Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to pick up a set of hids tomorrow and hopefully installing them.. is it necessary to pick up the relay ? or can i do without?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You need the relay harness. It is really not an option. Many have spent about $700. trying to save $15. The YF needs it, many other cars may not. I'm glad to see you asking on this forum.

·
Registered
689 Posts
its such a cheap insurance, why not!

·
Registered
223 Posts
for those with hids.. how is the cutoff? i saw a sonata behind me with HIDs and there was so much glare. Do you guys aim the beam slightly downwards?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
for those with hids.. how is the cutoff? i saw a sonata behind me with HIDs and there was so much glare. Do you guys aim the beam slightly downwards?
I had to turn my headlights up however some people said they didnt have to. My cutoff is right at the trunk lid of the car in front of me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
13SonataScott,

What is the reason for needing the Relay Harness?
HID ballasts require a lot of power. The OEM wiring wouldn't be able to properly handle the electric current through its thin gauge wires and the BCM wouldn't be able to properly handle the additional current either. You'll have a recipe for a failed BCM or burn out your OEM wiring that may even cause a fire.

HID relays draw power directly from your car battery bypassing your car's electronics and OEM wiring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone else with HID lamps find that sometimes stereo reboots for a second after turning them on?

It doesn't happen every time.....and it's not really a problem - the system comes back.
I assume it's because of the inrush of current during the lamp start up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
HID ballasts require a lot of power. The OEM wiring wouldn't be able to properly handle the electric current through its thin gauge wires and the BCM wouldn't be able to properly handle the additional current either. You'll have a recipe for a failed BCM or burn out your OEM wiring that may even cause a fire.

HID relays draw power directly from your car battery bypassing your car's electronics and OEM wiring.
Trixstar,

Thank you very much for the information!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Does anyone else with HID lamps find that sometimes stereo reboots for a second after turning them on?

It doesn't happen every time.....and it's not really a problem - the system comes back.
I assume it's because of the inrush of current during the lamp start up.
Do you have a relay harness or no?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts