Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. CrazyRoadWarrior here. If you are wondering why the name. Let me it explain.

Here is my story:

I am a systems engineer on a project that is coming to an end. One day, a company called me out of the blue and offered me a job making 25% more then I am making now. Downside, it's in the Columbia SC area. I live in Charleston SC. The drive is 115 miles one way. My new job is not only a pay increase but also a promotion. Talked it over with the wife and decided to take the job. I thought about renting an apt, but I like sleeping in my own bed and being with my family. So, commuting was my only option.

Now, what car to get. I required 3 can't live without options: Manual Transmission, AC, and Cruise control. I looked at Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai. Well, as you tell by my post here, the Hyundai won. So this past Tuesday, I picked up my Beautiful 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS. I tried to post a pic, but I have to be a member for 7 days. Oh well, it is a dark grey color.

So, I'll be driving 1115 a week. I will try to give updates on how things go like MPG, handling, etc.

Also, if there is anything I should be aware of, please let me know. I start my new job Dec 3rd. I know that is weird but I have to do an exit interview on Dec 2nd. All the big whigs are out on vacation due to Thanksgiving.

So far, I am LOVING IT!! Peppy engine. My only complaint is the clutch. Very Very touchy. It reminds me of a sport type clutch. I'll get used to it. I am used to driving Jeeps.

The only added stuff I got when I bought it was upgrading to the 10yr/100k mile bumper to bumper. Not sure if that was a mistake, but it included a rental for any warranty repairs. So if I am down a car, they will provide one for me to drive a ton of miles on. :D

If there is anything I should be concerned with or should look for, just let me know. Should be an interesting adventure. :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
:00000732:

·
Registered
639 Posts
We also bought the extended warranty to 100k. My wife drives 17k miles poer year or so.

A potential power window motor, starter, alternator, fuel pump or A/C repair will make it worthwhile, not to mention possible computer problems as cars these days are so complicated.

As for the new Elantra, you might consider the rear KYB shocks that many of us here have upgraded to, and for the price, it is a great upgrade.

WELCOME!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Randy - I might consider those, but for now, I am going to keep it stock. For the moment. So far the suspention is pretty tight but I have a feeling over time, that will loosen up some.

·
22,788 Posts
:00000732: to the family. Congrats on the car and the new job.

Agree with Randy that the KYB upgrade will do wonders for the ride/handling characteristics. Best single investment I can recommend.

Just enjoy the car. Expect those miles per gallon to improve slightly after you hit the 8-10K mark. Which, in your case, will only take a couple of hours! :wink2:

Be careful out there on that road.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Congratulations.... but I wish you waited until 2014 models to come out!! Engine is new and they fixed many of the issues pre 2013 cars were having!! But congratulations, none-the-less, it is a great car

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Congratulations.... but I wish you waited until 2014 models to come out!! Engine is new and they fixed many of the issues pre 2013 cars were having!! But congratulations, none-the-less, it is a great car
Engine is only new on the Sport model, not the SE or Limited. I'm sure they did some bug squashing though. From the pricing slashes around here, he probably could have gotten a fully loaded Limited for close to what the '14 SE will cost. That GLS with manual is a steal now. Throw a set of KYB's on it and it will be a good road car for all those miles without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
About the KYB shocks. Are you talking about just changing out the shocks in the back or changing both shocks and struts?
Just the rears. There is a huge thread about it, but in a nutshell is eliminates one of the more aggravating shortcomings of the ride and handling of the car, for a relatively small investment. Best bang for the buck mod on he Elantra.

·
22,788 Posts
Unfortunately, the front struts aren't scheduled to find their way onto the retail shelves until late February, more or less, as I was informed by the KYB guys. The KYB Gas-A-Just is a great bang-for-the-buck product. Simple install, about 1 hour. Off with the old, on with the magnificent.

Offered at lots of online retailer. I found mine at PartsGeek.com. About $64.50 each, now, with free shipping...a 3-4 day arrival to your region. If you go online and fill out a customer satisfaction survey, FIRST, you'll get a code to use that will reduce the total price by $5. Like getting a "better" tire pressure gauge for free. Part Number: 96885-07133851

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Welcome from the other side of the state! That is quite a drive, but you should at least see pretty decent gas mileage as long as you take it a little easy on that gas pedal!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
if there is anything I should be aware of, please let me know.
Go to pure-gas.org for many many sources along your route for 100% (ethanol-free) gasoline. The Elantra is low on torque & needs very careful driving for highest mpg. Your long commute will probably cause you to drive at higher speeds. You will have to balance your time against your mpg. Elantra will get well over 40mpg, below & around 60mph. Elantra cruise control is excellent. Driving carefully with 100% gasoline, tires above 35psi, excellent wheel alignment, & spot-on tuned Elantra. My own Elantra, starting in May, has averaged 39+mpg. Your long commute should beat my mpg, unless you drive 75-80mph.

·
22,788 Posts
Your long commute will probably cause you to drive at higher speeds.
That can be corrected if ample time to get there is factored in. Tail winds are your friend! You'll soon see that advantage on your MPG display.

And the real gas will give you an advantage. Hard to say about the trade-off. It depends on the price difference between it and E10. I seen some stations that were really proud of that 100% stuff. Even in a petroleum-rich state like Oklahoma with ample refineries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the link. Using 100% gas with no ethanol will always give you the best mileage. I will be using cruise control all the way to and from work. I am going to be taking some queues from the hypermiler group. Also, I will give myself plenty of time to get to work. Coming home, I can just cruise. I'll probably drive at 65mgh. The speed limit on I26 is 70mph. I am going to see if I can get that magical 40mpg. :D

·
22,788 Posts
I am going to see if I can get that magical 40mpg. :D
It's "magical" for some, But I can hit those numbers, pretty frequently. You'll be able too, with some focused highway driving and acquired skills.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the link. Using 100% gas with no ethanol will always give you the best mileage. I will be using cruise control all the way to and from work. I am going to be taking some queues from the hypermiler group. I'll probably drive at 65mgh. I am going to see if I can get that magical 40mpg. :D
But I can hit those numbers, pretty frequently. You'll be able too, with some focused highway driving and acquired skills.
At one point, 7 of 11 tanks of my 100% gasoline were 40mpg or more. My first tank of 100% gasoline gave 43mpg, so no need to 'break-in' Elantra, just careful driving. You'll pile the miles on in your commute, but even at 100,000 miles, Elantra should still be giving 40+mpg.

One hypermiling technique not universally taught:
When approaching a rising hill, accelerate easy to above your normal pace. As the hill road tips upward, DON'T lose any speed(hard to do). As you get to the steepest part of the hill, ease your velocity down, till you are at hill top flat & you are going a bit SLOWER than your normal pace. Then, ease your speed up to your normal pace. If the hill descends immediately from hill top flat, don't accelerate with your gas pedal. Let the descent give your speed back to you. This is called flattening out the hill, & works well to save fuel AND NOT LOSE TOO MUCH SPEED. In essence, you are exchanging kinetic energy of your velocity for potential energy of the hill, & vice versa, using your gasoline's chemical energy in your gas tank as little as possible. Oh, yeah. Turn off your a/c while ascending a hill.

If the hill is fairly steep, such that you can't hold your high gear(specially with the automatic tranny), shift down, a gear, BEFORE you reach the hill. Don't have your car shifting gears, while on the hill.... terrible way to lose lots of mph AND mpg!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
...Downside, it's in the Columbia SC area. I live in Charleston SC. The drive is 115 miles one way. ... So, I'll be driving 1115 a week.
One investment, if you haven't made it yet, is a full size spare tire, jack, and tire iron. For the distance you drive, having these extras will be nice to have if you ever need them. You can get a replacement tire of the same size/brand mounted on a steel wheel from TireRack or similar vendor, and then locally, pick up a decent tire iron and inexpensive (and small) scissor jack. The tire fits just fine in the well, and you can leave the styrofoam filler (that's in the well now) in the basement or garage.

On occasion, I drive between NY and PA at off hours, and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the side of the interstate in a cell phone dead zone with nothing more than an air pump and a can of snot to save me. The one time I recall getting a flat while out on the road - many years ago - I changed the tire in about 8 minutes. Probably a record of some sort, but it was January, temp in the mid 30s, and raining. So there was definitely an incentive to change it fast!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts