife in both synthetic blend and full synthetic form is pretty legendary when in comes to slowing down or even eliminating consumption in high mileage engines. If you're not having those issues you can go with just about any fresh motor oil which meets basic requirements for this engine:
API SJ (or newer)
Grade 5w-20 (0w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30 acceptable also)

P.S. I'd recommend OEM oil filters which is what I've been using for several years. Fram Ultra is a great aftermarket alternative assuming it comes in the needed size.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The missus Honda minivan has 172K miles and my Sonata has 186K miles. I noticed a few months ago they both started using about 3/4 quart or more oil between changes .... both cars oil r changed at 3000K. After some reading I changed the PVC valves for both engines and started using the high mileage oil. After some time the PCV valves become gunked up and stick.... a new valve allows the blowby to get sucked back in the crankcase which cuts down on oil loss. The high mileage oil is not snake oil but oil with additives that addresses issues with older engines like seals and ring seal. While my oil consumption has not totally stopped, I've noticed a marked reduction in oil consumption. Weather the noticeable lower oil consumption was from the new PCV valves or the high mileage oil I cannot say but now I can go on a long trip with either auto and not worry about checking the oil level at every gas fill up.
Good to hear high mileage oil worked for You. it's funny because that High Mileage oil works for some but not for others that I been reading about. also You could have siezed/cacked on, oil control piston rings that can be problem. where there not able to move freely by expanding
& contracting like there suppose to. I would try adding something like BG EPR on next oil

change. to loosen up the oil control rings. and see if that makes a difference 3/4 quart ain't bad it's when it starts using 2-3 bottles in-between oil changes that you start damaging things like Catalytic converter , 02 sensors get coated , etc all from the oil dilution going thru the exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts