Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first car. I like it a lot. I have done a lot to it! It's the Accent GS, so it has manual locks/windows/mirrors, and no cruise control. It has about 87k miles.

I've done this to it so far:

-changed the front brake pads and rotors
-changed power steering, alternator, and A/C belts
-installed new Sony stereo (plus backup cam)
-installed dashcam with rear camera
-replace A/C idler pulley
-flushed brake lines
-new air filter and cabin air filter
-new spark plugs
-flushed coolant
-put a USB port in the center console, behind the parking brake lever
-changed oil and oil filter
-clayed the paint, buffed hood and roof, then applied Jescar Powerlock+ sealant
-new wipers
-shampooed interior and applied 303 protectant to plastic/vinyl
-washed and dressed engine bay

Am currently installing power door locks and the steering wheel controls from the other models (to control radio)

I intend to flush the power steering fluid, put new drum brakes/shoes, and maybe install seat heaters. I should also do the timing belt soon. I'm unsure if it's easy to change the transmission fluid but I think that is needed as well.

Maybe i will even install cruise control! It's been fun working on it.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
It's my first car. I like it a lot. I have done a lot to it! It's the Accent GS, so it has manual locks/windows/mirrors, and no cruise control. It has about 87k miles.

I've done this to it so far:

-changed the front brake pads and rotors
-changed power steering, alternator, and A/C belts
-installed new Sony stereo (plus backup cam)
-installed dashcam with rear camera
-replace A/C idler pulley
-flushed brake lines
-new air filter and cabin air filter
-new spark plugs
-flushed coolant
-put a USB port in the center console, behind the parking brake lever
-changed oil and oil filter
-clayed the paint, buffed hood and roof, then applied Jescar Powerlock+ sealant
-new wipers
-shampooed interior and applied 303 protectant to plastic/vinyl
-washed and dressed engine bay

Am currently installing power door locks and the steering wheel controls from the other models (to control radio)

I intend to flush the power steering fluid, put new drum brakes/shoes, and maybe install seat heaters. I should also do the timing belt soon. I'm unsure if it's easy to change the transmission fluid but I think that is needed as well.

Maybe i will even install cruise control! It's been fun working on it.

YOU, my friend, are a glutton for punishment!!!

The locks were hard enough. Problem was, I installed the locks, and THEN ordered the cruise control. Take a hint: do it NOW while you have it apart, because you have to take the same pieces out for the CC as you do for the door locks, so do it all in one weekend!

BTW, when you are adding the wiring: there is a plastic box on the firewall behind the brake pedal. There is a bolt holding it on. Remove the bolt and remove the plastic box. You will see the wiring harness and a rubber boot.

Make up a wiring harness with the wires you think you will need. THEN add 3-4 more and coil them up and tie-wrap them on both sides of the firewall, because once you get it through the rubber boot you will have a real hard time getting any more through.

I just took a philips screwdriver, poked a hole in the boot...VERY CAREFULLY!!! and pushed a stiff wire through it. Then I taped my wiring harness to it and pulled it through from the other side. I got the Rostra cruise control (the only one for this car, I think) and is had a packet of RTV with it to fill any gaps in the boot. Do this wile you're in there, because adding wiring this car is a PAIN!!! :D

PS: The good part: your car is drive-by-wire (electronic throttle) so you don't need to worry about passing wires out for the control unit. It uses the car's ECU to control the speed, if I remember right.

Reactions: crimsonnocturne

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YOU, my friend, are a glutton for punishment!!!

The locks were hard enough. Problem was, I installed the locks, and THEN ordered the cruise control. Take a hint: do it NOW while you have it apart, because you have to take the same pieces out for the CC as you do for the door locks, so do it all in one weekend!

BTW, when you are adding the wiring: there is a plastic box on the firewall behind the brake pedal. There is a bolt holding it on. Remove the bolt and remove the plastic box. You will see the wiring harness and a rubber boot.

Make up a wiring harness with the wires you think you will need. THEN add 3-4 more and coil them up and tie-wrap them on both sides of the firewall, because once you get it through the rubber boot you will have a real hard time getting any more through.

I just took a philips screwdriver, poked a hole in the boot...VERY CAREFULLY!!! and pushed a stiff wire through it. Then I taped my wiring harness to it and pulled it through from the other side. I got the Rostra cruise control (the only one for this car, I think) and is had a packet of RTV with it to fill any gaps in the boot. Do this wile you're in there, because adding wiring this car is a PAIN!!! :D

PS: The good part: your car is drive-by-wire (electronic throttle) so you don't need to worry about passing wires out for the control unit. It uses the car's ECU to control the speed, if I remember right.
When putting the locks in, unclipping the white plastic molex things for the door, and putting the rubber boot back on was the most annoying thing ever.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
When putting the locks in, unclipping the white plastic molex things for the door, and putting the rubber boot back on was the most annoying thing ever.

Yup. It sure was!

One person said he released the door stop lever and that lets the door swing wider, but you need someone to hold it because it can slam back into the fender, damaging both. Another said ht just took the doors right off, but I decided not to do that,

Reactions: crimsonnocturne
1 - 5 of 5 Posts