Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully installed or can recommend a decent HID kit or LED bulbs that work well and can be installed while retaining the OEM dust covers for the headlights?

I'm not opposed to after market dust covers, and I've seen some on Amazon. Going without dust covers (OEM or otherwise) does not seem like a very smart thing to do as the headlights are very open and I can see dirt and dust as well as moisture getting in there.

LED bulbs would be preferred, but the drivers side has very little clearance due to the fuse box sitting right behind.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. :wink:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
i have simdevanma h11 in our cars, and they have a fan on the back for cooling. i had to modify the dust covers, but it was really easy. i bought these very flexible dust covers off ebay, they look like a miniature top hat. slight taper, base to top. i then had to "eyeball" and cut out a circular hole in each dust cover. i used a dremel with a carbide cutting bit, was real easy. actually, too easy. one slight slip, and you gotta strange looking hole. after making sure the hole is in the right place, i used silicon seal to cement in the flexible ebay cover, let it set, then trimmed off the excess. it just clears the battery. the outer part of the dust cover is still there, and they are way strong enough to take on and off. actually, i cant even tell i cut out some of it. i pulled each headlight assembly, much easier to work on. i was skeptical about the led bulbs, but they were on sale at amazon, and amazon has a really easy return policy, so i got a pair. after installing the first bulb, i knew it would not clear the dust cover, and i was gonna send them back. but i wanted to see if they were any good, so i waited till night, and went out for a drive. the results were amazing. there are a lot of roads out here without lighting, and wow, i could see everything. lots of the homes have reflective markers on the mailboxes, and driveway entrances, and they lit up nice and bright. some of the roads have the reflective center dots, and they were bright and gorgeous at night. with the fluting, the right side of the streets really lit up. i knew i had to have these bulbs, and so i planned the modifications. i had a couple of different dust covers come in, because i wasnt sure what, if any, would work. the ones i got were almost perfect. some of the comments on the amazon site have owners comparing with hid, and they say the led's are better. also, the led will outlast hid bulbs, and they draw a lot less current. one caveat, the high/drl takes a h7 on our cars, and i could not get the bulb to fit. the h11 is a twist lock, the h7 is held in by a wire clip. because of the fan on the back, there is no way the clip will clear the fan housing, and i really tried.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i have simdevanma h11 in our cars, and they have a fan on the back for cooling. i had to modify the dust covers, but it was really easy. i bought these very flexible dust covers off ebay, they look like a miniature top hat. slight taper, base to top. i then had to "eyeball" and cut out a circular hole in each dust cover. i used a dremel with a carbide cutting bit, was real easy. actually, too easy. one slight slip, and you gotta strange looking hole. after making sure the hole is in the right place, i used silicon seal to cement in the flexible ebay cover, let it set, then trimmed off the excess. it just clears the battery. the outer part of the dust cover is still there, and they are way strong enough to take on and off. actually, i cant even tell i cut out some of it. i pulled each headlight assembly, much easier to work on. i was skeptical about the led bulbs, but they were on sale at amazon, and amazon has a really easy return policy, so i got a pair. after installing the first bulb, i knew it would not clear the dust cover, and i was gonna send them back. but i wanted to see if they were any good, so i waited till night, and went out for a drive. the results were amazing. there are a lot of roads out here without lighting, and wow, i could see everything. lots of the homes have reflective markers on the mailboxes, and driveway entrances, and they lit up nice and bright. some of the roads have the reflective center dots, and they were bright and gorgeous at night. with the fluting, the right side of the streets really lit up. i knew i had to have these bulbs, and so i planned the modifications. i had a couple of different dust covers come in, because i wasnt sure what, if any, would work. the ones i got were almost perfect. some of the comments on the amazon site have owners comparing with hid, and they say the led's are better. also, the led will outlast hid bulbs, and they draw a lot less current. one caveat, the high/drl takes a h7 on our cars, and i could not get the bulb to fit. the h11 is a twist lock, the h7 is held in by a wire clip. because of the fan on the back, there is no way the clip will clear the fan housing, and i really tried.
I purchased these:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075J9S4DT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Does your 2016 have room behind the drivers side opening and the fuse box? I literately have like 3/4".

If I can't find a work-around, I will be returning these bulbs. They work great (from what I can tell on the passenger side.

For the high beams, I saw a YouTube video where the heat sink/ fan unscrewed -this type if the were a good bulb would possibly make the high beams doable if the clip could be installed to secure the bulb before screwing on the heat sink.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
i dont think there is any difference 2014 and 2016. there is very little clearance. the modified cover does just barely touch the fusebox. if you look, there is a bracket with a 6mm nut(10mm wrench size) and the very outer edge of the cover touches that. otherwise, there is about 3mm gap. however, the cover is very flexible, and it is not deformed at all. the main problem with the hi beams is that on our car, they are also drl. so when in drl mode, they get less voltage. most of the led drl bulbs work on drl, but when the regular voltage is applied, they are not as bright as the stock halogens

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Been running "coverless" going on 3 years and headlights still look like new. As long as the bulb is sealed against the housing, your good IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have installed Car Rover ac 55w h11 6000 on my 15 E. The installation was so simple with minor hiccups (taking the headlight on the side with the air filter). I did have to make a small incision on the dust cover to get the light bulb in though. I am at one year with 30k clicks (or 18k miles) and there are no issues with the headlights or condensation in the ccasings.

Also, our 15 E seems to be the reflective type which means HID will disperse and kill the eyes of the oncoming traffic. However, our headlights seem to have anti-glare cap which prevents the problem. I have had no issues with other cars so far though. I did, however, notice a number of sedans moving out of my way in the front.

You can really either go HID or LED but I chose HID because I was just so sick of yellow halogens. The car shines so beautifully at night now.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had tried several HID and LED lights. Practically, I recommend using LED for DRL and non-projector headlight. LED are different from brand to brand so it depends on what price range that you look for.

HID is the best for projector light. 35W can give a good amount of lumen down the road. Looking for something over $60, cheaper won't work well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone successfully installed or can recommend a decent HID kit or LED bulbs that work well and can be installed while retaining the OEM dust covers for the headlights?

I'm not opposed to after market dust covers, and I've seen some on Amazon. Going without dust covers (OEM or otherwise) does not seem like a very smart thing to do as the headlights are very open and I can see dirt and dust as well as moisture getting in there.

LED bulbs would be preferred, but the drivers side has very little clearance due to the fuse box sitting right behind.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. :wink:
I would at least give a look at one of the forum vendors - Diode Dynamics:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/by-vehicle.html?no_cache=1&find=2014-hyundai-elantra-112062

Very well engineered, fits inside the dust cover, plug and play, 3 year warranty. Free shipping - just PM them for a code.

Headlight SL1:

"Fitment. With its patent-pending design, the SL1 LED fits where other bulbs won't, without cutting or modification. There's no hanging metal straps, just a compact bulb that plugs right in, with a nylon-reinforced shroud. Only slightly larger than a standard halogen bulb, it fits behind dust caps and in tight spaces. The base sizes are keyed for exact applications, not one-size-fits-all, and the compact driver easily tucks away."

Just a thought...
KindOldMan

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
them's^^^ kinda pricey. the bulbs i got were like 36/pair. and i didnt mind modifying the covers. actually, i now look for stuff to do on the cars. i am forgetting which drawer has what tools because i hardly get to work on the cars now. i would like to find a bulb that fits the drl/hi beam. the problem with them is that most led are not able to light up with less voltage, and if they do, they are full bright. then, on actual hi beam, they dont give out more light. i want the full effect, dim on drl, bright when needed. the ones i have found that do, will not fit, because of the heatsink housings on the back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thread has taken a slight detour. :laugh:

I am referring to the low beams on the car, which are 9005 bulbs. I see good discussion about the H11's and DRL, but since I rarely use high beams, my focus is on the low beams.

I tried some oEdRo 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs but because of the fitment issues, returned them. I also have read that there is a bulb available at the same price point that is significantly better, although I will admit, if it wasn't for the inability to use the dust covers I may have kept them.

Someone above stated they were fine without the dust covers. I can't take that chance - from what I can see, its a clear shot to the inside of the headlamp, and I can actully see the clear housing and electrical circuits within:

This shows the amount of space that I have:

And this is why the bulbs don't fit: I need a minimum of 35mm to have these fit inside the hosing. I will need to look into the aftermarket rubber dust caps mentioned above.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In case anyone is interested in the bulbs I had, here is how they looked and performed: (LED installed on the passenger side for comparison to stock)

oEdRo 9005 LED Headlight Bulb

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
yah, our cars no hava projectors. plain halogens. you need to go down a street with no streetlights, and a lot of reflective markers on mailboxes, driveways, and those lane markers on the hiway. the stock projectors are better than plain halogens, but the led's i think are better than the hid's. also, once you get the led bulbs in, they will probably outlive the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yah, our cars no hava projectors. plain halogens. you need to go down a street with no streetlights, and a lot of reflective markers on mailboxes, driveways, and those lane markers on the hiway. the stock projectors are better than plain halogens, but the led's i think are better than the hid's. also, once you get the led bulbs in, they will probably outlive the car.
So if I interpret what you said, you are basically saying that projectors are better than reflectors in the Elantra, and that LEDs lights are better than HID. So a projector with LED's is the best of both worlds....

Right?:nerd:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
So if I interpret what you said, you are basically saying that projectors are better than reflectors in the Elantra, and that LEDs lights are better than HID. So a projector with LED's is the best of both worlds....

Right?:nerd:
i would say so.
i like projectors because of the light beam. kinda more concentrated. i like led because lower voltage, more light, and extremely long life, and instant on. hid's are nice if they came on the car. but when they fail, it can be expensive. i worked bmw parts for a while, and everyone that came in for a new bulb about fainted when we told them that not only the bulb, but the ignitor, and the ballast would have to be replaced. about 1200. most would then ask if the lamps could be converted back to halogen. aftermarket hid usually means internal lamp conversion, wire harness, relays, ballast resistor, maybe ignitor. led is instantly reversible. and several posters i have seen say that the led is superior to what hid's they have owned, i have not yet seen any posts that say hid is better. hid bulbs used to be like 400 bucks. that alone would turn me away

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Someone above stated they were fine without the dust covers. I can't take that chance - from what I can see, its a clear shot to the inside of the headlamp, and I can actully see the clear housing and electrical circuits within:

The reflector base along with the projector are sealed to the lens. What you are seeing is the dead space around the backside of the assembly. As you can see, no dirt is in the reflector or projector area. But do what you feel comfortable with.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reflector base along with the projector are sealed to the lens. What you are seeing is the dead space around the backside of the assembly. As you can see, no dirt is in the reflector or projector area. But do what you feel comfortable with.
I meant no disrespect. Sorry if I offended you. I'm new to Hyundai, and when I looked in my head light, it seemed that I could see the light from the outside thru the opening in the back. My previous experience with Toyota is that water and dust will get in. Once in I don't have to tell you that it's darn near impossible to get out. I wasn't so much worried about getting stuff into the projectors, but rather into the inside of the housing in general, similar to getting water in the lense. Your lights look great, I assume you drive without dust caps thru rain and winter weather, and the are that well sealed up? I may need to take the light out to get a better view.

What bulbs do you have? The cutoff looks sharp.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I meant no disrespect. Sorry if I offended you. I'm new to Hyundai, and when I looked in my head light, it seemed that I could see the light from the outside thru the opening in the back. My previous experience with Toyota is that water and dust will get in. Once in I don't have to tell you that it's darn near impossible to get out. I wasn't so much worried about getting stuff into the projectors, but rather into the inside of the housing in general, similar to getting water in the lense. Your lights look great, I assume you drive without dust caps thru rain and winter weather, and the are that well sealed up? I may need to take the light out to get a better view.

What bulbs do you have? The cutoff looks sharp.

I wasn't offended, just trying to shed more input for you. I looked for a long time and was one of the first here that got good results with LED's. Yes, I drive it in everything, but it's never been in snow. We don't get it often here and when it does, I work from home. I lived in the rockies and the "people" in GA can't drive in the snow....lol

Now if your lens isn't sealed good, you will have issues, but that can be with or without dust caps. Many here have complained about water inside headlights, and they are factory and many brand new.

I have a set of the braided heatsink style in the hi, lows, and fogs. All were installed about 3 years ago. Here is a sample of what I put in. All mine are rated at 2500LM each and 6000 kelvin in color.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
measure the diameter of the protruding plastic ring where the dust cover was in picture #1. Then get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QNQSQJ

or this:

That has a slightly smaller diameter and you will have to "stretch" it over the plastic ring for a tight fit. Then, you can fit the LED heatsink and fan inside or if you get the first one, cut a hole in the center for it to protrude through.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
measure the diameter of the protruding plastic ring where the dust cover was in picture #1. Then get something like this:

or this:

That has a slightly smaller diameter and you will have to "stretch" it over the plastic ring for a tight fit. Then, you can fit the LED heatsink and fan inside or if you get the first one, cut a hole in the center for it to protrude through.
I did actually measure the opening. Well the diameter of the dust cap that goes into the opening. It's right at 89mm.

But not until your link above did I realize I could stretch a dust cover over the opening (potentially) rather than find something to go into the opening like the OEM ones. This would simplify things. Thanks!

I'm toying with the idea of buying OEM dust caps, drilling out the centers and adding a rubber boot or sleeve to them to give me the room I need. If i go with a fan version LED then I will need to incorporate a seal to be sure they are as air tight around the LED as possible.

Yeah, it overkill but I like this type of fabrication. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of buying OEM dust caps, drilling out the centers and adding a rubber boot or sleeve to them to give me the room I need. If i go with a fan version LED then I will need to incorporate a seal to be sure they are as air tight around the LED as possible.

Yeah, it overkill but I like this type of fabrication. :grin2:
that is what i did, except i used the covers that are on the lamps. i used my dremel to cut out a hole so the back of the fan housing cleared the covers. then i bought a set of flexible covers of ebay, used silicon seal to glue them in, and trimmed off the excess. air tight. they looked a lot like these:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Housing-Dustcover-Headlight-Conversion-Retrofit/dp/B071145ZPB/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1525813267&sr=8-22&keywords=headlight+dust+cover[/ame]
the hole in the cover is NOT centered. you gotta eyeball it, then cut a hole, then eyeball it again. the flexible cover will bend to the shape of the hole. the hole is not as big as the cover, i would say about a third. there is plenty of the cover left to put back on the assembly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.