Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

long story short, i'm torn (and also spoiled, i guess). the car i traded in to get my sonata (2015 sport) i had done an HID projector retrofit on and was in love. did one on another car of mine too, so going from that to halogen projectors is painful.

i want to do a retrofit again now with the sonata, but i'm struggling trying to find proper write-ups with pictures. a lot of, if not all, of the write-ups that are still around have expired pictures or are terribly written.

- through my research, however, i learned that stock HID setups are D3S. i've only ever done H1 retrofits.
- looking through TRS, i found the "ACME Standard D1S/D3S" projector in the closeout section for $30. would these work?
- also saw that the EVOX projectors are compatible with D1S/D2S/D3S bulbs. also a possibility.
- do all D-type HID projectors fit the same, like H1 projectors do? will i need a bracket, or would they drop/bolt in?
- i've seen shots of 9005 HIDs in the stock halogen projectors and while output isn't terrible and don't seem too offensive, but i want to do this all the right way.
- anybody that's done a HID projector retrofit with their LF, please post pics.

·
Registered
111 Posts
@teezythakidd
If you're doing a retrofit, it's better to spend a little more money on a better projector because you're already spending a lot of time for the retrofit. There are two custom brackets available that I could see, however, I think the prices are way too high for brackets. These are H-style projectors.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/components/retrofit-brackets/hyundai/sonata-fxr-bracket.html
https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/components/retrofit-brackets/hyundai/sonata-rx-350-bracket.html

·
Registered
274 Posts
You should also visit The Retrofit Source page. They have many different projectors etc. Definitely get a new projector with ZKW ord ZKW-R lens for best lens clarity and it will also help with sharper cut out.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I guess my primary focus for this thread is understanding the physiology of our headlight assemblies. I'm good with brands and types of projectors and such, I just have no clue as to what fits our cars, and the lack of "live" guides that are around doesnt help. Also, brackets?!?! Totally different world for me lol so it feels like I'm starting over completely.

I've done a retro with my old Honda Civic and generic Mini H1s that turned out better than my Morimoto Mini H1 retro lol, so I'm not too worried about picking a "really good projector" because I've learned my brands through experience. I've used TRS plenty of times for parts. I did my Morimoto Mini H1 retro with projector parts from them. Used a different brand HID kit though to save money... and NOT Kensun. I used Innovited.

So with the FXR bracket, will that only work with FXR projectors? On Lightwerkz, $240 isn't terrible considering how much of an difference it'd have on vision at night. But if that bracket can work for other projectors, that'd be sweet.
Another question, is an H1 retrofit not a thing or will I have to go with D3S?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The bracket is just a way to mount the corresponding aftermarket HID projectors to the stock headlight housing. So you can only use the projector the bracket is made for since all the holes will line up correctly. The bracket saves you time so you don't have to make your own mount and adjusting.

Contact the seller because it doesn't say which generation Sonata. It could be for the last generation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bracket is just a way to mount the corresponding aftermarket HID projectors to the stock headlight housing. So you can only use the projector the bracket is made for since all the holes will line up correctly. The bracket saves you time so you don't have to make your own mount and adjusting.

Contact the seller because it doesn't say which generation Sonata. It could be for the last generation.

Got it. Thanks.

So for our cars we need brackets regardless of the projector, and for the respective projector. Ok. I think the FXR would be a good idea since they're the cheapest I've seen. RX350 are pricey! I'll keep looking around though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah the stock headlight assembly for the Sonata doesn't allow you to selectively remove only the projector... You would have to get someone to make a custom mounting bracket for you or buy a preexisting one. Or... you could buy a custom headlight assembly (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlights...158638?hash=item1c8e1a166e:g:KFEAAOSw9LJZjZ7d) and swap out the projectors in that assembly for one of your choice. I can't speak for the quality of these custom headlights since I haven't used them. There are some YouTube videos featuring these headlights though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got it. Thanks.

So for our cars we need brackets regardless of the projector, and for the respective projector. Ok. I think the FXR would be a good idea since they're the cheapest I've seen. RX350 are pricey! I'll keep looking around though.
I looked at the details and the FXR bracket is for the last generation, the RX bracket is for the 2015+ Sonata.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@teezythakidd did you find out more information about it? I am on the same page as you trying to do a retrofit for my factory HID sonata which use D3S bulb. I pretty much ready to install I just waiting for LED strips that I will use on the eyeline of the headlight and I will be using the G5-BRT or EX projector to replace the factory one, I haven't make a decision yet of which one use.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@teezythakidd did you find out more information about it? I am on the same page as you trying to do a retrofit for my factory HID sonata which use D3S bulb. I pretty much ready to install I just waiting for LED strips that I will use on the eyeline of the headlight and I will be using the G5-BRT or EX projector to replace the factory one, I haven't make a decision yet of which one use.
I haven’t :( completely forgot about it. And my car got totaled by a technicality due to my beloved state back in August ‘19 so that project is permanently benched, unfortunately.

Good luck on yours though!

·
Registered
26 Posts
well I believed that I finish for now this project.

here what I did:

I replaced the factory HID projector with G5-BRT from lightwerkz that way I can keep the factory D3S system, I was planning do DRL on the white part of the headlight but I changed my mind because I didn't like how you can see the LED strip on it, i will figure out something else later for the DRL.

so, I bought a spare of damage headlight from eBay to the first one was in December 2018 and I gave up because lack of information, but now with this situation of covid-19 I have a lot of time free that I can spent on messing with it, so I started figuring thing out a finally did it. I took one projector out and sacrificed it to make the mounting bracket for the new projector.

check out this pictures tonight I will post wall shot etc, I still need to alignment a little better but just finished today.

the G5-BRT mounted on the old one skeleton.

Factory HID projector

G5 Projector

side by side

Mounting point

is not 25 feet but you can see, need correction I will do it later.

DRL didn't like on the picture look aweson but no.

Don't pay attention to my dirtiest car being raining lately, projector mounted inside the headlight.

·
Registered
498 Posts
well I believed that I finish for now this project.

here what I did:

I replaced the factory HID projector with G5-BRT from lightwerkz that way I can keep the factory D3S system, I was planning do DRL on the white part of the headlight but I changed my mind because I didn't like how you can see the LED strip on it, i will figure out something else later for the DRL.

so, I bought a spare of damage headlight from eBay to the first one was in December 2018 and I gave up because lack of information, but now with this situation of covid-19 I have a lot of time free that I can spent on messing with it, so I started figuring thing out a finally did it. I took one projector out and sacrificed it to make the mounting bracket for the new projector.

check out this pictures tonight I will post wall shot etc, I still need to alignment a little better but just finished today.

the G5-BRT mounted on the old one skeleton.

Factory HID projector

G5 Projector

side by side

Mounting point

is not 25 feet but you can see, need correction I will do it later.

DRL didn't like on the picture look aweson but no.

Don't pay attention to my dirtiest car being raining lately, projector mounted inside the headlight.
Wow, nice job! Sure seems like a much better beam pattern and cutoff. Not sure I’m willing to put that much effort into mine though...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, nice job! Sure seems like a much better beam pattern and cutoff. Not sure I’m willing to put that much effort into mine though...
Thank you, I have a few more pic. Tt's can be done, it will take time and a lot of patience but worth it, in person look better. one thing I can tell you rotate the projector on the car, I did and was stright in my work bench but waaaay off on the car I learn that on the hard way.

Wall Architecture Building Room Concrete Road Highway Light Mode of transport Night Night Light Automotive lighting Asphalt Lighting Night Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Asphalt

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thank you, I have a few more pic. Tt's can be done, it will take time and a lot of patience but worth it, in person look better. one thing I can tell you rotate the projector on the car, I did and was stright in my work bench but waaaay off on the car I learn that on the hard way.

View attachment 446607 View attachment 446608 View attachment 446609 View attachment 446610
With those pics you’re convincing me to do mine even more lol. I’ll probably start by putting in some better bulbs (Philips XV2), mine seem to be getting yellower, and if that doesn’t work I’ll go the complete retrofit route. What did you use to cut up the OEM projector to install the new one? Did you have to drill any holes or you were able to use the OEM projector rivet / mounting holes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
With those pics you’re convincing me to do mine even more lol. I’ll probably start by putting in some better bulbs (Philips XV2), mine seem to be getting yellower, and if that doesn’t work I’ll go the complete retrofit route. What did you use to cut up the OEM projector to install the new one? Did you have to drill any holes or you were able to use the OEM projector rivet / mounting holes?
I used a rotary tool (Dremel) with a metal cutting wheel and go around the outside housing making space for the new one, I was able to use the old projector mechanism, so up and down, left and right working as should. here a few pictures of the process.

Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Handcuffs
you cut the old projector like this and below where I drill the holes to mount the new projector.

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive fog light

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Photography Lens

·
Registered
498 Posts
I used a rotary tool (Dremel) with a metal cutting wheel and go around the outside housing making space for the new one, I was able to use the old projector mechanism, so up and down, left and right working as should. here a few pictures of the process.

View attachment 446620
you cut the old projector like this and below where I drill the holes to mount the new projector.

View attachment 446621

View attachment 446622
Thanks for the information, I’ll definitely be keeping notes of this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts