Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have been reading around this forum and was able to find very helpful information and answers to my questions and concerns about certain mods and such.
However upon searching and searching and not being able to find a direct answer I am making this thread in the hopes that some of the fellow Elantra owners with more experience and expertise can help me out.

I am interested in upgrading my headlights with an HID kit and I know that many people have already done so but I have read split opinions on doing the upgrade on the regular reflective halogen housing. I know xenonsupply has a very nice kit that people are happy with but does it blind oncoming traffic? (I see many cars like this on the road and it's really annoying and I don't want to become one of those people)

I know that proper HID kits work best when fitted into projectors eliminating the problem of blinding oncoming traffic. Many people have suggested and proceeded to buy the Avante MD projectors and fix the wiring for safe and normal use in their Elantras (or Shark Racing projectors) with best results. However I found this to be the pricier route ranging from $600-$1000, which is too much for me to shell out.

I do a lot of night driving so I really want to upgrade my headlights for more light output at night so the other alternatives were the aftermarket vendors on ebay and other sites. I've seem many mixed reviews on different aftermarket projectors and I would like to ask those elantra owners who run aftermarket set-ups to give me an opinion on how satisfied they are with them and if the cut-off line is sharp and clean AND if they have upgraded the halogen bulbs that come with many of these set-ups with HID kits.

Thank You!

P.S. Has anyone bought aftermarket parts/ headlights from this website?
Accessories for the Hyundai Elantra MD 2011 2012 2013 2014

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There are plenty of projector setups on ebay that are less than $300, can always pick up a set of those and add your own HID kit. Few people here have already done it and it looks good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm planning to do but it seems that a lot of them have low quality projectors and they do not provide a clean/crisp cutoff line. So I'm interested in which vendors and setups provide the best projector setups for the money (I'll add the HID kit on my own after).

I've seen these (2011 + Elantra MD LED CCFL Projector Euro Style Headlights 2 pc - Korean Auto Imports) advertised with the same pictures but very different prices depending on the site and seller(whether it was ebay, korean auto imports, exled) so I would like guidance in choosing the right setup

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've run HID setup in stock housings, Projectors with halogens, and projectors with HID in my Elantra.

As long as you buy a 35w HID kit, you should be fine without blinding anyone with the stock housings. The ones that normally "blind" you on the roads are people with 55w kits, or trucks that are directly at your eyeline.

HID bulbs in stock reflecting housings was good. A good visible improvement over stock in my opinion.

When I first purchased my projector housings, they came with halogen bulbs. The cutoff with the halogens was super crisp and straight. Light output was very good and concentrated.

I've upgraded my projector housings now to use HID. Cutoff is still good, but not as superbly defined as the halogen bulbs were. (I guess this comes with an aftermarket HID setup). Light output with the HID in the projectors is good and very crisp. The look is amazing.

I used the kit from xenonsupply as my base model for what to order and parted it all out individually on ebay for much cheaper than the price of the whole kit.

I have the Eagle Eyes projectors for 2011+ Elantra in black.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for answering my questions and concerns about the HIDs in the reflective housing. I do think I will go the projector route as they look better IMO. Has anyone bought the aftermarket headlights from this particular seller? (elantra from sabersport | eBay)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Don't know if you found these threads but if you want top of the line parts read these:

Louiceman knows what he's talking about:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/157616-custom-headlight.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/129055-korean-spec-head-lights-3.html#post950402
That reflect from devil eyes now available in blue with auto turn on and off make easy to install

Got my retrofits off of Lou, amazing beam/cutoff. BiXenon too.
Thanks guys I alway busy working on custom headlights one pair member here
I will post some pic later

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you once drive OEM HIDs you will never ever go back to any other aftermarket HIDs stuff, not saying crappy HID kits for $20 off ebay:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I could find OEM HIDs for cheaper that would be my first option but I currently do not want to drop $800+ on headlights alone :)
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the difference between Pair Black CCFL Halo Projector Headlights w LED Parking for 2011 2013 Elantra | eBay and 2011 + Elantra MD LED CCFL Projector Euro Style Headlights 2 pc - Korean Auto Imports are?
The pictures in the descriptions show pretty much the same product yet the one on korean auto imports is $100+ pricier than the one sold on ebay... is the quality of the products that different?

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I could find OEM HIDs for cheaper that would be my first option but I currently do not want to drop $800+ on headlights alone :)
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the difference between Pair Black CCFL Halo Projector Headlights w LED Parking for 2011 2013 Elantra | eBay and 2011 + Elantra MD LED CCFL Projector Euro Style Headlights 2 pc - Korean Auto Imports are?
The pictures in the descriptions show pretty much the same product yet the one on korean auto imports is $100+ pricier than the one sold on ebay... is the quality of the products that different?
These two "appears" to be very similar, but I suspect the quality may be different. The pricier one looks pretty nice and I suspect may be much closer in quality to the OE unit.

AM projectors should be in the $300-500 price range and you will get decent quality out of these. Add in high quality HID kits (Morimoto, XenonSupply, etc) and you should be good to go. Some of us are running such setups on our E, as others have pointed out here. I bought this unit Fit 11 13 Elantra LED Tube Halo Black Projector Headlights w Corner Daytime Lamp | eBay, and below are a few pics to show how these look on the E...

DRLs only (night shot)

With cutoff line

DRLs + HIDs (daylight shot)

Hope these helps you in your decision making....

·
22,793 Posts
If I was going to mod the headlights, I'd opt for the ones that do not have the amber lens, preferring the totally clean look of the clear ones using an amber bulb, even if it isn't DOT compliant. The Korean Avante, I believe, uses this style. I like the look that the all-clear lens offers. Nothing really wrong with the amber reflector incorporated on our U.S. models. The other one just looks (to me) "less busy," if that makes sense.

I need to ask around and see if someone I know has a relative stationed in Korea and could get me a pair of those, cheap! Bring them back home on their military transport. LOL

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Guys, especially Lou, I am planing to install these OEM HID headlights from korea, everything is done so far, but wondering should you put capacitors just before connection to the stock elantra`s plug and do I really need them for OEM HID`s?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I was going to mod the headlights, I'd opt for the ones that do not have the amber lens, preferring the totally clean look of the clear ones using an amber bulb, even if it isn't DOT compliant. The Korean Avante, I believe, uses this style. I like the look that the all-clear lens offers. Nothing really wrong with the amber reflector incorporated on our U.S. models. The other one just looks (to me) "less busy," if that makes sense.

I need to ask around and see if someone I know has a relative stationed in Korea and could get me a pair of those, cheap! Bring them back home on their military transport. LOL
Speaking of the clear-lens, is there any way we can remove the amber reflector from the NA models? I think Lou had a picture once where he removed it. Is it as simple as baking open the headlights, removing the orange reflector and then putting it back together? What is under the orange reflector?

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you do remove the amber reflector, but still want to keep it legal, they do make some bulbs that are a constant white LED, and when you activate the blinker they turn amber. I forget what they're called now...

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you do remove the amber reflector, but still want to keep it legal, they do make some bulbs that are a constant white LED, and when you activate the blinker they turn amber. I forget what they're called now...
Switchbacks. And there is a white piece behind the amber reflector, I've taking out the amber piece and painted it. I wish they sold just the clear replacement piece

·
Registered
41 Posts
Switchbacks. And there is a white piece behind the amber reflector, I've taking out the amber piece and painted it. I wish they sold just the clear replacement piece
Petie1881, your car looks sick! Love the reflectors painted black. How did you do it? Sand it and then spray paint black? I have switchbacks currently but with the default amber reflectors and I hate how it looks. I want to either get clear lenses (seems hard to find) or paint it black like yours. I'm guessing you have switchbacks and no problems to report when signaling?

Couldn't I just take out both the amber piece and the white piece behind it though?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Petie1881, your car looks sick! Love the reflectors painted black. How did you do it? Sand it and then spray paint black? I have switchbacks currently but with the default amber reflectors and I hate how it looks. I want to either get clear lenses (seems hard to find) or paint it black like yours. I'm guessing you have switchbacks and no problems to report when signaling?

Couldn't I just take out both the amber piece and the white piece behind it though?

Headlight mod complete!

Here is what it looked like when I first finished, but I am currently working on a new set of lights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts