Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed these a couple of weeks ago. I used Xenon 5000k bulbs. At first, I just did the simple kit install, took about 20 minutes all together. But I soon found out they they didn't always come on, especially with the auto lights feature. So I added in the capacitor kit to each side and that solved all the issues. They now work flawlessly, no flickering whatsoever. The capacitors are a very simple 1 minute per side install, just plug and play into the ballast. The trickiest part of the original installation was running the harness through the dust cap. I ended up breaking off one of the vanes with a wire cutter then drilling a 1" diameter hole in it. The wire harness has a rubber grommet that fit perfectly, keeping the headlights sealed.

The cut off has not changed, the only real change is a brighter, whiter, crisper light output. It hard to see in these photos but you can get the idea. All in all, I'm very happy with them, would never go back to halogens. I had them on my last car for 6 years without any issues.

Wire harness on left side with ballast stuck between the battery and fuse box, capacitor between battery and air box:

Dust over with rubber grommet:

Right side with ballast and capacitor wire tied under the hood support rod base:

During daylight, but you see the difference in colour:

A little darker outside:

·
Registered
891 Posts
which kit did you use?

hmm... I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if the info on the HID kit is posted elsewhere. Do you mind letting me know what kit you bought and from where? How did you decide which brand of kit to purchase?
I am in Ontario as well. I am just over 2000 km on my 3 week old GT, but the first item I want to improve is the night lighting.
My previous car had factory HID lighting... guess I am spoiled for it.
~Brad

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looks good sir! I can't wait to get mine done in the spring! I'm very jealous right now lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
LeMeez: don't we canucks have HIDs standard? Mine seems to (judging by the look of the headlight). I'm kinda confused. Then again I'm stupid, so that happens often!

·
Registered
167 Posts
LeMeez: don't we canucks have HIDs standard? Mine seems to (judging by the look of the headlight). I'm kinda confused. Then again I'm stupid, so that happens often!
No we don't, HIDs are not optional either. We have standard halogens.

HID's give off a bluish tint.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Really? That's awfully weird then, since I'm sure I have projectors. Unless there's somehow a halogen bulb in my projector housing. I've never seen halogen headlamps that look like this. My low beam looks identical to the projector housing on my other car with HIDs.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Really? That's awfully weird then, since I'm sure I have projectors. Unless there's somehow a halogen bulb in my projector housing. I've never seen halogen headlamps that look like this. My low beam looks identical to the projector housing on my other car with HIDs.
There are plenty of cars with projector halogen headlights. Sonata, Dodge Dart, Honda CR-Z....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Projectors are just a type of reflector, HID's are generally projectors as they focus the light better but you can still have halogens in projectors.

All factory-installed HID's are in projector housings, you can buy 3rd party HID's that are not in projector housings but those are of questionable legality.

There are plenty of cars with projector halogen headlights. Sonata, Dodge Dart, Honda CR-Z....
Yep, all 2012 and 2013 Mazda3's have projectors and they're all halogens except for the top of the line 2.5 engine trims that has HIDs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Projectors are just a type of reflector, HID's are generally projectors as they focus the light better but you can still have halogens in projectors.

All factory-installed HID's are in projector housings, you can buy 3rd party HID's that are not in projector housings but those are of questionable legality.

Yep, all 2012 and 2013 Mazda3's have projectors and they're all halogens except for the top of the line 2.5 engine trims that has HIDs.
Well consider this old man "schooled". :) I had no idea they started coupling halogens and projectors. Most likely to fool stupid old guys like me into thinking HIDs were standard. The nerve of those deceptive marketing criminals!! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
The list of vehicles with halogen/projector combo is quite long... Most every manufacturer has at least one or two that have this combo.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well consider this old man "schooled". :) I had no idea they started coupling halogens and projectors. Most likely to fool stupid old guys like me into thinking HIDs were standard. The nerve of those deceptive marketing criminals!! :D
LOL, no worries. We all have to learn somehow.

I haven't purchased a car in 10 years, so I'm a bit behind the times. :)
Yeah this is my first new car, my previous vehicle was a 99 Toyota Corolla and before that it was a 93 Honda Civic. This is the first time I've owned a car that has power locks and windows and even those features seem technologically advanced and new to me!

·
Registered
163 Posts

Not the ones installed at the factory (Acura, BMW, Audi, etc.). Those are typically around 4100-4300 kelvin and are very close to daylight white with slight yellow. The blueish tint starts to occur around 6000+ kelvin and actually puts out less usable light. Anything over 6500 I want to smash out with a hammer. It causes glare and blinds oncoming drivers, regardless of aim. :mad:

There are other threads about HIDs. Do your homework. They are illegal unless installed correctly.

HID color chart | Xenon colour chart

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm... I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if the info on the HID kit is posted elsewhere. Do you mind letting me know what kit you bought and from where? How did you decide which brand of kit to purchase?
I am in Ontario as well. I am just over 2000 km on my 3 week old GT, but the first item I want to improve is the night lighting.
My previous car had factory HID lighting... guess I am spoiled for it.
~Brad
I bought them from a friend locally here that supplies most of the shops. I bought my old set 6 years ago from him as we'll and never had a problem, plus I know where to go if I do.
Did you use 35w or 55w HID bulbs?
These are 35 watt, plenty of light, you're asking for trouble with 55 watt ones.

I think this was answered previously, not all HID's give off a blue tint, 4300 is the normal white, 3000 is the equivalent of a halogen. I used 5000, very strong white light, no blue.
Can you take a picture of them up against a wall? I'd like to see the cutoff.
I will do that one of these nights, but like I said, the cutoff did not change from the factory bulbs, same projector.
Not the ones installed at the factory (Acura, BMW, Audi, etc.). Those are typically around 4100-4300 kelvin and are very close to daylight white with slight yellow. The blueish tint starts to occur around 6000+ kelvin and actually puts out less usable light. Anything over 6500 I want to smash out with a hammer. It causes glare and blinds oncoming drivers, regardless of aim. :mad:

There are other threads about HIDs. Do your homework. They are illegal unless installed correctly.
:rolleyes:
These are installed correctly, inside a projector so the light is controlled and aimed properly, not put in a regular reflector housing that sends the light everywhere including oncoming drivers eyes! This setup is legal.

Thanks for all the kudos, hope this helps others decide, it really is quite simple.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ugh, do we really need to rehash the HID and headlight housing argument? His set-up is legal. If he had 10,000K or up (where it goes purple) then it's illegal. I've run 6000K for years and have never been stopped for them being too blue. Same with friends that have 8000K. 6000K is where my limit stops as the light output decreases. As mentioned before 4300K is optimal (as it still has a titch of yellow in it) but 5000K adds a nice classy touch. Good job, love love love it!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not the bulb, but the ballast. 55w is usually too bright for low beams.
You are correct sir, I should have clarified that it's the ballast that puts out the wattage to fire the bulbs. 35 watts is what you want for low beams.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts