Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 with stock headlights. Sometimes when I push the lever forward for high beams, they don't turn on or it takes a few seconds for them to illuminate. In the case where they don't illuminate, moving the lever back and forth a few times gets them to turn on. I've never experienced this on any other vehicles. To me, it's a lack of quality control and or a poor design. Anyone else have this issue? I'm just at 60k. Any chance a dealer would look at this and do a courtesy warranty R&R?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Bear in mind that the switch doesn't control the lights directly, it's an input to the BCM. The actual function of operating the lights is performed by the BCM. So there may be a lag in the data bus for some reason, or it could be the switch itself. Unfortunately with this type of system it's not as easy to troubleshoot as one where the switch does connect directly to the lights.
If you're still under the 5/60 warranty and can replicate the problem fairly easily, you may want to have a dealer check it.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
The a switch uses mechanical contacts to ground the BCM. I would take the switch off and drown it in WD 40. Operating it many times, spray again then blow it out with air.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My car does the same thing. I had a friend whose sonata did it too and then his car started doing all kinds of things weird electrically. He went to a place and they did a battery test and it was bad. Got a new battery and he said has never had a problem with his lights since. You are probably like me and are getting to the point where we are about to need new batteries

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New battery was installed in March. The original didn't even last 3 years. :(

Are there more detailed instructions for cleaning the lever?

·
Registered
699 Posts
:(
It's difficult to call this a lack of quality or poor system design when you still have not determined the problem.

Get you feet wet, you have been advised what may be the problem but nobody can give all the answers. Its your Sonata, check it out and let us know when you find this problem cause. These early Sonata's are getting older and some things are bound to fail. If your feet are cold get a friend to help or visit the dealer. Have you done anything in the way of troubleshooting?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:(
It's difficult to call this a lack of quality or poor system design when you still have not determined the problem.

Get you feet wet, you have been advised what may be the problem but nobody can give all the answers. Its your Sonata, check it out and let us know when you find this problem cause. These early Sonata's are getting older and some things are bound to fail. If your feet are cold get a friend to help or visit the dealer. Have you done anything in the way of troubleshooting?
When the system doesn't work properly on a car this new, it is a quality issue like the looseness of the interior door locks. Excuse me if I don't feel like tearing into my steering column with the advice of one suggestion I got on a forum. This is why I asked if anyone has more detailed instructions for this "procedure." As far as early Sonatas, mine is a 2011 built August 2010 and over 120,000 cars were built before mine. Is it really any early model? Shouldn't a company as large as Hyundai have the know how on a switch to activate high beams regardless if my car is a first year model? Im past 60k so dealer won't help. I've found them to be pretty unhelpful anyway.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Your Sonata is not new nor nearly new anymore. The 2014's are new, before that the 2013, then the 2012, finally the 2011. Before long the 2015 will be out and the new model. I'm in the same boat, my 2011 was built in November 2009 and I purchased it new on February 22nd, 2010 from the Sanford, FL Hyundai dealer. I'm thankful it still looks new while I know its not.

It doesn't have any problems and the high beam headlight switch works without fault. I believe it would qualify as an early 2011. Likewise, no problem noted with the interior door locks?

Good luck on your repair. I doubt Hyundai will repair it free unless there is a recall on the switch or system. A recall would lead to the conclusion there is a problem with the quality or design of the switch.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your Sonata is not new nor nearly new anymore. The 2014's are new, before that the 2013, then the 2012, finally the 2011. Before long the 2015 will be out and the new model. I'm in the same boat, my 2011 was built in November 2009 and I purchased it new on February 22nd, 2010 from the Sanford, FL Hyundai dealer. I'm thankful it still looks new while I know its not.

It doesn't have any problems and the high beam headlight switch works without fault. I believe it would qualify as an early 2011. Likewise, no problem noted with the interior door locks?

Good luck on your repair. I doubt Hyundai will repair it free unless there is a recall on the switch or system. A recall would lead to the conclusion there is a problem with the quality or design of the switch.
No, my car is not new, but it's not old. Is an 1988 Honda Civic old or is a 1921 Model A old? Is a Boeing 737 that was built in 2005 old?? No, that's quite new for an aircraft. I guess its all relative. My points is, on a car that's only 3 years old, mine, all of the systems should function correctly if it has been maintained, used normally and not abused.

My headlight issue is very minor. Its a minor annoyance. As for the door locks, they work just fine, but sometimes they rattle and there is a lot of play in the latches like an old GM car. That's just how it is. Yes, that's a quality issue. In my opinion, the door latches should be tighter and more solid, but I knew they were like that when I bought the car so I'm not really complaining too much.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, I agree with what you're saying. I worked on aircraft and know they can be old in years but still high in quality. One reason is the scheduled, required service and inspections to maintain the needed qualifications to fly and carry passengers. Required overhauls after specified flight hours or engine hours are another.

When in Japan in the 60's and 70's inspections such as those made on aircraft were made on the autos there to keep autos on the road. May not be a requirement now but it was then. Many Japanese would junk their autos and purchase another as the inspection requirements were so strict and extensive.

Hyundai does make higher quality autos than the Sonata, just move up the ranks to a more expensive auto. There are 3 lines above the Sonata and 2 below it. Been good chatting with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
High Beams

When I push the lever for the high beams to come on nothing happens, now when I pull it the high beams come on but will not stay on any suggestions or help 2012 Sonata 40,685 miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts