Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here. I'm looking to install HID's in my 2013 SE. I want a 6000K kit in the low beams and red Cree LED's in the fog lights. I want her to look mean at night. My question is, what company and kits does everyone recommend? I almost pulled the trigger on DDMTuning but stopped. Then I almost got HIDextra and stopped. I know I need the harness as well, I'm just so confused. I don't need them to last 5+ years as the car is going back in about a year or so. I'm also not looking to spend $100+ on it to have it only a year. I'm scared of the DDM kits which is why I didn't order them. Any advice? Anyone have DDM?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally I was in the same boat bought a VVM kit but decided on not installing it.
They all seem the same, same connectors etc so I doubt there's much difference in what part of China they are from.
I went with my stock halogens, at least I know they are going to work to many issues here I read with hid kits.
Some not working on one side, flickering, sticking relays causing battery drain etc.
No Thx.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I was in the same boat bought a VVM kit but decided on not installing it.
They all seem the same, same connectors etc so I doubt there's much difference in what part of China they are from.
I went with my stock halogens, at least I know they are going to work to many issues here I read with hid kits.
Some not working on one side, flickering, sticking relays causing battery drain etc.
No Thx.
I hear that. I'm not too worried about them blowing out and whatnot since they are cheap and they have the warranty even though their C.S. is horrendous. I'm just worried about messing anything up even with the relay harness. I bought HID's for my old car but never installed them. Just being paranoid?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have always used DDM in all of my other vehicles but I figured for this one that I would use Xenon Supply and do it right since it's the most recommended HIDs on this forum. Some may say that they're overpriced but if you have experience and know how to make everything look stock, you'll be fine and I also have not had any issues since I installed them in July.

Also, if you put red LEDs in the front of your car you are absolutely going to get pulled over quick ... 2 cents

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I'be install three different HID kits all from www.vvme.com/ If you have good wiring and connections they work great. Some of the newer cars have computer sensed lighting and this needs to be dealt with. But the flickering, dimming or going out is usually just a wiring problem.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If you wire it correctly, ground it correctly with a good harness you should be fine. I have had zero issues with my set and they have been in stalled for three years plus.

I am always apt to purchase my products from companies that have installation manuals and so forth on their websites. People complain that you should not have to pay more than $50 for a set and then come back a few months later with issues. I also recommend looking at XenonSupply and the RetroFit Source. If you are looking for bargain basement cheap stuff then I don't recommend the two above.

And don't cheap out on your harness.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
DDM Tuning was my go-to for HID stuff. Used them for my Fusion and my ex-gf's NF Sonata. However, their CS has gone to absolute **** and they want you jump through hoops for a warranty claim.

Went with XenonSupply...couldn't be happier. Much better made product and instructional videos specifically for the YF Sonata on their website. While most us probably won't need the video, this is the type of attention to detail that proves they are a reputable place that gives a rip about their customers.

Makes the price premium over the competition worth it.

Just my $.02.

BTW I have 38K on my XS kit and no issues. Not...a...single...one.

The Red Sled is still a beautiful, blue-eyed Korean girl.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've not been so lucky with Xenon Supply. I will say they have AMAZING customer support though. Mine have been replaced over the past 2 years (40k miles) 3 times.
Replaced bulbs because of "shadows"
Replaced the relay part that comes directly from the positive battery
Replaced the bulbs a second time for going too dim at night

The Retrofit Source Inc
Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've not been so lucky with Xenon Supply. I will say they have AMAZING customer support though. Mine have been replaced over the past 2 years (40k miles) 3 times.
Replaced bulbs because of "shadows"
Replaced the relay part that comes directly from the positive battery
Replaced the bulbs a second time for going too dim at night

The Retrofit Source Inc
Might be worth looking into.
Also have had some problems with XS. They do have great customer service and have no problem giving you a replacement. But my fogs have gone out a couple of times and I had to replace almost everything. I'd still go with XS just because of their CS

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the 6000k In my lows and fogs. All came from Diode Dynamics, great price and even better customer service. I ordered the 4300k kit for my wife's envoy and I think I like the 4300k better. May switch it up in future on the sonata.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just bought the Xentec 6000k conversion from Ebay for $40 with shipping. I will be installing next weekend. Most of it is all cheap crap made in China anyway, I figured I would gamble on a cheap set of HID's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
for the cheap kits, would anything work or are there certain ones that are canbus friendly?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, here's the thing. She's going back in less than a year. My lease is 3 years and it'll be 2 years I've had her in June. Then by November or December she'll be going back. I know doing it right the first time is the way to go, but spending $300 on HID's on a car that I'm returning soon'ish doesn't seem feasible. I thought about dipping her completely but then realized that I'll be giving her back soon so I'm not going to bother spending the money on the gallons of dip. I do want HID's but I don't want to spend that much on them. However, doing them the right way the first time makes all the difference. I just don't want anything to go wrong with her. I'm in a pickle here! lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the repost, but I think I'm going to go with Dynamic Diodes kit. Screw it. lol

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
i installed my DDM kits (low beam and fogs) with the relay harness on both kits and had no issues and they both worked on the first try.

a lot of people "knock" on DDM because they are cheap HID kits, yes, from china but guess what, they have the same results as any other kits have! only reason other places are more expensive is because they use different manufacturers to make the bulbs, ballasts, wiring, etc.

this is all coming from me and i'm sure others may oppose what i say so this is just my opinion. but i am happy with what i paid for and you can't beat a lifetime warranty! i'll probably be posting pics sometime this week since i am almost done working on my car (for the first 1/4 of 2014 that is).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lights are in. Mike from Diode Dynamics is great! Customer service so far is incredible and I haven't even installed anything yet. Everything looks and feels top quality which I'm happy about.

You are going to remove the HIDs when you turn her in-- right?

You'll have a "kit" for your next car.
Of course. My next car doesn't use the same bulbs, which sucks. Perhaps I can sell the kit afterwards. It's Diode Dynamics

make sure to get the relay harness for the HID's.
Done and done.

i installed my DDM kits (low beam and fogs) with the relay harness on both kits and had no issues and they both worked on the first try.

a lot of people "knock" on DDM because they are cheap HID kits, yes, from china but guess what, they have the same results as any other kits have! only reason other places are more expensive is because they use different manufacturers to make the bulbs, ballasts, wiring, etc.

this is all coming from me and i'm sure others may oppose what i say so this is just my opinion. but i am happy with what i paid for and you can't beat a lifetime warranty! i'll probably be posting pics sometime this week since i am almost done working on my car (for the first 1/4 of 2014 that is).
I was going to go with DDM but I'm just scared of the Sonata's wiring. I bought a kit for my old car but never installed them. I'll be posting pictures up when I install my kits. I have a little surprise for my fogs. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
What's going on everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here. I'm looking to install HID's in my 2013 SE. I want a 6000K kit in the low beams and red Cree LED's in the fog lights. I want her to look mean at night. My question is, what company and kits does everyone recommend? I almost pulled the trigger on DDMTuning but stopped. Then I almost got HIDextra and stopped. I know I need the harness as well, I'm just so confused. I don't need them to last 5+ years as the car is going back in about a year or so. I'm also not looking to spend $100+ on it to have it only a year. I'm scared of the DDM kits which is why I didn't order them. Any advice? Anyone have DDM?
I went with
HID Kit 55Watt Conversion 55W H4 H7 H11 H13 9003 9005 9006 6K 5K Hi Lo Bi Xenon | eBay

$40, couldn't be happier. No reason to spend $100 for some of these kits. my headlights look great.

Take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kifylwheuf9wmsb/HID 4300k with LED.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts