Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Accent for almost 1 month and I have noticed that when I start it up, it has a tendency to idle very high - like around 1500 rpms or so. It does this for a good 2-3 minutes before it backs down to 1000 and then another 2-3 minutes before it goes down to 750. I have not see it below 750, which seems high to me for just sitting still. Is it that it is still such a new car and I am not used to it, or could there be something wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does this happen only on cold starts? (than that's normal) or does this happen as well even after the engine is fully warm?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (mmez @ Apr 23 2010, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316134
I have had my Accent for almost 1 month and I have noticed that when I start it up, it has a tendency to idle very high - like around 1500 rpms or so. It does this for a good 2-3 minutes before it backs down to 1000 and then another 2-3 minutes before it goes down to 750. I have not see it below 750, which seems high to me for just sitting still. Is it that it is still such a new car and I am not used to it, or could there be something wrong?

Thanks!
Must be your first car :) lol... every car does this... at least every one I've ever driven. I have no experience with cars built prior to 1998 though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Apr 23 2010, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316189
Must be your first car :) lol... every car does this... at least every one I've ever driven. I have no experience with cars built prior to 1998 though.
No, not my first car (I'm 35 years old). My first car was a 1973 VW Thing. After that I had a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, which was traded in for the Accent. I only have cold starts. I go to work, park it for 9 hours, then go home. I don't usually drive it in-between because we take my husbands car when we are out with the family, but his doesn't idle so high.

·
Registered
302 Posts
QUOTE (mmez @ Apr 23 2010, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316201
No, not my first car (I'm 35 years old). My first car was a 1973 VW Thing. After that I had a 1997 Jeep Cherokee, which was traded in for the Accent. I only have cold starts. I go to work, park it for 9 hours, then go home. I don't usually drive it in-between because we take my husbands car when we are out with the family, but his doesn't idle so high.
it's normal thing, what car does your husband drive? and what's the engine on it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
What the engine is doing is the same as the cars of days gone by with carbs that during cold starts go on automatic choke when started up cold, even back then every vehicle had different high idle ranges. perfectly normal :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts