Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've been a Hyundai owner for about a year now and I absolutely LOVE my Hyundai 2006 Sonata. It's black, leather interior, V6....awesome, especially it being my first car. :) When we bought it, it was basically a steal. The amount we paid was really nice, especially for the condition it was in. I think it had 22k when we bought it, and it was in great condition. After we bought it though, there were some problems....the airbag light has come on, and the outside temperature thermometer is WAY off....and the passenger side door has trouble locking when it rains....but we have insurance...so those are not a big deal...but in all honesty even with those minor issues I love my **** Sonata.....and Hyundai (we also have an Azera, and almost bought a 2nd Sonata :grin:)....

But I have a few questions... there was a mysterious incident with the bumper in which I discovered it has been damaged (we have no idea how) and now there are two big scrapes and holes in the bumper...I know that no one can give me an exact estimate because it depends on the shop, but does anyone know how expensive it would be? I just washed it today so I'll try to get some pictures up.

Also, my mpg are keeping steady at 19.9 which I feel is kind of low....compared to what I read online and I understand it's different depending where you live....but I was thinking of taking it in to get a tune up and see if that will help out?

Anyways I'm glad I joined! Hyundai is AWESOME!

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Welcome here! Don't rush to get a Tune Up unless you have a lot of miles on the Sonata. Are you still under the New Car Warranty?

You mentioned Insurance? Yes the mileage seems low, but the V6 can get 15 City & then 30+ Highway, so I would not worry! :00000732:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 31 2010, 02:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328027
Welcome here! Don't rush to get a Tune Up unless you have a lot of miles on the Sonata. Are you still under the New Car Warranty?

You mentioned Insurance? Yes the mileage seems low, but the V6 can get 15 City & then 30+ Highway, so I would not worry! :00000732:
I don't think we are, but I could be wrong. I know when we purchased the car (from a Honda Dealer) we got the extended warranty, but I wasn't involved in that so I'll have to ask about it. But I'll definitely hold out on the tune up idea. :)

I was doing some searching on here and found that. The low mpg is the only that I dislike. Sometimes I've driven to the next town over and lost a quarter of a tank and I'm baffled....but then again maybe I don't drive efficiently.

QUOTE (Big B @ May 31 2010, 02:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328028
Reset your MPG computer, also fill up divide your miles driven by the ammount to put in for accurate MPG's.
I'll definitely try that out.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I bought two 06 Sonata LX's about a week apart. I liked the first one so much, I got another one for my wife.

They had some silly problems - the horns, windshield washer pump, the outside temp sensor. Also, the rear brake light bulbs will go pretty quickly (replace them with sylvania long life's).

But they have been totally trouble free since - they are fun to drive, fit and finish are very good for a car in that price range, and the V6 has plenty of power - enjoy it - they discontinued the V6 engine.

With a V6 in any car of my experience, mpg is highly dependent on type of driving - For mostly city driving, I get 18-21 mpg - open road mileage is much higher.

As someone said, you don't need a tune-up. My recommendation is to use name brand synthetic oil ( I have used Mobil 1 for 35 years) and OEM Hyundai oil filters. At 22K miles, you might want to change the engine air filter.

You HAVE to change the cabin air filter once a year - they are not kidding - that sucker catches a lot of dirt and leaves.

I do all my service work myself. All of the above service work is easy to do yourself with the only caveat being that it may be confusing the first time around. But, all you have to do is use the search box and you can get detailed service information.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (sonata_dude @ May 30 2010, 11:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328030
I don't think we are, but I could be wrong. I know when we purchased the car (from a Honda Dealer) we got the extended warranty, but I wasn't involved in that so I'll have to ask about it. But I'll definitely hold out on the tune up idea. :)
If you are under 5 Years or 60K, you still get to use the New Car Warranty. Of course since you bought additional protection,

make sure to familiarize yourself with those Contract terms too. Even though what you mentioned is not of a Warranty nature,

it is good to know what you have!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (kn5owa @ May 31 2010, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328066
I bought two 06 Sonata LX's about a week apart. I liked the first one so much, I got another one for my wife.

They had some silly problems - the horns, windshield washer pump, the outside temp sensor. Also, the rear brake light bulbs will go pretty quickly (replace them with sylvania long life's).
It's funny how we have similar problems now that you mention it....and the horn...I wish it was more manly. But I've had to change the headlights twice in about 2 months. I had both them go out so I changed them, then I had a new bulb go out and a fog light...it's a pain since you have to take the whole light out but that's life...

But they have been totally trouble free since - they are fun to drive, fit and finish are very good for a car in that price range, and the V6 has plenty of power - enjoy it - they discontinued the V6 engine.
Exactly, I haven't had any trouble at all under the hood, just some minor issues. And I love the V6, I can definitely feel the difference when I drive one of our other cars.

With a V6 in any car of my experience, mpg is highly dependent on type of driving - For mostly city driving, I get 18-21 mpg - open road mileage is much higher.
I don't really do a lot of city driving but like I said I live in a very hilly part of PA, and when I drive normal I consistently get ab mpg of 19.9, I've driven faster on the highway and main roads and have gotten it up to 22 mpg but I felt like my gas was running out faster...

As someone said, you don't need a tune-up. My recommendation is to use name brand synthetic oil ( I have used Mobil 1 for 35 years) and OEM Hyundai oil filters. At 22K miles, you might want to change the engine air filter.

You HAVE to change the cabin air filter once a year - they are not kidding - that sucker catches a lot of dirt and leaves.

I do all my service work myself. All of the above service work is easy to do yourself with the only caveat being that it may be confusing the first time around. But, all you have to do is use the search box and you can get detailed service information.
We actually do our own maintenance ourselves too. We just changed the oil and engine air filter earlier in the spring along with new oil and new brakes. But I'm definitely going to look into getting the cabin air filter changed. To be honest with you, usually we just change brakes, oil, lights, and other little things...but if I can do anything to add to the longevity and efficiency of my first car I definitely will :)

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (sonata_dude @ May 31 2010, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328106
We actually do our own maintenance ourselves too. We just changed the oil and engine air filter earlier in the spring along with new oil and new brakes. But I'm definitely going to look into getting the cabin air filter changed. To be honest with you, usually we just change brakes, oil, lights, and other little things...but if I can do anything to add to the longevity and efficiency of my first car I definitely will :)
Yes many others do their own maintenance as well. What do you do for the 30 & 60K Service? Oh the Head Lights are under Warranty

in the 06 Unit. The last Year the 5/60 applied :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 31 2010, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328118
Yes many others do their own maintenance as well. What do you do for the 30 & 60K Service? Oh the Head Lights are under Warranty

in the 06 Unit. The last Year the 5/60 applied :thumbsup:
Hmm.. I just looked through our warranty from Honda (or the from whomever), and I can't find anything regarding headlights...it includes hazards and turn signals I believe, but not headlights....but then again I could be looking at the wrong thing...

What do we do for the 30 & 60K Service? Honestly I'm not sure. This being my first car, we haven't hit 30k yet, and the Azera I think has 40k. What do you do?

And, I spoke to my dad about the cabin air filter and he said he once tried to replace it, but couldn't find a filter at the auto parts store. Are they only sold at the dealer?

Also, here's a picture of my 06' Sonata. The black looks amazing (when it is clean) but my favorite is the contrast between the chrome and black...especially the door handles.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I use only OEM filters from the dealer - the prices are as low - or lower than second source stuff around here, some of which comes from dubious sources when you start reading labels.

30K and 60K service?- keep doing what you are doing now - perhaps new coolant/antifreeze at some point - my LX-s hit five years in the fall - so maybe then. Also, I change batteries every four years on a preventive maintenance basis - now using batteries I got at Walleyworld (walmart) at about $60 a pop.

As a general statement - engines run much cleaner now with better design and far better oils, gas, etc - makes maintenance less of a hassle.

Black - lately I've been kind of looking at Mercedes products - and despite the ads - they seem to come in black and as a second choice, you can also get black. But right now the temp outside is 92 degrees and I don't have a garage.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (sonata_dude @ May 31 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328213
Hmm.. I just looked through our warranty from Honda (or the from whomever), and I can't find anything regarding headlights...it includes hazards and turn signals I believe, but not headlights....but then again I could be looking at the wrong thing...
And, I spoke to my dad about the cabin air filter and he said he once tried to replace it, but couldn't find a filter at the auto parts store. Are they only sold at the dealer?
Back in 05/06 your Dad was right, but now you can find Filters almost anywhere. Honda will not pay for any Warranty work if you Service the Car

Yourself. Honda does not service Hyundai. :thumbsup: Here is the Headlamp Warranty. I'll show you where our Top secret Warranty is someday!

Also depending on where you live, you would need to do a A/T Service. Many of the requirements are listed here and in the Manual

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 31 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328249
Back in 05/06 your Dad was right, but now you can find Filters almost anywhere. Honda will not pay for any Warranty work if you Service the Car

Yourself. Honda does not service Hyundai. :thumbsup: Here is the Headlamp Warranty. I'll show you where our Top secret Warranty is someday!

Also depending on where you live, you would need to do a A/T Service. Many of the requirements are listed here and in the Manual
That's why I was confused. I thought my dad has mentioned that we can take it to any Hyundai dealer and they'd fix any issues (obviously not all)....I found the warranty but I'll have to do some searching to figure out what it's about. I'm sad to say, we usually don't have anything to do with the warranty after we sign it lol...

And as for that warranty piece you attached.... it's very intriguing...

Black - lately I've been kind of looking at Mercedes products - and despite the ads - they seem to come in black and as a second choice, you can also get black. But right now the temp outside is 92 degrees and I don't have a garage.
That's one huge downfall... black car with leather seats...and no sunroof.... let's just say I have to drive with the windows down for awhile because it gets really really hot..

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
This week it will be over 100 every day with it hitting 113 next Week. We have selective Maintenance performers here it seems who do what

they think is good enough. At times it isn't? Remember you have that additional Protection Policy, so you need to find out about that too?.

What Company issued it, and who will accept it :thumbsup: :00000732:

·
Registered
878 Posts
QUOTE (sonata_dude @ May 31 2010, 12:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328023
But I have a few questions... there was a mysterious incident with the bumper in which I discovered it has been damaged (we have no idea how) and now there are two big scrapes and holes in the bumper...I know that no one can give me an exact estimate because it depends on the shop, but does anyone know how expensive it would be? I just washed it today so I'll try to get some pictures up.
Mine suffered a similar fate last winter. It cost $800 to replace by a body shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts