Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed going up hill when the RPM's hit around 2100 RPM this morning it looked like my HID's went into a strobe type pulse. They stayed on but got brighter every partial second. Even from a stop if I accelerated with more than 2k RPM the lights flickered.

It's done it for two days, which happened to be in the single digits tempature wise. Do you think it's my alternator or my battery having the issues? Car is a 2012 so I'm leaning more toward battery load issues.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both. And to make sure it wasn't just the HID's, after I entered the base I accelerated with just my running lights/fog lights and the flicker happened with them too. So once I turned my HID's on after a proper warm up I turned the fog lights off and it did it with HID's only.
Cliff notes - flickers with foglights and running lights and with HID's only
I also turned my heater (was going full blast) off along with the window and mirror defroster and radio.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, at least you know it is not a problem with the HIDs-- which opens up a very large box of possibilities . . . I have not a clue. I'd been much relieved if had been just the HIDs.

Good luck running this down . . .

·
Registered
729 Posts
Do you still have the original battery? I ask because I had to replace my battery in my 2012 a few months ago. At first I noticed that the blue light display on my radio would flicker very fast and only so slightly when I was at idle. A month later I noticed a slight hesitation when starting up. Got the battery tested and it was bad. Extreme temperatures (hot and cold) will bring a dying battery to its knees so that may be what you are seeing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also suspect its the battery. I had a similar issue on my Mazda 3 with the headlights and a new battery fixed it

·
22,793 Posts
Flickering. Maybe this is an accidental build-in by Hyundai when they designed the electronics that even they aren't aware of. Wouldn't it be nice to have something to warn you of potential battery failure? If this theory could be proven and holds true, it's an awesome side benefit!

It sure beats going out on some cold morning and nothing happens when you turn the key or push the "Start" button.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
If they are flickering then the voltage is fluctuating. If it is the battery it would be obvious with a plug into the lighter LED voltage display. Cheap on Amazon right now.

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks, Red. Just ordered one. I love gadgets. Especially ones with blue LED's to compliment my footwell lights. LOL

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
I thought about ordering one but figure I got too many voltmeters as it is. But $6 it's hard to beat for more bling in the cabin.

If you have an OBDII reader beware as it is the internal ECU regulated voltage and not the system voltage.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
You talked me into it. $6 and free shipping. What's not to like?

I just hope it doesn't pulse to the bass hits.

·
22,793 Posts
I just hope it doesn't pulse to the bass hits.
Even if it does, that will only make you look more "trendy & upscale" sitting inside! :grin:

The purchasing power of the forum strikes again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts