Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Just come across this great forum. We have a 2009 i20 style in sparkle blue and really love it. Had a trouble free Getz
before in bright red which really stood out in a car park. The i20 is great except for a stiff jerky throttle. It has been back
to the dealer 4 times, the last time Hyundai got involved. Worked ok for about 2 months then came back more jerky.Had
a go myself and fixed by spraying lube every where, but it's back again. Worse thing is the aggro from the wife as she is
learning to drive and says she cannot drive the car and threatens to sell the car and get a Ford Focus. NO WAY.
But we are both agreed that the sparkle blue is a fantastic colour, if only it would stay clean. LOL
Chris

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (Chris-heidi @ Apr 20 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314855
The i20 is great except for a stiff jerky throttle.
Chris, I can sympathise with your problem - I have it too!

Having been driving for more years than I care to remember, ( I used hand-signals during my test!), I was amazed to find myself stalling my new 1.4 Style when moving off. At first I put it down to having driven diesel cars for the last 20 years but now I am convinced it is down to a temperamental throttle. I find I have to over-rev the car just to make sure it doesn't stall. Especially at the traffic lights, some drivers stop so close that if you stopped suddenly they'd run into you.

I've not mentioned this to the dealer yet as the car is only a few weeks old and one or two other problems are emerging: eg the driver's head restraint moves up on its own when the car is in motion and the sealing strip down the nearside of the roof is not fitted correctly. There also appears to be some rust on the rear disks. I'm compiling a list and will shortly be asking the dealer to sort it out.

The poor throttle control may be a design feature of this engine - if it is I've not seen any posts regarding this on the forum, perhaps other 1.4 owners could enlighten us?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.
Yes it is a problem with that throttle, the wife informed me earlier that she has book it to go in again. Not sure what they can
do as Hyundai told them to change the cable the last time, but it did'nt work. I to have rust on the rear disk's, got so bad over last
christmas that they got jammed. Now it's ended me with sweaky brakes. Apart from all these problems I still love the little thing.
Chris

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (Chris-heidi @ Apr 20 2010, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314923
Hi.
Yes it is a problem with that throttle, the wife informed me earlier that she has book it to go in again. Not sure what they can
do as Hyundai told them to change the cable the last time, but it did'nt work. I to have rust on the rear disk's, got so bad over last
christmas that they got jammed. Now it's ended me with sweaky brakes. Apart from all these problems I still love the little thing.
Chris
Hi and :00000732: to the forums.

·
Registered
149 Posts
QUOTE (Chris-heidi @ Apr 20 2010, 10:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314923
Hi.
Chris
Cant help with the sticky throttle, mine is lovely and smooth and light!

Regarding the rear brakes, read my recent post on them, grinding and uneven wear including rust

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (Chris-heidi @ Apr 20 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314855
The i20 is great except for a stiff jerky throttle.
I've just come across this post on the JustAnswer site:

Question: "Hi I own a i30 ES 8 months old. There is a problem when I full away from a stationary position, when the engine is fully warmed up and the engine is idling at i think 750 RPM. As I pull away, there is a "flat spot" or hesitation, which often results in my stalling the car. I have tried adjusting my driving, which hasn't had any effect, I now find myself over revving the engine when pulling away. I havn't taken back to my dealer yet, but from a telephone conversation, they have never heard of this problem. any thoughts?"

Answer: "I suspect that you may have an issue with the throttle adaption (pedal position to ECU)
I advise you to take your car to a Hyundai main dealership to have a real time diagnostic check done so a full diagnose can be give (this will be done free of charge under warranty)
It could be a failed part on the engine system or just a software glitch that will require an ECU programme update."

I know the car in question is an i30, but it sounds an identical problem to what we're experiencing on our i20's. - Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Chris-heidi @ Apr 20 2010, 05:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314855
Hi all.
Just come across this great forum. We have a 2009 i20 style in sparkle blue and really love it. Had a trouble free Getz
before in bright red which really stood out in a car park. The i20 is great except for a stiff jerky throttle. It has been back
to the dealer 4 times, the last time Hyundai got involved. Worked ok for about 2 months then came back more jerky.Had
a go myself and fixed by spraying lube every where, but it's back again. Worse thing is the aggro from the wife as she is
learning to drive and says she cannot drive the car and threatens to sell the car and get a Ford Focus. NO WAY.
But we are both agreed that the sparkle blue is a fantastic colour, if only it would stay clean. LOL
Chris
Hi Chris,

Are you sure it's the throttle that's the problem and not the clutch ? The i20 is difficult to drive away smoothly from rest because the clutch, on our car at least, is set-up so that the 'biting' point is nearly at the point of full pedal release. If you car is anything like ours then I would definetly not recommend it for a learner driver.

Someone else on the forum was commenting about the problem and was told by the dealer that the clutch automatic adjustment gives them no scope to change the release point. I haven't talked to anyone at our dealership yet but I hope it isn't the case.

This clutch problem is the a serious flaw on an otherwise excellent car. It's a safety issue and could lead to an accident if you're trying to cross traffic at a junction and end up stalling part way across.

The only other thing I don't like, is that lack of a decent index in the handbook, so it takes ages to find anything.

regards,
Richard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh this sounds so familiar! I use my car to teach learner drivers and had the same problem- one of many if you read my other post.

It was eventually sorted and the garage say that the cable wasn't fitted correctly. I feel it works ok now but the car still stalls an amazing amount of times and uses fuel ++++

·
Registered
41 Posts
My throttle is also odd.
It has like a step.
But i don´t mind, because it makes it easier to drive smooth.
Keeping the pedal over the step, the car drives smooth.
If i push the pedal further, the turbo kicks in and there will be mayhem. :p
There are no chance of stalling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts