Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 2016 Sonata Hybrid with 120,000 miles that blessed me with the well known HEV system light and a failure to start.

The code that appeared with it was the P1B77. I've seen the Kia bulletin regarding the safety plug issue. In the bulletin it says if the fuse is reading less than 1 Ohm, to switch it for the 150A fuse. Mine is reading at .1 Ohm. The issue is, my plug looks different than any of the pictures or videos I have seen other affected plugs. Does this bulletin apply to the Hyundai models also? If so, has anyone found the other style plug/fuse in the 150A option (I'll include a photo).

I have never had reason to inspect the battery too closely after driving but tonight, when I had the issue reoccur and uncovered the battery, it seemed really warm. I'm not sure if this temp was typical and I'm just unfamiliar or if it was actually high. It was hot but not I could keep my hand on the shrouding without any issue. The fan also didn't seem to be putting out much airflow, but it was running. Also not sure what the "normal" airflow should look like.

I should include the first time I had the issue was 4 days ago. Today, after making the same drive, (about an hour, 70 miles and about 40F outside) I shut the car off in the garage and out of curiosity, started it again. Sure enough, got the HEV light and no start. I've driven it between the two occurrences on short trips, less than 45 minutes/30 miles and had no issues.

I'm not 100% sure where to go from here. I did see a video of checking to continuity through the Power Relay Assembly while its removed as a way to verify it's functioning. I was thinking after finals this week I'd try that as well as inspect the fan to see if it's dirty or gummed up. The torque stripe on the fan screws seams to be broken so I don't know that I'll be the first to get into the fan.

Any suggestions are welcome! It seems like this issue has been around a while. Should I just order a relay and safety switch? The dealership is about a week out on even getting the car in, so I'm just trying to eliminate and hopefully fix what I can in the meantime.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Gas Tints and shades

Gas Cable Auto part Cylinder Electronic component

Fixture Gas Auto part Vehicle door Automotive wheel system

· Registered
1,840 Posts
The VIN is KMHE24L16GA012276

I feel confident removing the panels. It’s just secured by a few 10mm bolts, right?
I already know what your remedy is, put it back together and drop it at local dealer.

You have, (5) open RECALL on that VIN, 1 of which deals with your HEV concern, to which they will inspect the relays and PRA block and orange cabe out the right side there. If the block is melted, you win FREE block and PANASONIC relay set

If the block ok, you win FREE PANASONIC relay set.. problem is, Hyundai Motor only hand out to dealer with VIN attached to order, so plan on leaving for few days

Message incoming shortly

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already know what your remedy is, put it back together and drop it at local dealer.

You have, (5) open RECALL on that VIN, 1 of which deals with your HEV concern, to which they will inspect the relays and PRA block and orange cabe out the right side there. If the block is melted, you win FREE block and PANASONIC relay set

If the block ok, you win FREE PANASONIC relay set.. problem is, Hyundai Motor only hand out to dealer with VIN attached to order, so plan on leaving for few days

Message incoming shortly
I took the car in today. They addressed the 4 recalls and put a relay on order for the 5th, T4M coded one. They said the part should be in within the next couple days. They did say they found a leak in the timing cover and quoted $1500 to replace that. I need to research that a little to see if it's something I'm comfortable doing and maybe get a couple quotes from other shops.

· Registered
666 Posts
I took the car in today. They addressed the 4 recalls and put a relay on order for the 5th, T4M coded one. They said the part should be in within the next couple days. They did say they found a leak in the timing cover and quoted $1500 to replace that. I need to research that a little to see if it's something I'm comfortable doing and maybe get a couple quotes from other shops.
I would want to see the leak in person or a picture of it...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s my thought as well. I picked up late yesterday evening and the tech had gone home already so I could let chat with them to see where/how bad it was.
Nu in Hybrid not been a leaker, they can seep for yrs and never lose the first qt.

Is it leaking so bad it dripping of engine and panel while you stand there, or is hidden by black road dirt and dry panel
I’m waiting for the service writer to call back with more info from the tech. I couldn’t see anything but I’m not sure if I’m looking in the right spot. Got a quote from another shop and it was actually pretty comparable to the dealers, if it does end up being an issue.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership called today. They got the PRA in for the recall work. Dropping the car off tomorrow morning. I'm guessing this is what the tech was talking about in regards to the timing cover leak.

This is with the camera against the firewall, looking forward, with the right wheel well in the right side of the picture.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Font Pattern Metal Fashion accessory Art

· Registered
1,840 Posts
The dealership called today. They got the PRA in for the recall work. Dropping the car off tomorrow morning. I'm guessing this is what the tech was talking about in regards to the timing cover leak.

This is with the camera against the firewall, looking forward, with the right wheel well in the right side of the picture.

View attachment 477207 View attachment 477206 View attachment 477208

I dont see a qt over last 6yr there, no raw wet oil, bunch of road dirt

Keep that $1500 in your wallt

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont see a qt over last 6yr there, no raw wet oil, bunch of road dirt

Keep that $1500 in your wallt
That’s what I decided to do. Going to clean it up, see if I can get a better idea of severity and more accurate location while continuing to watch the oil level but I didn’t see anything fresh or wet.
Any advice for degreasing and washing that off? I’m not going to get electrocuted from the hybrid system am I?

· Registered
1,840 Posts
That’s what I decided to do. Going to clean it up, see if I can get a better idea of severity and more accurate location while continuing to watch the oil level but I didn’t see anything fresh or wet.
Any advice for degreasing and washing that off? I’m not going to get electrocuted from the hybrid system am I?
Can of engine clean, or brake Clean $$.

As noted, I dont see any raw wet oil puking out, and I'll venture oil pan and under panel dry too

Couple yr ago we had customer with similar condition, had extended warranty, the inspector come out and looked, he asked where it was running off and hitting ground, as panel and oil pan dry. He said company wont touch unless it all wet and dripping on ground. He left.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for Dog Patch Steve on this forum, and some common sense :). Dealership is trying to get paid and make money off warranty and customer same time... Typical.
Yeah, seriously, thanks to both of you for your contribution! Hopefully after picking the car up, that was the last time of seeing that issue!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have warning light come for HEV check hybrid system in orange , so once I switch off and on then there is not more sign , any idea ?
I'm not sure. With my issue it took a long time to be able to turn the car on and not have the light again. It wouldnt reset with just turning the car off immediately and then back on. It seemed like maybe my PRA was getting hot because there was an electrical smell and once it cooled down the light would be gone.

· Registered
24 Posts
> Dealership is trying to get paid and make money off warranty and customer same time... Typical.
Slightly off topic, but during my visit to the local Hyundai dealership in July, one of my license plate bulbs was out. Dealership wanted $51.46 (just re-checked the paperwork)! Went home and changed it myself for $1.50 (bulbs came in 2-pack for $2.99). Took less than 10 minutes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts