Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know between 35watt 24volt and 55watt 12volt HID kits, which would be brighter? I have regular 35watt kits now but I want brighter so I just don't know which would be better choice to go with. Any input is appreciated!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (fdnj48 @ Dec 1 2010, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376173
Does anyone know between 35watt 24volt and 55watt 12volt HID kits, which would be brighter? I have regular 35watt kits now but I want brighter so I just don't know which would be better choice to go with. Any input is appreciated!! :thumbsup:
NA cars run on a 12 volt system. Not sure what a "35watt24volt" kit does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (fdnj48 @ Dec 1 2010, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376173

most cars run 12v HID system...and some aftermarket HIDs have 35w 12v, 55w 12v, 35w 24v options.... tha kind of 35w 24v HIDs are for big trucks..you'd better compare the difference among these HIDs classifications firstly : http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=33

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Dec 2 2010, 07:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376341
Agree with Smoke, check out the HID thread and read from beginning to end and you too will be the next HID guru! :)
I've read the post many times and have it nearly memorized...I still don't get it 100%, and I'm somewhat knowledgable when it comes to automobiles. :w00t:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Dec 2 2010, 08:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376351
I've read the post many times and have it nearly memorized...I still don't get it 100%, and I'm somewhat knowledgable when it comes to automobiles. :w00t:
Long story short you are considering the following for HID's

1) 35w versus 55w -- This is the intensity of the light. Think of it as a 35w bulb and 55w bulb. The burners are not classified by wattage, the ballasts are.
2) Slim or Standard -- This is just the physical size of the ballast.
3) K range (4300 - 12000) -- This is color of the light. 4300 is closest to natural sunlight and has the most usable light in regards to candles. The higher the K the more you go towards purple and you start eliminate useful light and candles.
4) CANBUS -- is a capacitor type option that helps with protecting the HID ballast and your cars electrical system. Some CANBUS options are built into the ballasts, others are "add ons" that go between the ballast and power source.
5) Wiring harness -- is the part that is usually extra and connects the HID directly to the battery for power versus using the OEM wires for the lights for power.

eBay stuff seems to be hit and miss at best. Some work, quite a few dont.

There are two distributors that are discussed here often. The two distributors require only a hole to be drilled in the dust cap to fit the burner wire. The OEM connector will have two spade connectors pushed into it that supplies power to the ballast. You will then need to put tape or silicone over this connection.

If you get a wiring harness, it will connect between the OEM light connector and the ballast using the OEM wires to act as a "switch". This uses the wiring harness for power directly from the battery and its cleaner and eliminates the possibility of flickering.

There are arguments about cost; whether CANBUS is necessary or not; whether a wiring harness is necessary or not and so forth. That is going to be matter of opinion mostly as I have seen examples of the bare minimum working and examples of the most safe installation not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts