Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally going to start doing stuff with my car. I've been busy with work and school but I figured i'm always gonna be crammed with school and work, so why not start now? So i'm just wondering, how many of you guys in Canada installed your HIDs and bypassed your DRL? There are a couple of stores around my area that bypasses the DRL.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Not in Canada, so I don't have DRL, but I put HIDs in my fog lights. Hardly any glare (never been flashed) and they light up the road better than the stock headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i'm not sure, but I've heard that if I don't bypass my DRL then my HID lights wil flicker every now and then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i'm not sure, but I've heard that if I don't bypass my DRL then my HID lights wil flicker every now and then.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Dear soulJ:

We don't know each other, but know that if I ever am driving opposite from you at night, I will want to smash your headlights and quite possibly will anyway because I'll be so blinded by you shoving HID bulbs in a halogen designed headlight that I'll be blind and wander into your lane for a nice head on collision. Please don't be a **** and install them without doing a proper retrofit.

Yours truly,

Everyone on the Road

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well the only reason that the HID's are so bad is because the headlight is aimed at the highbeam level, so if you do what i did, you can just use a socket wrench and lower the aim of the headlight.
It makes it look way better, you can see even more of the road, I used to get flashed, now i never do.
Just make sure you keep them at the same level otherwise you will look dumb, dont worry its easy, and you can eye ball it.

As for disabling DRL here is a vid on how to disconnect it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (Meakame @ Sep 22 2010, 08:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358130
Well the only reason that the HID's are so bad is because the headlight is aimed at the highbeam level, so if you do what i did, you can just use a socket wrench and lower the aim of the headlight.
It makes it look way better, you can see even more of the road, I used to get flashed, now i never do.
Just make sure you keep them at the same level otherwise you will look dumb, dont worry its easy, and you can eye ball it.

That's not the only reason dude. The reflectors inside the headlight were designed to amplify the light from a halogen bulb. Toss a brighter xenon bulb in there and you're amplifying it that much more. It's dangerous, it's incredibly bright no matter what you do to 'aim' it, and intensely irritating to everyone on the road. Headlights are safety feature of the car - not just for you, but for everyone else too. Maybe your visibility is higher but everyone else's is lower. It's a terrible mod and I could never, ever endorse or recommend it. Do it right or not at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Naky @ Sep 22 2010, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358105
Dear soulJ:

We don't know each other, but know that if I ever am driving opposite from you at night, I will want to smash your headlights and quite possibly will anyway because I'll be so blinded by you shoving HID bulbs in a halogen designed headlight that I'll be blind and wander into your lane for a nice head on collision. Please don't be a **** and install them without doing a proper retrofit.

Yours truly,

Everyone on the Road
lol.. I'll make sure that I DON'T blind people. Obviously I won't onto the road without doing a proper fit lol.

QUOTE (Meakame @ Sep 22 2010, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358130

Thanks for the tip and the vid man!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Why bypass the DRL... why not just purchase bulbs with HID-low and halogen-high?
My understanding was that the DRLs were actually running off the highbeams and not the low.

Anyway, I highly doubt you will kill anyone. I was going to get HIDs previously but have given up on moding my car any further.

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (StripedAccent @ Oct 17 2010, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364156
Why bypass the DRL... why not just purchase bulbs with HID-low and halogen-high?
My understanding was that the DRLs were actually running off the highbeams and not the low.

Anyway, I highly doubt you will kill anyone. I was going to get HIDs previously but have given up on moding my car any further.
because the hid dual bulb (hid/halogen) are not made to have drl, only strictly made for highbeam and lowbeam..
my friend put hid's in her accent and basically rewired the drl wires to the signal bulbs and added a relay to get rid of flickering (relay was 10buks). i dunno if this is your cup of tea but i think its fine, the drl are now the side orange signal bulbs kinda like when you just have the parking lights on

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
QUOTE (soulJ @ Oct 17 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364140
It's a long shot, but would it make a difference if you put some eyelids for the hids?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/06-10-Hyundai-Accent-He...=item27ad54bdfd

Ps. I got the HIDs finally installed. Where have I been without them? lol :banana:
Those are what I've been looking for for a long time.  Getting these ones.  Thank you!

I just hope they don't mess with the range of the highbeams, with them being so thick.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Oct 17 2010, 10:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364172
Those are what I've been looking for for a long time.  Getting these ones.  Thank you!

I just hope they don't mess with the range of the highbeams, with them being so thick.
Awesome. lol. :thumbsup:

Please let me know when you do this because I really want to know if they actually make a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have installed them on my car
they aint so much brighter because the light is scattered
I have lowered the aim to prevent glare
I have used glare shield to prevent glare
aint nothing work on our halogen headlights
just because I have guilty conscience I took them out
so i wasted 200dollars for nothing

now I highbeam back at people with hids

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (dkwanabe @ Nov 9 2010, 05:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370306
I have installed them on my car
they aint so much brighter because the light is scattered
I have lowered the aim to prevent glare
I have used glare shield to prevent glare
aint nothing work on our halogen headlights
just because I have guilty conscience I took them out
so i wasted 200dollars for nothing

now I highbeam back at people with hids
If it makes you feel any better, I approve greatly. Just last week I was nearly forced off the road for the fifth time in two years because some dude in a jacked up truck put in 50W xenons in his halogen relectors and foglights. It was a back road where there were no street lights and so me n' my girl were both almost totally blind as this guy drove at us... it was literally like 4 intense small suns flying at us and it was so painful due to your eyes being adjusted for night.

It's to the point now where if I see these guys coming in the distance, I start pulling over to the side and coming to a stop if there's no traffic behind me because that's preferable to driving myself into the oncoming car or into the ditch. The sooner this becomes a 500+ dollar fine in every state/province, the better off everyone will be. Retrofit or bust, baby.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts