Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I recently installed a DDM Tuning HID kit. Since then it's always been making a strange sound when I turn the HIDs on (but the lights are working fine).

The relay base is physically vibrating and making a strange sound, see the video below:
DDM Tuning HID Kit Relay Rattling - YouTube

What is the problem and how can I fix it? I'm not sure if this is safe or not! I did the install correctly.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think your relay is hooked up to the wrong terminal on the battery. Try moving it to the correct positive terminal, next to the positive post. Also might want to try some capacitorss if you havent yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the power harness, that's the piece that's making the noise (I already have one installed).
As for the battery terminal, I used the exact terminal according to the XenonSupply HID install video.
Any other ideas?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Is it ONLY when the headlights (low beam) are on or all the time? I am thinking DRL confusion...

The suggestions are wrong. It does not matter how you connect the battery as the relay is triggered by the headlight switch.
What you might need here is a capacitor (I do not know what exact setup you have there).
The relay sounds like it was powered by AC not DC. It is a common thing when you deal with "computer powered lights".

Tow solutions - either get rid of the harness and power the HID via headlight OEM harness or add capacitor (and maybe power resistor) before your relay.

It would be good to see the whole setup to know exactly what is happening. My suggestion is based on very limited knowledge of your installation.

If your HID is 55W than you can easily connect them directly (no battery powered), if 35W you could do it too, but you might need the capacitor.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Regarding the power harness, that's the piece that's making the noise (I already have one installed).
As for the battery terminal, I used the exact terminal according to the XenonSupply HID install video.
Any other ideas?

Is that one that is buzzing on your high beam by chance? (To make sure turn your high beams in and pull the relay out of the harness to see if they go off. If so, you cannot run the light stalk on your steering wheel in the "DRL' position or it will do that. The car sends less voltage to the high beams to give the low light DRL function and what is happening is it isn't enough to keep that relay open to allow the ballasts on the HIDs to fire and stay lit. Mine act like strobe lights when I do that.

If it is the one that is powering your lowbeams then you will need to add a capacitor to the harness. Find out which it is and I can add more info

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the suggestions.
My setup is as follows: 35W 6000K. My HID bulbs connect to the ballasts which connect to the relay, which goes to battery and ground.
I have it set up in my low beams, not my high beams. As soon as I turn the stalk off of low beam, the rattling immediately stops, so it is definitely related to my HID low beams.

It seems like a lot of people are suggesting the capacitor, which I ordered and is on the way.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There is 3 options you can fix.
1). Get new relay from radio shack around $8
2). Put capacitor 4700 uf 35W connect positive to pin85 and negative to pin 86
3). Put anti flickering between H1 connector & Hid harness

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh... So I'm connected to the bluish bolt (the very left-most bolt), which I believe is the same one they connect to in the tutorial video.
Could that be causing the rattling?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You connect to air condition terminal will have problem in future.
Buzzing sound from electrical impulse + poor relay.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Your Hid harness positive wire should connect direct to battery terminal see pic
Ohh... So I'm connected to the bluish bolt (the very left-most bolt), which I believe is the same one they connect to in the tutorial video.
Could that be causing the rattling?
I do not think that would make any difference. Now you are connected slightly before the battery terminal, as you got connected to the alternator input. I guess that is like getting ground off the battery or the chassis.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, so many mixed opinions. Hopefully my flicker capacitor is here soon so I can confirm whether that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I do not think that would make any difference. Now you are connected slightly before the battery terminal, as you got connected to the alternator input. I guess that is like getting ground off the battery or the chassis.
Buzzing sound has nothing to do with positive connector it just poor relay but improper positive connector will cost problem in future some member had bad burn on that connector.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I emailed DDM Tuning and this was their response:

"Is the relay only making this sound when the lights are int the Daytime Running Light mode? Does it go away when the lights are manually put to low beams?

If it does away when you are in low beams it's likely that you'll need a capacitor to prevent the relay from chattering due to DRL mode."

But my issue is the opposite - it buzzes in low beam mode when the HIDs are on and goes away in DRL mode when the HIDs are off. Does that mean an anti-flicker capacitor will not fix my problem?

·
Banned
998 Posts
man, test the relay.
did you measure voltage anywhere? do you get 12V on the relay?
how can I know the answer if I do not know the input?

pull it out, put a different one - it is only $5 or less.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to re-do a lot of wiring and also remove my headlight again to replace it.
That's a good last resort though. First I'll try the anti-flicker capacitor.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait wait wait..
So the relay is just the square portion of the whole harness? So getting a new relay means I don't need to replace the whole harness, just the black box?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts